Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

AUTO 4th gen console

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AUTO 4th gen console

I know..."search the boards". Well, the reason I know you all yell at everyone is from extensive searching. All I have seen on the boards is "I've seen it done"....no instructions....

How do I put this:

Over this:

I know, it will need modifications...but what? Looks to be about 3-4" off. Do I move the entire linkage up? I don't want to hack it that bad...but I already invested the money in this auto...no need to go and buy a whole nother console and toss this one

Is there somewhere CHEAP I can get just the shifter plate? Checked all the local junks and nothing....
Old 04-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 T/A - Sold (sniff) 1980 T/A Pa
I have not done this, but there is a plate the holds your current shifter where it is, that needs to be removed and the shifter from a 4th gen placed where it was.

Yes, a manual trans'd console top is all you need to make your current setup work.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:52 PM

Do you happen to know prices of each of these options? I called one Pontiac dealer..and he said he would need the VIN for the 97 T/A that this console came out of to get the correct shifter linkage? EH? Anyways, I WOULD prefer to keep the shift indicator as it would be different...and look more "factory".

I see on this list alot of people like to overload their cars with 101 custom setups...I myself like this as well...but like to integrate it into the car in such a way that someone that doesn't know my car can't tell it didn't drive off the lot like that.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2003, 10:13 PM

you need a stick top plate, my friend, same problem i ran into,
Old 04-11-2003, 11:54 PM

Doh...there's a way around that though...just wondering what the cost difference is between buying a 4th gen shifter to fit in vs buying the top plate. The schmucks that work at the Pontiac by me tell me I need a vin# to correctly match up the shift linkage for my car. ARGH!