Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Digital Dash and Radio Upgrades ?s

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Dash and Radio Upgrades ?s

I have an 87 GTA, and it doesnt have a digital dash, and i am looking for answers as to how hard this swap is, and what all needs to be changed and such. also the steering wheel was changed, and there is no radio and dont know if the car was original with the radio controls. it has the performance sound and built in amplifier button. i just need to know how hard these upgrades are and what parts i will need to do so.. any help would be nice. thanks
Old 10-19-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: Digital Dash and Radio Upgrades ?s

The performance sound system is easy to upgrade since the amp uses speaker level inputs. Like the monsoon system used in fourthgens, just drive over to the local walmart or bestbuy and purchase a new aftermarket radio, mounting kit and the harness adapter for your vehicle. Solder the harness adapter to the aftermarket radio harness, and the rest of the swap is "plug and play".

For reliability sake, be glad that you do not have the digital dash in your car.

Originally posted by ThirdGenP@rts
I have an 87 GTA, and it doesnt have a digital dash, and i am looking for answers as to how hard this swap is, and what all needs to be changed and such. also the steering wheel was changed, and there is no radio and dont know if the car was original with the radio controls. it has the performance sound and built in amplifier button. i just need to know how hard these upgrades are and what parts i will need to do so..
Old 10-19-2002, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84z, 65 elcamino
Engine: l69 and a hyped up sbc in the camino
Transmission: t5 m21
Axle/Gears: 373s 411s
is it worth while to have them install the deck or should i do it. the wires look diff
Old 10-19-2002, 09:18 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I believe for you to switch over to digital dash you need a new wiring harness along with the dash, sensors, and a new radiator, that has a temp sensor hole. I swapped my 305 to a 350 and was gonna change more stuff but to keep the digital dash i had to leave a lot of stuff alone. The digital dash works, the only part that is faulty is the odometer, mine turns off every once in a while and doesn't count. Went to a swap meet not too long ago, 400 mile trip, only counted 12.5 miles. If you have any other questions let me know.

Later

Dave

ps - the radio control steering wheels were introduced in 1988, the 87 had the regular firebird wheel with a small gta emblem as the horn button.