Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fourth Gen Center Console Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fourth Gen Center Console Swap Questions

I'm interested in putting in a manual center console from a 98+ into my 91 automatic firebird with a b&m megashifter.

Questions:
-Is this the best/easiest thing for me? (What would be better/easier?)
-Does the shifter boot on the 98+ console look/feel cheap? What are some good replacements? (NICE looking/feeling stuff, leather is good, etc.)

I've read that most people wire the mirrior/window switches in the ashtray. Please keep in mind that I use my windows every single time I start my car (no a/c and hot as hell here all year round), and put them up every single time I park (even for gas/drinks).

Questions (regarding ashtray) :
-Is that hard to do and reach? (I care more about operating it than installing it, though.)
-Is there any kit that you guys prefer? Or switches from 3rd or 4th gen? Specific aftermarket switches?
-Wouldn't adjusting the mirrors be REALLY awkward from the ashtray? (Although I suppose that isn't done enough to be a problem.)

Also, I'm 99.9% sure operating the windows from there would **** me off daily, so what is the best way to install something that puts the windows up or down with one touch? That would make it more than tolerable. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 T/A - Sold (sniff) 1980 T/A Pa
From what I've seen, the megashifter comes with a top to fit the original console for our 'birds. I would NOT sawp console and a shifter as well, but that's me.

I use my windows every day with no problems. My switches, by being in the ashtray on a 4th gen manual trans. console, are almost in the original factory location from the original console. If you got an auto console the ashtray is wayy forward and then I would agree that the switches would seem awkward.

HTH!
Old 04-01-2003, 08:37 AM

Thanks!

Also, I forgot to ask where the switches are located in the fourth gens, and I guess you answered it for me... but I'm still not sure. Could someone tell me exactly where they are? I was thinking that they were not even on the center console earlier, but I guess they are.

Also, I actually like the third gen consoles, but mine is hacked up from the previous owners megashifter installation. I haven't seen a used one in good condition yet, and new ones are beyond my budget right now. If I saw an untouched third gen that was in excellent condition for a reasonable price I'd probably just go with that at least for now.

From what I understand, I can easily change back and forth if I don't like it right? Just bolt off, bolt on basically?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by cg91ta
I use my windows every day with no problems. My switches, by being in the ashtray on a 4th gen manual trans. console, are almost in the original factory location from the original console. If you got an auto console the ashtray is wayy forward and then I would agree that the switches would seem awkward.

HTH!
Ohhh, I think I read that wrong the first time. So, for third gens with manual consoles, the window switches are towards the front of the car, ahead of the shifter?

I've only been in one third gen in my life, so I only know what a 91 automatic firebird interior looks like in person hehe. Well, not even that. I wouldn't even know what the stock shifter feels like... I bought the car with the megashifter already installed.