Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Adding a dual A-pillar gage pod.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Adding a dual A-pillar gage pod.......

And yes, did a search. I plan to add a mechanical oil pressure gage, and I think an A/F ratio gage.

My stock oil pressure gage pretty much stays pegged past 60 when cold and stays there. After the car is completly warm, it'll sit right at 60 - but only at idle. So I need a higher pressure gage to cover that. I figure the 0-100 PSI would work well. At least I'll know where it's at.

I'm undecided about the fuel/air ratio gage. What will it tell me?? Can I use it to diagnose say, a bad O2 sensor? Adjust my carb?

Judging by the search I did, some say these gages are useless, while others say they're worth having. But with a carbed car like mine?

Opinions welcome...bashing not. - Thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think an A/F guage would be great for a carbed engine cause it would let you know if your running rich, lean, or just right at any speed and then you can do adjustments if need be. by summer i'll have one. and i've got a carbed 305. thats my opinion later
Old 01-23-2003, 03:29 PM

The oil pressure gauge is a good one to have. I also like the A/F gauge. I want to add one to my car. If your 02 sensor is working properly it will tell you how the engine is running. This is especially usefull if you change something like the intake manifold or exhaust. Doing things like this tend to lean the car out. The gauge will let you know how to tune the car.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
i think they're both good additions. I have them both, although i built my own A/F guage out of some spare parts lol. Deadbird has them on his website if you're wondering how to do it.

Steve
Old 01-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

i think it's a great idea your looking into guages. you should have proper working guages at all times.

as far as the a/f ratio....i have it for my nitrous. i love it because at full throttle it gives me a general, but important idea as to wether i'm running rich or lean which if you need to understand this importance we shall stop here.

i don't see them good for much more than giving a general idea like the above...i will agree that for the most part its an appearance mod more than anything.

i personally like it though because i constantly know if something is wrong or not with the mixture without paying major amounts of money for a better digital guage(can't think of their name right now).
Old 01-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Thanx to all that replied...

OK- sounds like I may as well get it. I kinda figured it would be handy for carb tweaking.

As for the appearance factor, I hope the gauge does'nt look too "cheesy" with constantly blinking lights. My side vision is screwed up enough. Besides, I'm way over that stuff and most likely one of the oldest on the board (39), so I don't need "Flashy" even though I'm realizing that the Hooker catback I just installed seems to draw a lot of attention from the younger crowd.

Now, I might as well get the gages, and that 2 1/2" Cowl hood I've been eyeballin...........

Maybe a 6 speed.....Nitrous..Posi...Hmmmmm....:hail:

And- Oh yeah, paint.

Kandied91z - What's that car of yours run anyway? I understand Nitrous a little, and I know it's really bad to run lean while spraying. I helped install a NOS kit into a buddy's 69 Road Runner with a 383. Seriously only took about 45 minutes. I was amazed!!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

my car ran a best of 13.8 at 104 n/a......