Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Custom Diamond Plate interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Diamond Plate interior

What you guys think of the interior? now has a black carpet and white face reverse indiglo gauges (140mph). Still looking for 1) Headliner shell 2)racing seats with harnesses can anyone help me out?

http://members.aol.com/ooospeedfreakooo/firebird.html
Old 04-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
sorry, not a fan at all. sub setup looks half-assed (carpeting is not that hard), and the console is way too boxy. the mats just look dangerous....
Old 04-12-2003, 08:03 PM

Car: 82' Z28 IROC Clone (SOLD)
Engine: 355
Transmission: Built TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
I like....I'd really like to see some more pictures of the console...It does look boxy around the radio, But I'd like to see some more of it before I decide how to do mine!
Old 04-12-2003, 08:47 PM

Hm...the interior is different, looks cool though. A *touch* too boxy....

Get rid of your seat covers too And make a good looking sub box!
Old 04-12-2003, 09:02 PM

Subs

To all of you who feel the need to bust on my subs.. the box is now covered in black carpet as the rest of the car is now black carpet.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
not a fan of the diamond plate in a camaro. that should be in a big *** jeep or truck with 44" boggers, not a camaro. as far as the box goes, is that whole thing made of plywood? i've heard some horror stories of people making sub boxes out of plywood, and them just exploding from the subs hitting.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Leave the diamond plate to trucks.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:48 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
very creative and I can see it must've taken a good amount of time. not my style though. you'll probably find yourself tiring of your feet slipping on it, I think. but to each his own.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:13 AM

You would think that he would make the sub box also metal since he made everything else it. BUt anyways it looks terrible, that has to be the biggest waste of money I have ever seen. I think people and steor systems are getting way to overrated. As far as priorities I put my car before my stereo.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you do the work yourself, or did you pay someone? If you paid someone to do that, you wasted your money. If you did it yourself.... well, I applaud your effort. I think that's the very first totally custom console I've seen in a third gen. Most people here just slap in a 4th gen console and call it custom or paint it. The boxiness of the console isn't as big a deal to me as everyone else, but the diamond plate definately seems like it doesn't fit.

The bright diamond plate fillers on the carpet just seem to make your carpet look dirty, and it really makes that red interior look bad. I'd try a different color scheme maybe. The car really has a dark look to the inside of it, and then you have these bright reflective steel plates that stick out like a sore thumb.

Again, I applaud your creativity, but it doesn't appeal to me.

Mathius
Old 04-13-2003, 10:28 AM

Who else?

OK well now that everyone has effectivly bashed on my car i want to see someother custom ideas? I have no problem taking criticism for my car and i guess its safe to say no one will be stealing my ideas but if your going to bash on it lets see what you guys did with the old ratty 3rd gen interior? As far as wasting money... all the metal work was done for free at a former place of employment and i have about $350 in my stereo its not a competition just sounds better than the stock system.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:27 AM

Re: Custom Diamond Plate interior

Originally posted by oOSpeedFreakOo
What you guys think of the interior?
Don't ask if you don't really want to know.

And asking to see everyone elses customization because they don't like yours is silly. I don't do ballet, but i can still say a dancer sucks if shes on her *** more than shes on her feet.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine a rocket sucks.

We just dont think it looks good, sorry if you don't like hearing it.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 irocz
Engine: 350tip
Transmission: 700r4
do you live in mexico?

Really doesnt look good imo.

The seat covers, well thier seat covers.

Diamond plate? Ghetto ridaz.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Who else?

but if your going to bash on it lets see what you guys did with the old ratty 3rd gen interior?

Old 04-13-2003, 01:52 PM

Amazing Custom X

Personally I don't like the diamond look at all. I'm just not a big fan of over-the-top interiors. It looks like my dad's truck toolbox threw up inside the car. But I do have to appluad the effort as it most likely took ALOT of hard work (and a few headaches).

Also my opinion really doesn't matter, if he is happy with it.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:28 PM

Car: 82' Z28 IROC Clone (SOLD)
Engine: 355
Transmission: Built TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
Not everyone is bashing...I said I liked....I was really thinking of the floor thing...I asked for more pictures!
Old 04-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '81 Trans Am
Engine: 6.6L
Transmission: auto 350
im not that big on the way you did the console....I think maybe it would look good if you accented it with the metal but theres just too much there and its not pleaseing to the eye...maybe in person it would look nicer not sure. I did simaler thing with my amp rack guys. This is all I'll ever do with this metal anymore would be too much i think IMO.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
i liek it my only problem is with the seat cover but i love it think it looks mean
Old 04-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Supreme Member

I must applaud you for the effort to make that, and also to dare to do something different.

