Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th gen interior progress. . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: Vortec 350 with mild cam
Transmission: 700r4 Mild build
Axle/Gears: Stock
4th gen interior progress. . .

Well first let me say that I bought a 1995 camaro dash about 1 1/2 months ago. Air bag was blown and the supports on the passenger side dash were busted. Bought for $75 from a guy who was parting out a wrecked white V6 camaro. Well, shortly after I bought it, I started testing and running all my wires for the speedometer, which works fine without the VSS signal changer, then removed the 3rd gen dash. I repaired the minute craks in the plastic structural of the 4th gen, but had little to do with the smashed supports in the back. I installed the metal frame first, having to bend the top supports for the 3rd gen with a channel lok, and bend the bottom supports for my 3rd gen down and out of the way. I installed the metal 4th gen and it went pretty smooth. I connnected the steering bracket to the frame and used the very top air bag holder holes ( where the rivets used to be) and set two screws right to the stock location. Next, I installed my plastic frame of the 4th gen, which was a huge pain! I finally got it all alligned and set, so I set a screw in the far drivers hole, and used zipties (temporary) to hold the other non-broken brackets the the stock holes. I installed the gauges, wired up the headlight swith, brights, rear defroster, hatch release, radio, Blower switch, and HVAC controls ( including the vacuum hoses, which was alittle tricky). installed the cover panels, all except the dash pad, end caps, and my stock 3rd gen interior door sill covers (top door-side windsheild) and install defroster vent and passenger vents ( for my women) and floor vents. I ran into a couple problems as they include: 1. I cannot seem to find an adicuate cover for the end caps of the dash. 2. I cannot figure out why the glove box has a smal gap that shows vent screws on the top left side. 3. Neep to find out how to cover the top of dash in the corners where the dash pad wont cover. 4. Need to find all the squeeks and insulate them, cause there really annoying!! Im thinking that when I buy my beater car this fall and start restoring the whole thing, Ill buy a 97 and up firebird console and dash, so If I could just have this look decent till then, It would be appreactiated if you gave me any tips. I cant take any pictures right now cause the digital camera is my dads and hes alittle ticked that I lost control of truck and put it into a 6 1/2 foot ditch filled with snow. I do have these though. . .