Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Billitize your V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Billetize your V6

I've seen small block Chevy billet kits for your engine bay, but they're always for a v8. What parts are teh same between v8-v6 camaro engines, keeping in mind the differences between a 2.8 and 3.1 could we compile a list?

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius; 03-04-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i had to use a v6 alternator to use my billet serpentine kit. does that count.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
I can't think of a single part that is the same; they're completely unrelated. There are virtually no dress up parts for the 2.8/3.1/3.4 engines. Fiero finned aluminum valve covers are a nice upgrade, esp when the fins are polished. Edelbrock makes chrome steel ones, but I'm not sure if they'll work on an injected 2.8. Anything aluminum on the engine can be polished (alternator,intake,thermostat housing, etc). On Redraif's we even smoothed, polished, and coated the stock manifolds. You could chrome the stock accessories. The only bolt-on dressup mods we have are the billet cover for the AC compressor and the chrome band around the AC compressor...Mr Gasket and others make these.

If you want to see what is possible on a 2.8, go here:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/redraif
Old 03-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Actually, redraif's what got me thinking about this... I'm looking again at the pictures, but I saw a billet master cylinder cover I thought, and I thought a radiator cap? Or is that just polished aluminum?

Two other questions while talking about raif's engine bay, where'd Shannon get the strut tower brace, and do you know if it'll work on a 3.1? Also, did she chrome her plenum?

Mathius
Old 03-05-2003, 12:49 AM

Car: 04 Vette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73
you can probably use the fiero intake as well as the middle section is backwards with is what makes thintake face the back of the motor trust me I put the middle section of my fiero back together with the arrow facing the front of the motor and my intake would fit facing the front so I had to take it apart and turn the middle around so it fit right.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mathius
Actually, redraif's what got me thinking about this... I'm looking again at the pictures, but I saw a billet master cylinder cover I thought, and I thought a radiator cap? Or is that just polished aluminum?

Two other questions while talking about raif's engine bay, where'd Shannon get the strut tower brace, and do you know if it'll work on a 3.1? Also, did she chrome her plenum?

Mathius
The master cylinder cover is chrome...Mr gasket and others make these. We have to repalce them (warranty) every few months, because they are poor quality. The chrome peels in no time. If you buy one, save your receipt!

I think the radiator cap (red anodized aluminum) is Spectre. The coolant and washer tanks are replaced with polished stainless tubular ones (either side of the radiator), made by a company called Super Sunny. You can get them from Barnett Performance (800-533-1320).
The strut tower brace on her car is an Edelbrock designed for a TPI car, and it is an utter piece of crap. It might work ok on Camaros, but it rubs the hood on her car (and did with the stock hood too), even after severely cutting the brackets down and notching them to lower the brace. We also notched the brace itself where it passes over the throttle body, and filed the top of the throttle body down slightly to clear. A 2.8 is pretty much the same as a 3.1, so it could be made to work, but I don't recommend it. We'll probably make our own when we have time.
The plenum isn't chromed...we ground it smooth, then polished and oainted it. Same goes for the alternator, tensioner, master cylinder, and the AC drier.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by biff85ta
you can probably use the fiero intake as well as the middle section is backwards with is what makes thintake face the back of the motor trust me I put the middle section of my fiero back together with the
I'm not sure why you would want to use the Fiero piece...it doesn't flow any more air, and the curve in it makes it harder to port out and to route your air intake. Plus, the throttle body linkage is on the wrong side. The TB is a Holley, but its no larger.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:13 AM

Car: 04 Vette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I was actually thinking about from a looks only standpoint it has been a few years since I had my fiero`s and I had not thought about linkage differences just the fact that the fiero pice looks much cleaner than the camaro firebird pieces.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Did Shannon use convoluted tubing to cover her hoses, or are those silicone hose replacements?

Is the radiator hose one of those "cool hose" replacements, or just a sleeve? And it looks like she painted it, how's that holding up?

Mathius
Old 03-27-2003, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

The vaccum hoses are red silicone; the AC hoses and PS hoses are covered in convoluted tubing, as is the wiring. The Radiator hoses came that way; they're made by Coolflex/Inglese. You can get them in chrome, blue powdercoat, red powdercoat, and possibly other colors too. Its holding up well.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
The red wire loom, you can get a great deal on it from JCWhitney. They sell packs with all the sizes in decent lengths. I used the 1.4 inch the most and the large 1 inch I had to get from NOPI. Same for the silicone hoses. NOPI carried a kit that had 3 sizes. I had to get some miscellaneous silicone from them later, but its good quality hose. Much better then the colored crap from Autozone...

There is a company that make red silicone radiator hoses. We saw them on a new vette at super chevy. Joe may remember who makes them...

Check my modifications page. It lists what we polished and what is chrome. The chrome pieces are Mr Gasket. The rad cap was from pepboys. They are universal for GM cars. Taylor plug wires. Red distributor cap and rotor from Autozone. Can't remember who now. It has brass contacts, but the cap does not last long.

Mostly I took out the stock brakets piece by piece when something broke and cleaned and painted it. If it was aluminum, and easily visible, it got polished. I coulfd have polished more (brakets) but its better to mix it up. Have a littel chrome a little polish, some color... Its my personal taste, but I don't like all out chrome engine bays... I want some character.

The actually bay we painted satin black to off set all the red. With the bay red too, it was too much...