Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th gen seatbelts in a 3rd gen??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen seatbelts in a 3rd gen??

Has anyone done this or know if the swap is even possible?
Old 03-01-2003, 05:44 PM

It can be done. There's a tech article on it. Goto the home page and then click tech articles and there will be a how to article on 4th gen seatbelts. I've done it and I like the look better.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:13 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
i dont understand why everyone buys all these fourth gen parts and puts them into thier 3rd gens... it doesnt make any sense, why not just buy a 4th gen seeing as how EVERYONE puts **** from those into the 3rd gens.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 T/A - Sold (sniff) 1980 T/A Pa
I love the stock look of my car, BUT, I still drive it every day. Putting my large rear into leather clad, infinitely adjustable seats was the difference between selling the car and keeping it. I have a herniated disk and the stock seats weren't tolerable any more. I could have put 3rd gen leather in there, if I could have found any. I barely found the seats I did!
As an added bonus they came with the center console. My original console was exactly like 99% of them out there. The e-brake handle area was 2" wide, the bottom of the console was 4+" wider than when it left the factory and the cover was showing it's age as well. I could have bought a brand new cover ($75-$100) and new console ($100-$200) and had the exact same problem after the first 110 degree day here in Phoenix.
I, too, am now looking for 4th gen seat belts. Why? Because they are safer and I can find them. I can't find any 3rd gen ones in anywhere near as good of condition, let alone for the same price.

So when you go looking for brake pads, you go to GM and get the stock pads they sell, no carbon metallics or quiet stops. Take that K&N air filter back out, and for pete's sake don't you dare run Mobil1. Hey wait! Didn't 350's debute as stock equipment in Camaro's in 1987! You have to put that stock engine back in IMMEDIATELY! No upgrades for you! Go out and buy an 87+! J/K [soapbox off]

I sat in a 4th gen, and hated it. I love my third and anything I can do to retain the stock appearance and upgrade the safety and drivability, I'll continue to do it. Check out my website.

Last edited by cg91ta; 03-01-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:01 PM

I put 4th gen seat belts in because I couldn't find any 3rd gen in good shape, plus I only paid 25.00 for the set. Bought 4th gen leather seats because it was cheaper then trying to reupholster my Lear siegler seats. I got the steering wheel because leather wrap 3rd gen steering wheel from a TA can go for well over a $100 when they are in perfect condition. I personally like the look of some of the fourth gen stuff in our cars. Also the cost for 4th gen parts is quite reasonable.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:07 AM

Thanks guys.

I too cannot find any 3rd gen seatbelts worth while to put into my new interior. The stock belts are simply too worn out. The 4th gen belts are readily available and generally inexpensive. So I thought I would go with them.

As for the person crying about putting fouth gen stuff in a 3rd gen...Why you would even take the time to write how you feel in response to a question that asks nothing of the such, is way beyond me...and my 3rd gen...and my 4th gen.
But thanks for your enlightening opinion anyway. Next time I do something to either of my camaros, I'll take into consideration how it may affect you. :hail:

[Now I'll probably get blasted for having two camaros...cuz, ya know that's wrong...I should only have the one I like the best...cuz I can't like two camaros] (my turn on the soapbox...lol)

Last edited by TorqueMonster; 03-02-2003 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by 84Z28_5.7ltr_V8
i dont understand why everyone buys all these fourth gen parts and puts them into thier 3rd gens... it doesnt make any sense, why not just buy a 4th gen seeing as how EVERYONE puts **** from those into the 3rd gens.
Why? Beacuse 3rd gen's look better than a forth gen. They handle better also. The reason people put 4th gen stuff in 3rdgens is because It's newer, most 3rd gen seats are ripped or worn out.