Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

how do i take my console out of my firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i take my console out of my firebird?

how do i take it out? i have a 87 firebird. its the 2 peice one the radio and heater controls are one peice then the lower part is seaperated. when i open my console and take those 2 bolts out i can pull up on the back of it and it will pop up but it seems to be held down somewhere around be the cigarete lighter in the ash tray? what am i doing wrong. i only wanna take the top piece off because im installing a new hurst v-matic shifter i got.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:24 PM

Car: '89 TA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M5
Open the ash tray hatch, take out the ash tray and look underneath, there's a screw there, that's it

ps-at least that's all I've ever had to do for my 2 birds
Old 02-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Hes right. Take out the bolt underneath the ashtray. Also take out the bolts in the bottom of the console. Take a flathead screwdriver and pull the u-shaped pin out from the back of the shifter handle...then pull handle up and off. Also take out the 2 screws at the back of the shifter plate (next to light for console). Take out bolt down by shifter that holds console in place.

You might have to take the radio pod out...I did. To do that...take out the radio and unhook it...also take out the 2 or 3 bolts that hold the climate control in place. Then take out the nut in the very back of the radio pod...if i remember right the nut faces the right side of the pod. Then turn the climate controls and pull the pod out.

You now should be able to remove the console. Make sure you disconnect all wires from the console including: Cigarette lighter, light bulb wire to shifter indicator, power window wires, power mirror wires, and console light wire (thats all i can remember). Good luck!