Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Procedure for Underbody treatment

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procedure for Underbody treatment

I'm on spring break this week, and instead of going somwhere warm and sunny, I've decided to stay in cold-a$$ chicago and work on my car. I was planning on pulling the car onto 4 rhino ramps in my garage, and using OSPHO as my initial treatment. After the OSPHO, i was thinking of coating with gloss-black POR-15. I have done some searching about this, but i still have some questions.

1) Does the metal need to be treated with all the POR-15 accesory stuff (zinc wash, etc.) or will the paint apply over the OSPHO?
2) It will be about 50 degrees in the garage, is this a problem?
3) I'm sure i have tons of rusted bolts down there, and i eventually want to upgrade some suspension parts. Will the OSPHO loosen them, or will using the OSPHO and painting over them make my life difficult.
If you have any other sugestion, i would much appreciate them. Thanks

Nick89TA
Old 03-13-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Re: Procedure for Underbody treatment

Originally posted by Nick89TA
I'm on spring break this week, and instead of going somwhere warm and sunny, I've decided to stay in cold-a$$ chicago and work on my car. I was planning on pulling the car onto 4 rhino ramps in my garage, and using OSPHO as my initial treatment. After the OSPHO, i was thinking of coating with gloss-black POR-15. I have done some searching about this, but i still have some questions.

1) Does the metal need to be treated with all the POR-15 accesory stuff (zinc wash, etc.) or will the paint apply over the OSPHO?

zinc wash etc is for bare metal. i would just go to bare metal and use the whole por-15 system on it. it will work great! no sense in using both products.
2) It will be about 50 degrees in the garage, is this a problem?
no
3) I'm sure i have tons of rusted bolts down there, and i eventually want to upgrade some suspension parts. Will the OSPHO loosen them, or will using the OSPHO and painting over them make my life difficult.
if ospho is anything like por 15 or similar products, you will try numerous times to kick yourself if you paint this stuff over them. it gets really really hard!!
also just as a side not, wiht the por15, do your absolute very best to avoid getting it on you. i used the silver por15 and i looked like the tin man for about 1.5-2 weeks.
If you have any other sugestion, i would much appreciate them. Thanks

Nick89TA [/B]
Good luck!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:37 PM

Well, i just put my order in!! I got a quart of gloss black POR-15, a quart of marine clean and a 20oz of zinc metal prep. I am going to scrape off some of the rust with a wire wheel, and do all three steps... The car will be on ramps though, which i am sure is gonna suck. Oh well. I'll make sure to post a pic or two in a few weeks, after i get her all done.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Originally posted by Nick89TA
Well, i just put my order in!! I got a quart of gloss black POR-15, a quart of marine clean and a 20oz of zinc metal prep. I am going to scrape off some of the rust with a wire wheel, and do all three steps... The car will be on ramps though, which i am sure is gonna suck. Oh well. I'll make sure to post a pic or two in a few weeks, after i get her all done.
so you are not gonna do the ospho er whatever? i dont see why you should, por15 should work , great. sounds exactly like what ill be doin as soon as it warms up. wire wheel all three steps etc with the car 3 inches from my face on jack stands.
lol, good luck
Old 03-14-2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by NJITIROC
so you are not gonna do the ospho er whatever? i dont see why you should, por15 should work , great. sounds exactly like what ill be doin as soon as it warms up. wire wheel all three steps etc with the car 3 inches from my face on jack stands.
lol, good luck
Well, i may just spray some of that ospho stuff (or some other rust convertor) around some rusted bolts i may need to remove later for suspension upgrades.
On another note, i was looking through some old posts, and noticed people b*tching about how their cars will get rusty because they live in a place where it rains. It just rained in Chicago a few days ago and it was the best thing ever. It washed all the salt away.