I think maybe it's just a little too much....

What about possbly covering up with some black leather or black fabric. I believe it looks good as accents
Old 04-13-2003, 11:00 PM
TGO Supporter

CustomX...

WOW! you wanted someone else's interior, there you go. Talk about smooth. Except... uhh... what's up with the steering wheel? The tilt shaft looks too thin and long.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:20 PM

well i will be honest man, its not really my style, but im not flaming you at all, i thank what you did is awesome, becuase you did what you wanted to do, and dont let anyone else tell you diffrent, you have nice crafstmanship skills, that metal you worked with is not easy, very thick stuff,

no worries man i got flamed alot when i did my swap,

Last edited by FIREBIRD7777; 04-13-2003 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Re: CustomX...

Originally posted by CaysE
WOW! you wanted someone else's interior, there you go. Talk about smooth. Except... uhh... what's up with the steering wheel? The tilt shaft looks too thin and long.
its the stock shaft. does look kinda small in the pics dont it......
Old 04-14-2003, 08:23 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
That's quite possibly the worst looking thirdgen interior I've ever seen.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:34 AM

Location: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -RIPHST
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 383TBI Fastburns and 2"TB
Transmission: T56 held up by Spohnstuff
Its industrial looking. Too industrial looking.

The workmanship on the diamond plate looks OK- did you aluminum tig the center console or just fold it?

I don't think it would've looked all that bad with all flat stainless or something, but the diamond plate is just too rough for my liking. It must kill your right elbow when you rest it on the center console.

Anywho, at least you're trying things.

S-D
Old 04-14-2003, 11:22 AM

Car: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Transmission: rowing through 6 gears
LIke one guy said, I applaud your attempt at making your car better because that stuff is hard to work with.

I still think it looks like crap though. Not my style at all. The floor mats are "ok" but the console is too much. I'm glad you went to black carpet though, like to see pics of that with the floormats. I tmay actually make it look better.

I still don't understand why people say something like this

What you guys think of the interior?
then whine when we give our opinions. If you don't want our opinion don't post your pictures.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:32 AM

Car: 98 Camaro SS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Not a fan of the interior at all.

It must have taken a lot of time to do though...
Old 04-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Originally posted by FIREBIRD7777

no worries man i got flamed alot when i did my swap,
You got flamed for that interior? Whats not to like? Got more pics, details?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by BigMike92Z
LIke one guy said, I applaud your attempt at making your car better because that stuff is hard to work with.

I still think it looks like crap though. Not my style at all. The floor mats are "ok" but the console is too much. I'm glad you went to black carpet though, like to see pics of that with the floormats. I tmay actually make it look better.

I still don't understand why people say something like this

then whine when we give our opinions. If you don't want our opinion don't post your pictures.
I dont have a problem wiht people telling me what they think but its kind of ****ty for people to say that they hate it or its the worst they have ever seen then why dont you offer some advice or show me what they did. Thanks to all of you who did post pics or make recommendations but on about a $400 budget including stereo system im pretty happy wiht what i have But if you only have the ***** to sit online and bash on someone its obvious you dont have the ***** to try somthing new in your car so see lets what you guys did?

Thanks again to those that did try giving advice or posting your pics i love the interiors above and that was my original intent in posting was to share different ideas its to bad some peoples egos are to big for that!!
Old 04-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I agree it is a bit too boxy for my taste, but its original, I aplaud that. I get crap for my interior too so...I understand the frustration...if you want to check out mine...

www.cardomain.com/id/redraif
go to page 24 Interior...

Be careful with that sub box man...boxes have alot of pressure on them from the subs. Plywood is not recommended. Hate to see you blow up something. How did you seal the box?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:46 PM
TGO Supporter

I dont have a problem wiht people telling me what they think but its kind of ****ty for people to say that they hate it or its the worst they have ever seen then why dont you offer some advice or show me what they did.
Ok, here's advice:

Leave the diamond plate to the ricers and Jeep owners.
Leave the krylon dash to the ricers.

