Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone who knows how to fiberglass come in

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 03:07 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Anyone who knows how to fiberglass come in

Situation-new carb, intake, and spacer sit waay to tall to go under factory 86 firebird hood, also under hood heat issues as you're well aware of. Body man gets the car in a couple of weeks after cage is installed, right now just have a hole cut in the hood to clear the air cleaner and was gonna buy the Harwood bolt on scoop-I've seen a few at the strip with this and I was'nt a fan of the scoop, but they did'nt look that bad, anyway just won a Harwood fiberglass cowl (just the cowl) off E-Bay for the firebird and I was planning on getting a GTA steel hood with the intake holes in front (for TPI unit I'm assuming) and the "vents" at the back corners and having the cowl glassed onto this hood. Is this possible and if yes what is the probability of future cracks at the transition joint. This car is 90% strip but I do take it on the raod when weather permits, I want this to look nice for a while after it's done, then when the rest of the mods are finished I'll buy a regular fiberglass hood if needed. The guy doing the work has very high standards and been in the bis for many years, muliple show winners come out of his shop, so if it's possible I know he'll make it right, but I'd just like a little input from the boys here. Thanks
Old 10-07-2002, 04:59 PM

where the fiberglass will be joining the steel, if you rough the steel up real good with a 24 grit grinding disk the fiberglass matting and resin should grab to it pretty well. i have done some fiberglass work on steel but i haven't seen them later on down the road to see how well it held up. after a few months they still looked good but its been a long time since i have seen any of my older work.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:24 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:35 PM

also if i were you, and i think this would help, use a couple small rivets around the scoop. you can grind the heads down a tad and fiberglass over them and they won't be seen from the outside. it will help reinforce it, reducing cracks from the force of the wind at higher speeds and it will help keep it from flying off.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:45 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

I'll pass that on to the body man, thanks.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:55 PM

no problem....shoot some pics of the finished product if ya can
Old 10-09-2002, 06:17 PM

Car: 82' Z28 IROC Clone (SOLD)
Engine: 355
Transmission: Built TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
Fiberglass done right will hold stronger then metal in some cases...Don't buy the fiberglass repair kit, you get the tub of the green resin and some matting...I molded a porsche wing on my bug that way 3 years ago still looks awesome!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:48 PM

Car: '86 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH700R-4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73
Ya Fast3rdgen just took the words out of my mouth.
I fully agree about the rivets they will keep it on there nice without any cracking.You will have to cut the scoop where the contours in the hood are in the middle.
And yes don't get the repair kit fiberglass cause it'll cost more and it sucks.
Alittle while back I fixed my rust holes in the rear quarter panel with fiberglass and carbon fiber to reinforce the edges on the inside and they have held up perfectley for two years now.
These pics are before it was finished but you can see that alot of it I made and that's black primer not paint so that's why it looks like Shiiot.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone who knows how to fiberglass come in-fiberglassmagic.jpg