Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

transferring a title through mail

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
transferring a title through mail

i have no idea where this post should go, but here's my question. i am looking to buy a trans am down in virginia (about 7 hours away from me) I was going to drive down there, rent a trailer from Uhaul, and bring it back. Uhaul said my pathfinder isn't big enough to tow the car, so they won't rent to me. Now my options are hire a shipping company (like $500) or get the car registered, drive down there with someone, and drive it back home. Either way, I still have to figure out how to transfer the title. People who have done this before, how did you handle that? Did you send a money order through the mail, then the seller sent the title through the mail, or what?
Old 04-18-2003, 02:57 PM

I know some people that have done that and it takes both buyer and seller trust (unless you have a way to purchase temp tags).

You would work a deal with the seller priopr to meeting and it would work like this:

1. - Basically, you go meet the seller with cash in hand (and I would inform your insurance company to add the vehicle to your policy).
2. - Give the seller the cash, the seller then gives you the keys and original title that he/she has signed over to you. By having a title signed over to you (and I think it may need to be notorized also), the car is legally yours (you then take that title to your local title agency and they complete the transaction and give you a fresh printed title with your name).
3. - Sorry, back to the steps. After you have a legal title and keys, drive the car home.
4. - You would then remove the seller's plates from the car and mail them back.

That's it. If the seller does not want you to drive on his/her plates, you should get temp tags (unless you're gutsy to see if you can skate home with no plates, but I wouldn't).

That's what little I know on the matter. Is it legal, I *ASSUME* yes.... Do I know for sure, NO....
Old 04-18-2003, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
i got my car from ohio, i am in jersey.
we worked alot of it out through email. it is a little risky so make sure you really trust the person, it all worked out great for me. i sent him half the payment for the car and a "contract" that said what the money was for and that the rest would be given upon reciept of the vehicle. he fedex overnighted teh title to me with a similar agreement with his signature. after that, all i did was grab my bro and a friend and we drove out to ohio, i gave him the second bank check and took the keys, talked for a bit and came home. no problems at all! the risky part is you sending the money with your "contract" because its only signed by you, so i guess legally it doesnt really hold up to anything. but i had no problems. good luck!
Old 04-18-2003, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
and as for plates, i got the title well in time to get to my local motor vehicle to register and get plates and then get the insurance in order. i drove it home with "real" tags, no need for temp ones.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
well theres 2 ways to go about doing it....first way, get the VIN nmebr and call your insurance company so they can insure it (that must be done first in either case) then go to DMV they will give u TEMP tags for the car that are good for a week i believe, go down here and get it, stick your temp tags on and drive it back, or next plan, take a extra set of tags with u (off your camaro or something) put them on the car and drive it, if u get pulled over just explain to the officer that u just bought it, show him where the sale date is on the title and he will more than likely say "ok have a good day sir" i normally just use another set of plates but i havent had to get a car from more that 50 miles away, id sugest getting temp tags at dmv would be your best bet, im pretty sure they are under $10, they might want u to have proof of insurance with u when u get them, hope this helps
Old 04-18-2003, 08:54 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
You don't need to call the insurance company first. By law, you have 30 days of overlapping coverage on a newly purchased car. What that means is, you can buy the car today, get it home in a week and still have plenty of time to insure it. Any claims during those 30 days will be covered.

As for the rest, buy the car, get the title and keys and drive it home. If the original owner wants his plates back, go to any local DMV, show them the title and request a temporary tag. Or you could just drive the car responsibly without plates and show the title if you get pulled over.

I bought a car in May of 2001 in St Louis and drove it to Minnesota with an Indy 500 plate that expired in June of 93. It wasn't even an official plate. The car is flashy and I was cruising about 80 the whole way. As long as you stay to the right and don't hot dog, you won't be singled out.

Old 04-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
thanks for the responses. i am having a shipping company make the delivery for me. for the title, i am sending him half the payment, when he gets that, i have the shipping company pick up the car. when i get the car, i send him the rest of the payment, then he sends the title. the seller lives down the street from zepher, who initiated the contact between us, so i trust him.