Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

anyone tried.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone tried.....

making your own t-top headliner?

i've looked around and its like 150 bucks or more to get a new one so i was thinkin it can't be that hard to make a pattern for it and slap some headliner fabric on it?
Old 03-29-2003, 03:47 AM

ive tried it... i wouldnt have known unless my moms hadnt overheard me, but they sell headliner material at fabric stores(make sure you go first thing in the morning on a sunday, so nobody you know will see you there!!)...the headliner material they sell is the smooth fabric with a padding on the back... using that, and using some pretty good spray adhesive, you can use the headliner board you currently have for a not too shabby headliner(remove old fabric first, carefully)...there are some problem points tho, you can see in the pic below where the arrows are, this is the area where the fabric will pull away from the headliner board if its going to ... mine did and it looked like dookie.. i think the biggest problem is stretching the fabric over those points.. also, the fabric i got had pretty thick padding on the back, so everything looked fat...
i probably wouldnt do it again, but if i was hurting for dough the thought that has been floating around in my head was to use vinyl, mostly because it will stretch easier and clean up easier..
i dunno, bottom line is, yea you can do it relatively easy and inexpensively, just dont expect the perfect headliner
(if it does come out perfect, dance like a fool)

hope i helped a little..
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
t-top.bmp (40.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-29-2003, 05:39 PM

thanks man but my problem is i have no headliner at all just a metal roof....was wondering if anyone made thair own thing you put the fabric on. My mom is a semstrist or whatever and can make it look nice just needs the actually headline piece..