Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Grrr, water leak, and it doesn't seem to be the t-tops?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
Grrr, water leak, and it doesn't seem to be the t-tops?!

Ok i recently took out the back seats in my RS. She does have t-tops but those tend to only leak around the windows now so i don't think thats it. I found a small puddle were the back seat behind the drivers side used to be in the floor were the bottom of the seat used to be. Would i be safe in assuming that this is a leak from the hatch up at the top since the area behind the t-tops on the roof isn't even damp? I already dried that area and ran some silicon caulk under the rubber to see if i can get it to atleast slow down, but from the looks of the carpet this has been happening for awhile, but its now only noticable since i removed the seats.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Corvette
Engine: 350 Tpi
Transmission: ZF 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3,33
Have you checked the doors . The rubber on my doors was in a bad shape and then water leaked and ended up behind the drivers seat.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:47 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
still could be the corners where the t-top meets the body, window and weatherstripping.

mine needed to be adjusted so that the weatherstripping pushed against the window more to make a seal, because water would get in then go behind the plastic sail panels and then under teh rear seats...
Old 02-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60 automatic
My rear seatbacks were getting wet on the front...

Mine was leaking from where the hatch's hinges are mounted to the body.There's suppose to be a caulk seal around the holes where the bolts go through.I put caulking there and that solved the leaking problem.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:26 AM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
Hmm interesting. Found something else out. it has been raining/sleeting here (columbia Mo) for the past 2 days and i got in the maro yesterday to move it and i looked up and back and the plastic molding on the roof was dripping from one of the screws holding it up so when i get back to schaumburg i will take it down and see were its comming from. Oh and since i am here, how would i adjust the t-tops positioning? Just so that i know when i go into this.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:21 PM

same prob, fixed it

When i first got my car afterany heavy rain I'd find puddles in my back seat.... and yes, the drip would some from that roof molding piece that is between the hatch and the t-tops. After talking to ****loads of people, i found out it was probably that my center bar on the t-tops rusted out or did not have a good seal. I went and bought new weatherstrips for my t-tops, and a new center bar for my car, and took it to a trim shop so they can fix it for me (I didn't want to **** it up) They charged like $400 to do the labor, and the car has not leaked back there ever since... Believe it or not those seals even held when i went through the touchless car wash at Amoco (My sophisticated testing station). Another way to test your car for leaks is the soapy water test. Make a bucket of really soapy water, crank the heater/AC on your car full blast, roll up your windows, get out of the car and close the doors. Apply soapy water to all the seams you can see (t-tops, windows, etc) and where you see bubbles, you got yourself a leak. Good luck, lemme know how it goes
-Nick