Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

New Carpet time

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Carpet time

Im going to put new carpet in the Z.

Any tips for a beginner?

Will the new carpet Just sit in there or is there some type of adhesive that needs to be used?

Can the carpet come out without re-moving the center counsel??

Any tips, help or suggestions you guys got will be appreciated!!
Old 01-02-2003, 01:42 AM

Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: TH700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 drum
i've never done it, but im going to replace mine soon also. yes , the console will have to come out, and the seats and maybe a couple obvious things. i don't think an adhesive is necessary, but i may use something, i dunno. what color carpet are you looking for? al's in franklin had a couple decent looking carpets last time i was there.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:14 PM

i have replaced carpeting b4 in cars, but have not done it yet in my camaro (planning on doing that when it comes out of storage), im pretty sure you have to take the center console out. as far as adhesives go, you are gonna need to use some good caulk, try a product called liquid nails, it works really well. you can buy the carpet from autozone for 10 bucks a role, you will need at least 2 roles to do it. if you dont want to have to cut and size the carpet you can buy it precut and sized for our 3rdgen fbodys at www.nextgenparts.com however they charge quite a bit
p.s. make sure your in a well ventilated area when you use the caulk otherwise you will get really sick and high off of that stuff
good luck man
Old 01-02-2003, 03:24 PM

I have replaced the carpet in my "bird" and yes the console has to be removed, along with all the seats, the plastic trim panels in the hatch,the sail panels and the scuff plates at the bottom of the door. you do no need to use any glue or adhesive as long as you use "molded" carpet made for the car. you will have to do some trimming of the carpet aroung the console area, (BE CAREFULL), don't trim off too much carpet because it will show when you reinstall the console. be very carefull and take your time when doing the install, remember, you can always cut more off but it is very hard to add carpet back on. make sure you get carpet that has the sound absorbent backer attached to it, it make a HUGE difference in the road noise when driving.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:33 PM

yah no glue for premolded, but if your cutting it yourself then you will need adheasive
Old 01-03-2003, 03:22 AM

Car: 86 iroc
Engine: 350 carbed
Transmission: t5
Originally posted by 89rsIMPRTETR
p.s. make sure your in a well ventilated area when you use the caulk otherwise you will get really sick and high off of that stuff
good luck man [/B]
sick bad ,high good
Old 01-03-2003, 07:55 AM

If you use adhesives, which types can come off easily if you ever want to change the carpeting again? I'd like to replace all my carpeting now, but I'm currently only replacing the hatch carpeting since it needs it. Who sells the best carpets? (Preferably ones that are easy to clean.)
Old 01-03-2003, 08:01 AM

well im not sure what brands will not work, but like i said above there is a brand of caulk called liquid nails, you can find it at almost any home decore business. also another good tip is to put the adhesive on both the carpet and your floorboard that way it sticks better