A lot of us haven't done anything because we feel that stock is better than a half-assed low budget makeover. My interior stayed stock and in poor condition for a few years while I addressed other issues and saved some money. I'm a firm believer that there's no sense in doing something until you can do it right. I've had my equalizers, tv, dvd player and new head unit sitting in my living room for 3 months-2 years (depending on what piece of equipment we're talking about) while I gathered what I needed for my interior upgrade. This year I'll finally get around to redoing my interior.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:54 PM

I dont have a problem wiht people telling me what they think but its kind of ****ty for people to say that they hate it or its the worst they have ever seen then why dont you offer some advice or show me what they did.
Again, if you really don't like what people have to say, im a bit surprised you asked for peoples opinions. But now, since you say you want advice, here goes:

Pick a theme. Most custom jobs have one. it appears yours is "Diamonplate." Well, okay. But that theme (to me, anyway) is most often associated with 4x4's, lifted jeeps, and other rugged all terrain vehicles. IE: something OTHER than a thirdgen. When you pick a design or theme that you like, try to make the shape flow with it. The console looks like a 13 inch TV casing got shoved in to your dashboard.

Accenting is nice. Im a big fan of painting accents, i even did some in my car. But (imho) you picked pieces that are way too massive. WAY too much red in that car. Painted accents are best done in subtle fashion (imo).

Thanks to all of you who did post pics or make recommendations but on about a $400 budget including stereo system im pretty happy wiht what i have

Working on a budget sucks. We all agree. if all i can afford is a 200 dollar beater thats rotted out, hey, i should enjoy it as best as i can, but for me to sit there and call it a damn Ferrari just because i bought it on a budget is silly. Sure, its great for what i paid for it, but its not an Exotic Sports car.

But if you only have the ***** to sit online and bash on someone its obvious you dont have the ***** to try somthing new in your car so see lets what you guys did?

Its not bashing if you asked for constructive criticism, which (as many people have pointed out) you did. And many of us have EXTENSIVE plans in the works, but because WE ALSO work on a budget, were saving up our money slowly, so when people slam on our ideas later, we don't have to sit there and call our 200 dollar beaters Ferrari's.

And just because we don't like yours, that doesnt mean were afriad to try new things. WHAT IT MEANS, is that (in our humble opinions) we just think its ugly (me for the aforementioned reasons explained).

I don't have all the money for all the interior mods i have in the works, and im still gathering parts. But if you'd like to bash on my car a bit (since you legitimetely feel is what we are doing (which is sad)) you can check out what little i HAVE done to it at www.geocities.com/admrlam/Bird.html

Its not much, its a work in progress : shrug :

Thanks again to those that did try giving advice or posting your pics i love the interiors above and that was my original intent in posting was to share different ideas its to bad some peoples egos are to big for that!!
Some of those interiors DO look great. OUR ego's are too big? On the contrary, i think yours may be too big to accept constructive criticism. Hubris is the destroyer of refinery.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Well since you want to see what other people have done with their interiors, here you go, its not custom but its 1000x better than it was.

Attached Thumbnails Custom Diamond Plate interior-t56interior.jpg  
Old 04-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Raptor 700
firebird777 thats your interior? i thought it was a guy on here by the name of Buick88GSX or something like who owned that car. Do you have any more pictures of it cuz i always thought it looked awesome.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by LT1guy
You got flamed for that interior? Whats not to like? Got more pics, details?
how the hell could anyone do such a thing no not the interior but flame on you for the 4th gen intrior i love that the 4th gen interior in a 3d gen cvar looks sweet awesome job
Old 04-14-2003, 09:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by irocbirdbuilder
how the hell could anyone do such a thing no not the interior but flame on you for the 4th gen intrior i love that the 4th gen interior in a 3d gen cvar looks sweet awesome job
I agree completely, what an incredible interior! Anyone that flamed you should have their contact prescriptions reevaluated. WOW! I'd need an extra pair of boxers every time I got in my car if that was mine.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Be careful with that sub box man...boxes have alot of pressure on them from the subs. Plywood is not recommended. Hate to see you blow up something. How did you seal the box? [/B][/QUOTE]

not really mine isnt even boxed in totally on the bottom and it still hits harder than anything havent destroyed mine yet and it isnt exactly quiet
Old 04-14-2003, 11:22 PM

72buickgsx was my old site name i changed my email since then, so i cant get my password, so i just made firebird7777,

yeah guys , there are alot of hardcore people who like nothing but stock thirdgen/s on this board, haha the biggest saying was if you want 4th gen interior then go buy a 4th gen car, , at the time i had only seen a camaro over seas that had the swap, so when i did mine with firehawk interior , people were not to crazy on the ideal yet, now since alot more people have done the swap, the flames on 4th gen interior in 3rd gen cars is over,
Old 04-14-2003, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
who says thirdgen interiors are all old and ratty
Old 04-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
I don't like it at all, looks very tacky

