Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Carpet Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 02:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
Carpet Installation/Trim Removel

I orderd a carpet set for my camaro from summit raceing 125 deliverd. How will i go about installing this and makeing it look good. What pannles will i have to take off. And how do i get my center console out of the car i tried to take it out when i did my heatercore but it would not come out. Also how will i take off the pannles in the back seat were the speaker covers go on with the arm rests back there And any other plastic pice i basicly want to clean those up they are filthy and dirty looking im. Im going to buy all the parts now and install them when summer comes around since its raing down here and i would ike to have a clean interior for the summer with my new paint job im gettin soon. Any advice would be great. Oh what kind of padding should i use under the carpet if the carpet dosent come with it i would like to used dynamat but its to expensive is there something cheaper that works just as good?

Last edited by FAST RS; 12-29-2002 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:56 AM

I am replacing my carpet also havent put it back in yet because I am going to put the foil backed insulation down first the hardest thing was getting the console over the emergency brake lever. Dont know if I did it right but after I took off the top cover and cracking it in the process I figured out by pulling the pin out of the e brake handle where the cable hooks on you can then raise the e brake straight up thus making it easier to remove the rest of the console and also to reassemble. Take your time and put screws and fasteners in ziplock bags and lable them where they go it saves alot of trouble later. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

You need to take out EVERYTHING....

Seats, console, panels, and even the seat belts.....
Old 12-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
How do i take out the inside plastic sail pannlel covers ive tried in the past to get them out and could never get them out nor could i get the back cargo compartment out.

What is the foil backing your talking about what does it do ?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:49 PM

Everything basically unscrews. The rear cargo pieces are held in w/ those big colored plastic screws, as well as some others. I think you also have to remove the big black things that anchor the rear seat into it's upright position. It's all pretty straight forward, just look for screws!

MILT
Old 12-30-2002, 02:27 PM

Take it easy on the big plastic screws, cause they snap really easily and arent that cheap for what they are.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While we're on the subject, I think I'm going to go with the ACC carpet from 1aaauto (ebay). Can someone tell me if any type of padding is required under the carpet, or recommended?

I've heard that a lot of people are coating their floorpans with that duplex sound proofing spray as well, does this dry sticky? I wouldn't want to make a future carpet pull any more difficult than it has to be, should it need replaced again.

Lastly, what can I expect in pulling the stock carpet? I know I have to remove just about everything from the interior, but is it glued down, should I expect a major cleaning task before putting down the new stuff? Oh, and do you have to pull your dash, or just the console? It's been a while since I've been down there, I seem to remember the carpet ending somewhere just below the dash tho.

Thanks,

Mathius
Old 12-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

It DOES have patches of glue that hold it down to the floorpan......Needless to say they DON't come with the carpet very easy so you may need some new ones....

Since you have all the carpet out already most people will do some sound proofing, also padding is nice to have, but the carpet should come with enough.....

If you haven't cleaned underneath the carpet in a while or live on a gravel road, take a couple hours to clean...

No it doesn't dry sticky, it dries hard which means it you ever want to remove the sound proofing....have fun.....

Just the console...The dash can stay.....It just slides right out of the back of the dash.....
Old 01-02-2003, 10:50 AM

The only glue I found is where your feet would contact the carpet I guess thats so it doesnt bunch up under your feet. I am going to put down the foil backed padding also for extra heat protection from my headers. The area Im not sure about is an extra piece of padding not part of the carpet that goes from about where your heel would be at the gas pedal up along the fire wall over the hump. Mine was not in real great shape probably because of some water damage from a leaky windshield. But this piece also looks like it goes behind the heater core, box etc. This I guess would be a dealer item? Has anyone out there ever taken this out?
Old 01-04-2003, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Camaro, 2015 Audi A4
Engine: V8
Transmission: 700R4
heh, yea, about those clips breaking easy and being expensive...he's right.

