Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Frame Straightening

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frame Straightening

I was wondering how well frame straightening really works. I mean could a car that has had it's frame straightened be as functional one that hasn't, for example, running at the track with aspirations of running low 13's high 12's. The car that may need frame straightening is a 1987 camaro. And i know a lot of people are going to say don't waste your time, but that doesn't answer my question. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:55 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i guess it really depends on the shop and how bad the frame is..
Old 01-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
, It really depends on how the guy who does the frame goes about it, alot of people just like to hack out most of the parts and then pull the frame and replace what they took out....that is just gay. Most of the time you could pull the car as it is then once it is in specs reaplce the really busted up parts. It also depends on how accurate it is done, they way it was done in my shop was everything has to be easy to bolt on, you should not have to force anything and making holes larger or longer to get a taillight to fit means it ain't right. We got some messed up cars in there, like a 98 caravan, we took the WHOLE side off of the thing, onlt thing left was the B-piller and the the hatch, everything else was taken out and the van's roof had to be suppored by 2x4s so it would not fold on its self. But frame pulling that is done right costs money. Just get another car, or get an older one and put the newers ones panels on it. it is not worth it to have a frame pulled on these cars ne more.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

By the way, that van, it cost $16,000 to fix....say that numer out loud to get the full effect of it. Then just think that is was like a 26,000 car new, so....hummmmm...that car should have been totaled out.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:58 PM
TGO Supporter

Frame straightening is fine if done correctly. They can fix most anything, rule of thumb is if its kinked or torn then it gets replaced, otherwise it should be able to get fixed without replacing. All shops should put the car into specs before replacing anything, although i'm not sure if all do. And the frame straightening equipment now a days is very good. Most shops should be able to get the frame close to perfect, I think they usually try to get it on specs or 1-2mm from specs.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula WS6
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt; 3.42 Posi
depending on how bad it's been hit, the frame can be straightened, but WHO straightens it is incredibly important.

6 months after buying my 87 firebird new, a guy ran a red light and hit me square on the right rear wheel. i wanted the car checked on a frame jig, but the insurance company would only authorize the body shop doing the rest of the work to pull it on the floor using jacks, chains and tape measures.

i should never have given in.

after getting it back, the right front tire rubbed on hard left turns, it went through rear tires every 15,000 miles and "doglegged" going down the road. i took it to a frame shop and learned that not only was the frame bent, but all of the control arms and even the rear end housing was bent!

a year ago, someone smacked my jeep cherokee in a parking lot and took off. hit it in the right rear passenger door. driving it, i noticed wind noise from the LEFT rear passenger door, so i took it to a frame shop and had them put it on a frame jig. best 50 bucks i ever spent. the frame's tweaked and i'm still fighting with the insurance company over it. i won't give in this time.

i just bought an '89 firebird last night. i passed on two others because the frame shop showed their frames were bent from previous accidents.

my advice to anyone would be.

1. insist the frame be checked after ANY wreck more serious than a minor fender-bender.

2. have the frame checked on any car before you buy it. at the very least take it to a front end shop and have them do a 4 wheel alignment. if something's wrong, it'll show up there.

3. insist that ANY frame work be done by a reputable frame shop on a frame jig.

the guy who checked my jeep's frame told me people would be amazed by what frame damage could be fixed, but only on a frame jig by an experienced frame repairer.