Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

99 interior to 86 bird-need serious help w/wiring probs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 06:38 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
99 interior to 86 bird-need serious help w/wiring probs.

Finally got eveything fitted, now I'm to the wiring stage and am not having much luck. The interior is out of a 99 Firebird and I installed it into a 86 Firebird. I looked through all the search topics, but could'nt find the answers I needed. Using the new (99) electric window switches I got the drivers side window to work-ONLY. I wired everything thing up per cross-over in the Hayes & Chiltons manuals and still only the drivers side works. It's as though the pass. side is kinda of like a 3 way switch in your home and the drivers side pass. side control is like a 2 way switch-I just can't get the 2 to come together. It's probably something stupid that 4 of us could'nt figure out or overlooked (I hope)
Next and hopefully final electrical mess-I briefly tried to hook up the new (99) headlight switch and was unsuccessful at that as well. Been up since 4am plowing so that does'nt help. Anyway, on the 86 there is only 5, if I remember right, wires that go to the actual headlight/park light switch. The new (99) has many. I could'nt get the parking lights to work when the switch was in the parking light position and the headlights would not flip up either. Basically we spend all afternoon scratchin our heads, burnin our fingers, and finally calling it a day as we're all frazeld. Any help with a more through wiring schematic and/or somebody that been here and done that, please chime in. ALL help is appreciated. After this gets figured out it should all be down hill, but this is by far my biggest hill to date-never had much luck with this kinda stuff. Thanks in advance

Old 02-16-2003, 08:13 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Never mind, got the headlights hooked up today, that was easy once I got into it. Think we traced the window problem down to a faulty switch on the drivers side (we think), so I won't know until I get the new stuff in, Ponti-Yak dealership said it takes a day to get the stuff once ordered.