Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

steering column pleas ehelp

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering column pleas ehelp

hey my p.o.s. steering column is all messed up i have tilt steering and the thing got lose and wobbles all over and my dad thinks it's a bearing and if it is i want to buy a whole new steering wheel column so if anybnody has an extra one i need to buy it so email me at h_a_c_k_e_d_@hotmail.com
Old 10-18-2002, 09:22 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 305 (L03)
Transmission: 700 R4
The column could be shot or the screws inside are loose. I thought mine on my old 89 was shot too and bought a new one, while tearing the old one out I noticed the star screws and they were loose and tightened them and the tild worked fine again. Not saying that was what is wrong with yours but worth a shot. Buy another one take yours out and see, just in case it's not you still have the other one to put in!!
Old 10-18-2002, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Same thing with my 84Z28. Takes a little time, but you will most likely find that the bolts inside have just come loose. Well worth the time to take it apart a tighten. Keep in mind the signal light cancellation when you put it back. Friend of mine had the same problem with 2nd gen.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:38 PM

Yeah I think everyone with tilt wheel has or has had this same thing, I tore mine all the way down there are 4 bolts that hold it tight, it's a pain but much better when done. I had to repace the ball bearings while in there.

good luck
Old 10-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 iroc, 87 iroc, 89 iroc, 89 formula, 84 supra, 85 trans am
Engine: t\a motor 355 lt1 intake, t56,the works, 89 roc 427 sbc tt project
Transmission: to many to list
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 4:10 in the T/A
not me, i fixed it the second month i had it. i need to put a new tilt shaft bearing in it though, because it lost 1 bearing. it is a common problem with ALL tilt wheels from any manufacturer. i know, i fix them.

thanks
anthony
Old 10-19-2002, 12:49 AM

The screws at #52 are what they are talking about. They do work their way loose and make the column feel "sloppy". Use locktite on them before tightening them back up. Just take your time dissassembling and watch where everything goes and how it interacts with other parts and you'll be ok. Save that money on a new column.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails steering column pleas ehelp-column.gif  
Old 10-19-2002, 12:08 PM

thanks alot guys i really apriciate it.. glad i found this site
Old 10-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: steering column pleas ehelp

Originally posted by 84_transam_fast
hey my p.o.s. steering column is all messed up i have tilt steering and the thing got lose and wobbles all over and my dad thinks it's a bearing and if it is i want to buy a whole new steering wheel column so if anybnody has an extra one i need to buy it so email me at h_a_c_k_e_d_@hotmail.com
I just got done fixing mine last week. Dont even start the job till you have the pivot pin puller, find it on ebay for 10bucks shipped.

everything else can be done with regular tools.

all 4 screws for my tilt were out, I had lots of slop.

the torx screws inside the column can be removed with an standard size allen wrench. and the reverse torx screw that hold the tilt on a 1/4 12 point socket will work on them.

other than the pivot pin puller, all basic hand tools can be used, but you gotta be good at taking things apart and putting them back together again. it is kinf od a bitch, you gotta take it all apart. unhook wires, dropig the column helps and laying out parts in order will help.

sterring wheel puller is not needed either, just put the nut on enough so you can mash any threads, and smack it with a hammar as you jerk on the wheel.

unless you got all kinds of loot to spend on tool too only use once. or someone to borrow from.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 iroc, 87 iroc, 89 iroc, 89 formula, 84 supra, 85 trans am
Engine: t\a motor 355 lt1 intake, t56,the works, 89 roc 427 sbc tt project
Transmission: to many to list
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 4:10 in the T/A
i bought a master steering wheel puller set that does any car and has he pivot remover, both the airbag and normal press that is used to take the snap rings out, and the new and old style bolts that go into the wheel to pull it off for $100 from the matco man. it is a steller deal and good quallity, and a lifetime waranty.
that mite be overkill for a person just needing it for a few times, if you happen to oly need it every now and then, go get one from autozone, they make you pay what it is worth and will pay you back when you bring it back. it helps to have the appropiate tools to do this so you can reuse everything, if you beat in ****, you will almost always have to replace a couple of the fragile pieces.
i bought the set because i use it at least once a week, because i fix electrical, minor mechanical, and other small problems at a body shop. it was one of the best investmenys besides the other $8000 worth of tools i bought .

thanks
anthony