Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

making my car look decent

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
making my car look decent

I have a 86 berlinta.Or however you spell it.Anyway the car isn't in that bad of shape.The fenders aren't horrible.There dented up though little dings.And I thought the hood was good until recently.When I finnaly got a all the crude off the paint and found some dents in it.The qauters are pretty good.it has one spot on each side that needs some attention.On the driver side it is right where it kind flares a little bit.On the passenger it looks like where the spare tire goes filled with water and rusted it out from the inside.I have decided to start with the front and work my way back.

The front fenders I plan on getting some aftermarket replacements.I have put them on 2 trucks now and they are a little harder to look right and the gaps aren't as easy to line up.I Am going to use them though.

I am not sure on the hood yet.I know I want a fiberglass cowl.I don't want a giant 5 inch one.I am looking at a harwood lift off and one on hawks third gen parts.I think it says ascp makes it or something like that.Does anyone have any experince with harwoods.I read some where they don't like to fit right.

Has anyone ever got patch panels for the qauters for these cars.To be honest I haven't even called about them yet.I am not even sure if they make them though.Again I have installed them on trucks.A little time with a plasma cutter,flanger and welder.Some body filler and you are set.I am not afraid of body work.Takes time and patience.

I am also not sure if I am going to put ground effects on it or not.

Thanks for anyhelp
Old 10-23-2002, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but I'll just lend a small piece of advice. Plan out just how far you're going to go with your car. If it's going to be a keeper no matter what - then go all out. If you just want it to look nice as a daily driver/beater then that's something else entirely.

Be aware that this "hobby" can turn into a giant primer gray hole in your driveway that you throw money into, never to see again, and you certainly WON'T get your money out of; you're lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar when you sell. If you're good with that, be sure that you are starting with a platform that makes sense - don't start with an utterly base model and make it into a top of the line model. Spend the extra initial cash to get a higher end model and go with that.

Take it from a guy that started with the base model and NOW has over 20K into it. It's also most excellent that you can do your own body work and aren't afraid of it. That's a good start.

Just my $.0199,
Steve
Old 10-23-2002, 05:46 PM

Yeah I plan on keeping the car.I started with a base model.I bought the car because it was all I could afford at the time.And I kinda got that ok I got the money and there is a car I want.Hmm.So I ended up waiting for the title and eventually finnaly getting it home.I found out the block was cracked after alot of overheating headaches.So I pulled the motor and tranny out.And it sat behind my dad's garage for a few months.I ended up putting it in my basement.(there's a garage door)Right now I have a 350 4 bolt main block that needs all the machine work done.A crank that already has the machine work done.I also have a complete 400 small block that I might put in the car or build a 383 with.A set of vortec heads and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyway I am working 2 jobs and finnally have some money to be able to work on it.I was going to build the motor and trans first.I figured I should get it in primer.Get the suspension,brakes,rearend stuff,Everything else done.Then build the motor and tranny.

The car is a strip only car.Not going to be street driven at all.

I am going to try and find the pics I have of it when I first bought it.

Last edited by 86budgetSC; 10-23-2002 at 05:50 PM.