Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

West Coast ASCD dealer? SS Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
West Coast ASCD dealer? SS Hood

Does anyone know of any ASCD dealers in California? I'm thinking about getting an SS hood, but I don't really want to pay a few hundred in getting it shipped truck freight from the east coast.

Also while I'm at it, it seems there have been some mixed reviews of the hood in terms of quality. My biggest concern is that several people have said that the hood flexes when you try and raise it. Is it possible to reinforce it at all? Maybe get some metal rods or something and glass them to the bottom of the hood?

Thanks, Joe
Old 03-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 Stage II
Axle/Gears: 3.23 For Now
Re: West Coast ASCD dealer? SS Hood

Originally posted by joezero
Does anyone know of any ASCD dealers in California? I'm thinking about getting an SS hood, but I don't really want to pay a few hundred in getting it shipped truck freight from the east coast.

Also while I'm at it, it seems there have been some mixed reviews of the hood in terms of quality. My biggest concern is that several people have said that the hood flexes when you try and raise it. Is it possible to reinforce it at all? Maybe get some metal rods or something and glass them to the bottom of the hood?

Thanks, Joe

Flex? My SS hood from ASCD is fine....not sure what they mean when they say flex.....
Attached Thumbnails West Coast ASCD dealer? SS Hood-z28me.jpg  
Old 03-31-2003, 12:00 AM

I've just read some people's post that said that the hood shocks are too strong because of the hoods decreased weight and that it started to flex when they would raise it.

Out of curiousity, where did you get your hood from and how much was shipping?

Thanks, Joe
Old 03-31-2003, 12:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Then they are at fault, because you aren't supposed to use hood shocks with the fiberglass hoods. If you do then I'd at least get ones for a fiberglass hood. Even then I don't know, I'd rather just use a prop rod or something.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to use the hood shocks from the 82-83 ? Cross-fire hood. It is fiberglass, so the shocks are not nearly as strong as the one for the metal hood. I am getting an SS hood this week, and have already went to Autozone to get the other ones. Make for a stock look, kinda like the hood came with the car. Just my opinion, HTH. Thomas
Old 03-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 Stage II
Axle/Gears: 3.23 For Now
I bought my SS hood from www.hawksthirdgenparts.com $499.00 shipped to my door. I went to a junkyard and got a used set (out of a steel Camaro hood) for my fiberglass hood. They work fantastic...only cost me 5 bucks.....fantastic for fiberglass hoods.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350HO
Transmission: M4
lol that reminds me i need new shocks for my 82, you bastards better not be buying all the 82-83 hood shocks with those aftermarket hoods
leave some for me

ive been using a broom stick to hold mine up lol
Old 04-01-2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by scottland
lol that reminds me i need new shocks for my 82, you bastards better not be buying all the 82-83 hood shocks with those aftermarket hoods
leave some for me

ive been using a broom stick to hold mine up lol
That's what my brother's been doing. I think if I get the SS hood I will give my hood shocks to my brother. Not because I like him, but because it's always good to help out a camaro in need.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:13 PM

I have an ASCD Daytona Hood. I understand the flex problem... It is because the lifts being used are for the strength of a steel hood. When I first found out about this problem, I ripped my hood lifts off the car (and used a 2x4 to hold the hood).

Since then, I bought the right lifts. For a fiberglass hood you need the hood lifts offered on a '83 Z28 (GM had a fiberglass hood option then). I ordered my new OEM replacements from www.auto-parts-for-less.com (I could not find those lifts at ANY local autoparts stores). Popped them in and ZERO support problems with my Daytona Hood.

Hope this helps guys!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:40 AM

I live in CA, and it cost me $120 to have it shipped to the truck terminal. I got the hood through Thunder Racing, they seemed to have the best prices.
I just put on the hood shocks from auto-parts-for-less.com for the 83 Camaro yesterday, and they work great. The hood doesn't bend at all when I shut it.

While were on the ASCD SS hood subject; How did everyone attach the spring that pops the hood up to their hoods?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:47 AM

While were on the ASCD SS hood subject; How did everyone attach the spring that pops the hood up to their hoods?
Attached is a pic, not of my hood, but of a friend's hood. Paul Lodge in Canada provided these pics to me to answer the question when I had it....

You'll see the spring is held in with some clips. You should be able to find those clips at your local hardware store.

Also, the piece used for the latch on the car to hold the hood down (piece of metal that bolts to the hood).... You may need to shim that with some washers (I know I did), other wise it may not reach. You won't know until you bolt everything on and try it out....
Attached Thumbnails West Coast ASCD dealer? SS Hood-bottom_spring_-_latch.jpg  
Old 04-02-2003, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the pic Maniac