Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Restoration questions!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restoration questions!! Help!!

here ya go guys...afew problems
first off, i got a 78 firebird, but i also own a third gen.
the firebird is a restoration piece. here are my questions

first off...the back seats are immaculate, and red vynal. the front seats are trash. should i look into getting a set of racing seats cuz they are abit cheaper, and i think i can get a red cover for them to match the other seats?
the plastic's...like dash, side panels etc. is there any way to fix the scratches on it? or am i screwed into buying a new one?
floor pans:
floor pans seem in good condidtion, but some small pinhole rust spots from t-top leaks...should i weld/solder a piece of metal overtop or underneath it? or do i need new floor pans?
the rims? do i ned new ones or can i refinish the old painted rims? (refinished would look nice, but is it worth it?
exhaust:
it has a stock exhaust (collecter pipe to cat, to mid pipe to muffler then out with dual tailpipes on each side.) i want to go to true dual with glasspacks on each side, and side pipes, how would this sound and how do i convert it?
i also started some body work, but stupid me sanded down to the metal on a 1 ' by 6" spot, and it stays outside under a car cover and it snows here in NJ, how can i avoid rust? (i wont do that again!)
thanks guys
that should hold me off for abit....
Old 01-06-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc and 88 k2500 tbi truck
Engine: l98 and lo5
Transmission: 700 r4's babby
i would get new floor pans there cheap and easy and will have the right lok the seats if this is going to be a real resto get the stock ones re done. pipes i think glasspacks suck ya they're loud but they have no thump sounds r|ce'ish to me. about the body sand off the rust prime and then just spray some cheap paint on it if you just want to stop the rust.