Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

T-top dissasaembly question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-top dissasaembly question?

I am taking my t-tops apart, to replace the latches. I can see the bolts that hold the latch on, but how does one remove the weatherstripping to get at those bolts? These are threaded bolts or screws, not rivets. Once the weatherstripping is removed, is it reusable, or is it trashed? Any other advice from someone whos done this?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be able just to take it apart. I'd start up at the T-bar. use a putty scraper to gently pry up the weatherstripping. Once the t-bar is done, SLOWLY pull it out of the grooves until you get to the end of the stripping. This will probably be rusty. On mine, the bar that holds the t-tops down was completely rusted off and I needed a new one. This is a perfect time to unscrew that center black plate and sand it and paint it with POR-15 or Rustoleum. Also paint the area under it if it has any chipping or rusting, as water tends to get down there. Do what you need to to adjust the tops, and then after, use some good white silicon caulking to put it all back on. If you don't rip the weatherstripping too badly, just clean it up and put it back down. New T-top weatherstripping is about $100 PER SIDE. If you do rip it, get some black weatherstripping adhesive and glue it together again. Use a screwdriver to pry the edges of the stripping back under the ledges again. This will eliminate any leaks. Mine used to pour water whenever I washed it, and now I can hold the hose on the seam and it won't leak a drip.