Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

83 Camaro z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 Camaro z28

Hello guys,

This is my first post to the board, so please excuse me if this is the wrong board to past this on, or any other mistakes =).

Anyway, I recently purchased an 83 Camaro z28 in decent shape. The previous owner had a tow package attached to it, <for reasons unknown>. He ended up hitting something while in reverse.. catching the tow package on a concrete protector. This cracked the fiberglass trimming on the back end, and caused the rear quarterpanels above the rear wheels to buckle outwards. I live in a very small town, and the nearest body shop is close to an hour away. Not wanting to take the car out on the freeway just yet, I figured i'd drop a post and as you all, in your opinion, around how much do you think repairing this would cost? Yes, it is hard to estimate without see'ing it, but lets assume a worst case scenario, which I would assume would be replacing the back quarterpanels and fiberglass triming.

Not being *to* familiar with camaro's, feel free to correct me if the g3's body isnt paneled, furthermore, if anyone could direct me to some helpful reading on restoring an 83 z28, It would be greatly appreciated.

Much appreciated
Sean O'Toole
Old 05-11-2003, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well without actually seeing the extent of the damage its kinda hard to estimate. If the quarter panels are bowed out you might be replacing a lot more then just the quarters. F-body's are unibody cars, meaning no actual full frame. Look underneath the car and see what is all bent. Then reply back here. If it by chance looks pretty straigh underneath you will just have to get replacement quarter panels. Pulling dents outa cars is easy. But when the dent is bowed out that makes it a lot harder and there is a really good chance of underbody damage.

Could you possibly get some pics up?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a dent on my rear quarter on my '92, and it cost the insurance company close to $700 to have it fixed once labor, painted, etc. was figured in.

I can't believe anyone would put a tow package on a camaro. I saw one when I was up in Michigan at the hotel I stayed at and I was just floored.

Mathius