Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Polishing RIMS few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing RIMS few Questions

I have gone through past messages and tech articles on this topic but have a few questions to ask.

I bought a set of IROC rims today but want to buff them up and make them shiney and also change the color of the inlays. They are gold at the moment but I want them either silver or black to suit my black car better.

So basically I wanted to ask should I sand the inlay are also with 180 dry,320 wet,400 wet like the rest of the RIM? Or does only taking off the paint enough? What would be the best way to take the paint off seems like sanding cause they have clear coat on them too?

The next question is should I paint the inlay are before I sand the rest of the rim so incase I overspray I can easily just sand and buff it out later on?

Probably get stuck into the first rim tomorrow no rush for me just want to get it done right the first time.

BTW How much of the 180 320 and 400 sand paper do I need roughly?

Will be buying a buffing wheel to help make the process easier and I should be set.

I have also read that not to put a clear coat back on. I wanted to do it to start off with but looks like I will give it a miss.

And what would you guys recommend to use as paint for the inlay area? Still not sure if to go with black or grey????? What would look better I have a black IROC?

Should I go with shiney or mat black if I go with black?

Thanks,
Mike