Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Help!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350 HO
Transmission: 700R4 + Shift Kit
Axle/Gears: Auburn Posi; Richmond 3:73 Gears
Help!!!!!!!!!

ok i got the cluster slide in and out but i can't get the speedo cable off help! any tricks i can see in there to see what i need to grab what do i grab ot push to get it off!!! what do i need to take off to get to it???!?!
Old 01-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro SC
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700r4
Follow the speedo cable up to the speedo. You will feel a metal tab to the left of where the cable attaches to the speedo. The way I take off the cable is by pushing the tab and pulling the gauge cluster out at the same time. Its a tight squeeze to get to the tab if you have big tabs.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
this is the tab. its best to use a screwdriver and press the tab down the cable should spring off...
Attached Thumbnails Help!!!!!!!!!-tab-speedo.jpg  
Old 01-25-2003, 11:04 AM

thanks i got it with the screw driver and then i had the hardest time reataching it. i used the search function and found the easiest way to get it off was drop the steering column. but to get it back on i had to use a pair of vise grips with a extended nose to hol the speedo wire out of the hole and itt slid right back on.

Thanks For all the help
Old 01-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
i never had to drop the steering column, i always did it by tilting the steering wheel all the way down pull out the cluster so that the gauges are pointing towards the floor and i slaide it out the right side. works fine. for reattaching i removed my under dash board, and put my hand back where the cable is and reattached it easily.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Bonnievillie
Engine: 3.8L
Man ur lucky that it worked for you...
didnt work out for me, that ****ing speedo cable would NOT come off, and I got cuts all up my arm becuase I could NOT fit my arm.
Not to mention my speedo broke, ill take pics
Old 01-26-2003, 01:31 AM

you said you couldn't get it off use a flat head screw driver then have somone with a small arm put it on the tab and you have to depress the tab all the way down i mean all the way down. i thought i had it all the way down at one point but it had like less than 1mm between the tab and the back of the speedo, but i couldn't push it with my finger no matter how hard i pushed but when i used a screw driver it poped off no problem but i also could reach my arm be hind it and my fingers under it if you take off the little plate that opens to view the steering column bracket you can pull the speedo out far enough to reach your fingers under it. that pice gives a little more room going from underneith and you sould be able to feel the tab and put the screw driver on it and push it down and pull the speedo out at the same time.

Last edited by zNucleaRz; 01-26-2003 at 01:33 AM.