Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Want to install tilt w\cruise wiper delay

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z / 1992 Corvette
Engine: 305 TPI / LT1
Transmission: 700R4
Want to install tilt w\cruise wiper delay

I currently have a standard (no cruise or wiper delay) steering column.
I want to install a tilt steering column with cruise and wiper delay (oh a horn too, never knew how much I'd miss having one).
Besides buying a wiring harness, what other mod\part(s) would I need?
Any suggestions??????
Old 05-08-2003, 09:31 AM

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Crate
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I did the exact thing you're asking about, but didn't take it as far as you want to. It's going to be alot of work.

First thing you need is an ENTIRE tilt steering column out of another F-body. I've heard other GM cars have the same length column, but I'm not sure.

I grabbed the whole column all the way through the firewall to where it bolts to the steering pump. That way you know you can just switch it out completely.

Take EVERYTHING attached to the column, including all wiring harnesses, some items do NOT interchange with standard columns, like turn signal cams, even the ignition switch is reversed. You can swap in your original key lock cylinder so you don't need to get a new key.

That is the easy part (relatively). The hard part is then finding a working delay wiper motor and an entire cruise control assembly out of another car. The wiper motor won't be hard to find, but hooking up a stock cruise would be a chore.

Your existing wiring harness is all set up for both cruise and delay wipers, so as long as you got a delay wiper motor and the correct stalk, you just plug in the new motor and away you go.

Personally, I kept my standard wiper and installed an aftermarket cruise control. I love the tilt column, much easier to climb into.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:50 AM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z / 1992 Corvette
Engine: 305 TPI / LT1
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks for your input and suggestions, kanuck. I did read in a post that steering columns in all 3rd gens (and 4th too, I think) are all the same length\size.
I won't be doing the actual work, I just hunt down what I want....
I had an 85' IROC with all the bells & whistles, It was a pleasure to drive (I put 6,000 mi on it the first month I got it & didn't even leave town ).