Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

pwr windows and pwr lock ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
pwr windows and pwr lock ?'s

ok, first off, my driver side pwr lock doesnt lock all the way, i heard spray wd 40 on it...what do i spray? also, my pwr windows are slow is there anyway to speed them up a bit? my passanger side is almost not working anymore..what can i do to get more life out of it? anyone know how much pwr window motors cost and if they are hard to install?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:49 PM

Regarding the power locks, WD40 will probably fix it. You need to spray the entire door lock assembly, both from the outside of the door (the part you can see when you open the door), and the inside portion (when you remove the inner door panel). Also, the power lock actuator has a small rubber boot (that kind of looks like an up-side-down rubber funnel) on it. Work the bottom of the boot up and off of the actuator and spray under it liberally. This fixed mine about a month ago.

Regarding the power windows, you will need to replace the motors to get them to work as fast as they should. If they haven't been replaced before, you will have to grind off the factory rivets that hold the motor assembly in the door. Be forewarned, it is a pain to get the track assembly out of the door. Make sure you pay attention to how it all fits together (e.g. which rollers go in which tracks) as you take it apart. The motors are only about $40. And, there is a core charge at most parts places. But, my local Autozone keeps them in stock all the time. When you put the motor assembly back into the door, you will have a lot of trouble putting in screws where the rivets were. This is hard because you won't be able to get your hands into the door well to do the screws. But with patience, it can be done. NOTE: Be especially careful when you take the motor off of the gear and crank assembly! When you take the assembly out of the door, you will have a big crescent-shaped gear about 18" in diameter. On this big gear, there is a coiled spring that has a great deal of tension on it. You will need to put the entire arm assembly in a vise or put a large bolt through the gear and arm assembly to hold it in the same location when you take the motor off or it will VIOLENTLY snap back at you with a great deal of force! If you don't already have a Chilton's or Haynes manual, I suggest you buy one at your local parts store to read about this process. If you use the vise method, use the motor to rotate the assembly until the window arms are parallel to the large brace that holds the arms and crescent gear assembly together. Then, put the whole thing in the vise to hold the arms parallel to the brace while you take the motor off. Put a large bolt through the big hole in the crescent gear and brace just for safety. Best of Luck!!!
Old 03-26-2003, 10:41 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
With regards to the windows, chances are they are just gunked up with crap. Clean them with WD40 then apply some lithium grease. Works for me.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by RMK
With regards to the windows, chances are they are just gunked up with crap. Clean them with WD40 then apply some lithium grease. Works for me.
Just dont get WD-40 all over the window, Not fun to clean off, I made that mistake on my trucked, I sprayed WD-40 with the window down. When I rulled up the wind, one big cloud of WD-40
Old 03-27-2003, 05:59 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
I had no such problem, I did it with the wondow up so that the glass wouldn't get sprayed.