I bought my interior from the junkyard, the bastard ripped them all out with brute force, where can i get ALL the trim clip deals? i need'em for everything from the side windows back, and for the A-pillars, no idea what size they are, don't have any examples to go by......pls help
Old 01-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I put ACC carpet in my car (from 1aauto.com too!) a couple years ago (2000). I didn't put any extra padding anywhere, didn't glue anything down, and it came out great. Once you punch holes for the seat rail bolts and the seatbelts and the rear seats and etc, the carpet "locks down" and isn't going to slide around anywhere. Tip: Use an awl to poke thru the carpet when you find a seat belt hole. Don't use your old carpet as a guide for holes, if you're a little off for some of those holes, you could bunch the carpet up trying to get the holes to align. Just make all the holes with the new carpet in the car. Be careful around the center console so your blade knife doesn't cut any wires.

And remember to follow torque settings for the seat belt attachment bolts!!

You'll get a laugh out of all the people who always say "to make your car lighter, remove all the padding from underneath your carpet". Yeah, well, I ripped all the old padding off of my old carpet just to see how heavy it was; it was maybe 2 or 3 pounds.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:54 PM

Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: T-5
CAN YOU SPRAY DOWN THE BED LINER STUFF UNDER THE CARPET ??
Old 01-06-2003, 01:26 AM

Car: 1983 Black Z28
Engine: 350 5.7 Carb
Transmission: Standard
yes you can.. it protects great
Old 01-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears
Alot of the guys I know and talk to puts down the bed liner stuff, or an alum roll roofing called peel and seal. I'm useing that in my 88 camaro

The peel and seal is made for roofing, but works better than the dynamat stuff for blocking out heat and sound. It Has tar looking stuff on the side with the glue on it, then alum foil looking stuff on the top side. You peel the backing paper off and just sick it down. The only place I been able to find it is LOWE'S. It comes in a 6'' wide x 25' roll for $6 bucks

I'm also useing another heat/sound blocker over top of that. I found it at Lowe's too. It looks like two alum space blankets with bubble wrap in the middle. It came in a 4' x 25' roll for around $43,
Old 01-07-2003, 01:31 PM

Removing the interior is a lot easier than it looks. I replaced my carpeting about 3 months ago, and i was a little apprehensive about removing the interior. Start by removing the back seat cushions. Theres a big screw right where the cushion meeets the floor. Now do the back rest(s) Theres a stud at each lower corner that goes througha bracket and is secured with a nut. One the back seat is out, you'll be able to see the screws that hold the rear arm rests in. When youve got those out, unscrew the big colored plastic ones that mount the plastic panels in the hatch area. Pull on the panels gently, and youll see there are more hidden fasteners holding them in. Just pull on them evenly and they come out easy and you wont break anything. you also need toremove the lower door trim pieces. They're just screwed in. You need to take the console out too. Pull the e-brake handle all the way back, and youll see the screw that holds the handle on. Remove the handle. Also remove the shift ****. youll need to pry the little clip out and it comes right off. To remove the console, theres 2 bolts in the glove compartment area. There may be others, but those were the only 2 on my 87 Trans Am. Nows the easy part. Put the carpeting in, punch out any holes you need for seatbelts etc. and install the rest of the interior. just put everything back in in the reverse order of how you took it out. HTH. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by ontogenesis
heh, yea, about those clips breaking easy and being expensive...he's right.

I bought my interior from the junkyard, the bastard ripped them all out with brute force, where can i get ALL the trim clip deals? i need'em for everything from the side windows back, and for the A-pillars, no idea what size they are, don't have any examples to go by......pls help
Autozone's got alot of that crap, good luck matching the color. For the pillars and stuff you can rig them to fit with regular clips like the ones on the door panels, they work pretty good. Best thing to do would be find another junkyard interior and score all the clips. Thats what i did when i swapped mine.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
The peal and Seal stuff, how flamable is it? I mean the glue/tar stuff.

The "space blanket buble wrap stuff" what section of lowes is it in, what is around it.