Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone make their own seat brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Z
Engine: 355 in the works
Transmission: 700R4
Anyone make their own seat brackets?

I found these seats http://www.sounddomain.com/shoplist~...~t~Sport+Seats and they're really cheap, per pair too. Problem is, they're for imports mainly. It says that they come with universal brackets that fit most imports and some domestics. I was wondering, would it be that hard to make some custom brackets or make the ones they come with work? Also, how safe would it be in an accident if I went and tried to make my own brackets? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:27 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 6.3L 383 V8
I'm in the same boat you are. Unfortunetly I bought the seats before I got the brackets. Now I have awesome aftermarket seats sitting in the garage instead of my car. If you come across somebody thats selling let us know. The Ractives look like they might work, maybe. Thats the same line they used for my seats, "universal". There ain't no way in hell the ones I got are fitting in my car without serious fabrication. Just food for thought.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:18 PM

this is what I did, I used the old brackets from my original seats but the bolts where to wide so I bought a 2 1/2 inch by 3 feet piece of metal and a cutting saw at walmart for about 20 bucks. this is where math comes in. cut 4 4 inch pieces of the metal. Now you drill one hole on each end of the four pieces and then bolt them to the new seat. now put the old bracket to the back of the new seats and see where you need to mount them.My problem was the the bolts for the bracket on the new seat where to wide to mount my original bracket so the metal pieces will give you about 4 more inches toward the middle of the seat on each side. find where you need to drill the holes to mount the bracket, use a good set of bolts and it should fit perfectly in your car since ur using the original brackets on the new set of seats.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just do this,, take your old blackets,, put the back bolt it,, mark where you need the front bolt, then weld on a place for the bolt. No you can't just drill a hole, , , your sliders won't work that way..
This worked great for me,,and they sit low too.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
End result..

Old 02-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

I was also thinking, maybe I could buy those seats, and the brackets from corbeau or something and try and make those work? I dunno... my dad said it all just matters how bad I want to make them fit, and that a machine shop could probably fab something up for me...

I just think those seats look great and they are cheap since they're sold by the pair...
Old 02-11-2003, 04:48 PM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
I've got Tenzo rally seats in mine which are made specifically for imports. But you you go to www.mmrusa.com they sell the seats and brackets for I think around $700. Be advised that they mostly deal with imports. My brackets were labeled for a "camero", which I had never heard of before. It did take quite a while, like 6-8 weeks for me to get the brackets (I bought the seats from someone else). I figured I could just modify the sliders, but that only works if the spacing between the sliders is the same for the new seats as the stock ones (which mine were not). When I got the brackets they didn't fit right and when I called they said they were "universal brackets for many different types of seats". So they may work for other import types of seats too. Here's the link for the seats + brackets. http://www.mmrusa.com/Merchant2/merc...=Rallypackage1
Old 02-11-2003, 06:08 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: A4
I am creating custom brackets for my seats to, they are V-racing I think. Not too expensive and the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in, designed perfectly for the tall and skinny. I'm going to weld on some new points for the seat attachment. They need to be wider. It can be done fairly easily if you know someone who can weld. Just lengthen the bolt up spot for the seat either thinner or wider as needed, then drill thru, insert bolt and rotate. Remember measure twice, weld once. Just make sure that you use enough metal to make it really strong and brace it from multiple angles with welded metal braces. When I get it finished later this month I will post it up.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

I'm a little confused, so joezero: you got camaro brackets from them that worked? Or you had to modify them? There's an import speedshop here that sells tenzoR seats I believe... never asked them if they had brackets for my car since it's a domestic.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:49 PM

Here's the deal: I emailed Tenzo (which actually turned out to be their US importer) and they directed me to mantray motor sports. They sell a bracket for camaros (I don't remember what years, but I want to sell all 4 generations). The catch is that when you install the sliders on the brackets, the bolt holes for the seat are just slightly off. I just drilled out the bolt holes a little (like maybe 1/32") and then they bolted up. The brackets bolt to the floor just fine. Now tenzo makes some brackets, but only for honda, acura, etc. These ones are "custom made" and then sold through MMR. So odds are if you went to a speedshop, they'd contact tenzo, who'd send them to MMR, who'd order the brackets, and sell them to you plus some. The other option is to have a machine shop custom make brackets. I didn't want to do this for fear that it'd be $300 for brackets, only to end up spending about that much for ones from the manufacturer. I hope this clears it up.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone make their own seat brackets?-seats.jpg  
Old 02-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Ok, so how much did it cost you all together after all was said and done? I'd just have to call up MMR and tell them my situation, and they'd get me hooked up with the brackets for my car? I have an '87 camaro btw, not that it'd make much of a difference. So mmr are the ones who actually make the brackets, and they do it custom? Oh, I found them here... http://www.mmrusa.com/seatbrackdomestic.htm so I guess that'd be it huh, just order these off the net. sweetness dude, finally some "cheaper" seats... althought after all is said and done, I think they'd be about as much as corbeaus if you buy the more expensive tenzoR's... good gawd though, I think the brackets are 130$ a piece... that's pretty steep...
Old 02-11-2003, 08:18 PM

It's not cheap that's for sure. By the time all was done, it was probably about $700-800. A local import speed shop sells the seats for like $300 a piece, so $700 for seats, brackets, and sliders isn't too bad. One thing to keep in mind about these seats is that the side bolsters are very high and very hard. It only took me a day or two to get used to it, but most people that ride in my car have a tough time getting in and out. I don't think MMR makes the brackets themselve, although they claim to. When I called around 6 weeks to see where my stuff was, they told me that "there's a set of camaro brackets coming in on the next shipment, and you're at the top of the list". So I think they have they made by someone else and then they sell them. The problem I ran into, was that I bought my seats with the "universal sliders". But those are really only made to work with the tenzo seat brackets. So when I order the brackets they come with sliders (and I'm sure they charge a lot for them) and they won't leave them off. Before you order these, I'd call around to a few local metal fabrication shops and see how much they'd charge to do this. Just remember that the driver and passenger sides are different.