What did I do to mine? I kept it clean which works for me:
Attached Thumbnails Custom Diamond Plate interior-12.jpg  
Old 04-15-2003, 02:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
ok, i give you an A for effort, and a B+ for staying on task with your color options.

however...

the diamond plate just seems like too much for me and the same with the seat covers. im not flaming you man cause as of now my car isnt much to compete with, but you asked for opinions and thats my say. ill post the stuff up here for those that dont want to wait for this page and another to load....

Old 04-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Raptor 700
you missed the new page hehe
Old 04-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Hey, just curious if you got the painting the gauge bezel idea from me. I think I was the first person to do that here. (Don't worry, I'd be flattered, not offended.) Most people love it, a few don't and have stated that here, I can respect that.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Stupid link, here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Diamond Plate interior-interior.jpg  
Old 04-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by irocbirdbuilder
not really mine isnt even boxed in totally on the bottom and it still hits harder than anything havent destroyed mine yet and it isnt exactly quiet
Well it might be because it is not totally sealed. Now I'm not an expert on this I have just picked up stuff here and there. I was under the impression that you need to use MDF or particle board. MDF is a higher grade and is smooth and easy to bond to. This is what the stereo guys use. Not sure of the physics behind it, but it has to do with the pressure and flex capabilty of the wood. So I was under the impression that plywood is bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to learn the why...

With my box its sealed with caulking at every seam and the sub has a this dence foam that you use on doors in houses to stop drafts. There is not any leaking in my box. Made a world of differance over the crap I got that sub in. Thing was all distorted sounding and we thought is was blown. Nope the box was bad. It was set up for 2 subs and one was bad. I took it apart and used the wood to make a new sub box for the one good sub and it made all the difference.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:13 AM
TGO Supporter

Raif, it really depends on the overall setup. I don't want to be critical of his audio system (since he never asked for opinions on it), but with the low power of that system, the plywood is perfectly sufficient. If he were to use a substantially more powerful amp and speakers with a higher power handling ability, then the severe limitations of the plywood would become an issue.

Raif, the reason that MDF is preferred is because it is much more dense than plywood. It won't resonate, so it's much more acoustically transparent. It's also MUCH easier to work with because of its consistent nature. It's very strong, and the glue sticks to it VERY well. Also, because plywood is laminated, if you glue to the side of plywood, it's not strong at all. The top layer will just separate from the lower layers. Basically all of your strength is in the screws, where with an MDF box, all the screws do is keep it tight while the glue hardens.

The problem with MDF is that not all hardware stores carry it, so sometimes you have to wait for them to order it. To me it's well worth the wait, but even if for whatever reason your priorities are different, it's best to at least stick with Particle board. It's nowhere near as good as MDF, but still better than plywood.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the info Jim. I appreciate it. I was simply going on what I had heard and logic. Using logic and my line of thought for using or not using was dead on what you said. Nice to know my line of thought was correct.

Right now I only have particle board for my box. Hits clean and decent. Though its nothing with any serious amperage. But I plan to redo it with a better harder hitting system and I will be using the MDF and making it look professional with a more custom fit.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:46 AM

When i got to UB's architecture school and saw the Materials Shop, i was drooling over building stereo boxes in there, and making car parts in my spare time from school.

Then i saw the huge *** sign hanging on the door. "No MDF, no Fiberglass, no Resin." LOL.

Go figure
Old 04-18-2003, 02:18 AM

Is it just me or do the firebird interiors look like 10x better than the maro's, well I guess I'm a lil bia's too owning 2 birds. Wha tu guys think?
Old 04-18-2003, 02:48 AM

Hey maverick, I agree. Dont get me wrong, I would prefer my 84 Z28 over my bird, but the bird dash and interior looks alot better imho. The camaro dash is too basic race looking, plus the gauge cluster is one small cluster f*ck.which is what alot of people like.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:52 AM

Car: Corvette
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
i think the camaros r way better interior wise.

and alot and i mean alot of premade boxes u can get in stores are NOT mdf. so watch out if you buy a box. and yea since his amp is pyramid i dont see any signs of him blowing his plate up lol

Quick Reply: Custom Diamond Plate interior