Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

painted my interior pieces

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
painted my interior pieces

I probably should have asked or searched before asking this but anyway, i finishe painting most of my interior pieces today, i went from grey to black, i first cleaned the pieces then i scuffed them up and sprayed some dupli color clear primer that said it was made for plastic pieces, I then sprayed normal dupli color black spray paint over it. Now my question is do you guys think it will last or wll it start to crack and fade after like a month???
Old 10-06-2002, 09:33 PM

Car: Hardtop 84' z/95' Cheyenne
Engine: 305 H.O./4.3L
Transmission: 5-speed manual/Auto
I did this and the paint falls off to the touch i used the same technique you used and vinal and fabric spray paint. Im just gonna take the whole interior outta my parts car.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

You shoud apply more than 1 coat, also use a clear coat on top of that.....

Since it's paint, and EVERY paint fades over time you will begin to see it after a while.........Not soon though......

Just remember clean, scuff a little, apply primer, apply AT LEAST 2 coats, the finish with the clear coat...

I did this to some interior plastic and it has held up to the florida sun for the past 5 months and looks good....
Old 10-07-2002, 01:11 AM
Supreme Member

I used Testors model paint. its kinda pricey but you figure its made to stick to plastic, and has 1000 colors ..

The speaker grilels are starting to chip a bit, but then again they are in DIRECT sunlight with a black dash around it. My dashboard and door handles are still perfect.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:34 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that interior looks good painted like that deadtrend1...
Old 10-08-2002, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 iroc-z custom
Engine: 355 tuned port
Transmission: 5spd baby, only way to go
Axle/Gears: 3.45
i painted my interior and didnt use a clear coat or primer..i did that the very first year i owned the car and still no chipping or sun fade...granted ive only put 8000 kms on her in 3 years but it still sat all that time in the sun baking..

iroc2nv
Old 10-08-2002, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Originally posted by deadtrend1
I used Testors model paint. its kinda pricey but you figure its made to stick to plastic, and has 1000 colors ..

The speaker grilels are starting to chip a bit, but then again they are in DIRECT sunlight with a black dash around it. My dashboard and door handles are still perfect.
Hey sweet, that's what my gauge area looks like (minus the white faces), I just painted mine red like that. I was thinking about paiting those other pieces too (speaker grille, etc.) but i wasn't sure if it'd be too much, doesn't look too bad though
Old 10-08-2002, 12:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
If you prep the parts properly, the paint will stick fine. Wash the parts with rubbing alcohol, paint thinner (sparingly), mineral spirits or "Final Wash". This will remove all of the armor-all. Then sand it lightly with 400 grit paper, and spray multiple light coats until it has even coverage. I did my kick panels like that 2 or 3 years ago and they still look brand new.

If you want exactly the right color, your local parts house can mix the OEM colors. They use regular automotive paints, so you'll need a spray gun, reducer, hardner, etc. in order to spray it, but your results will be better than what a rattle can can do.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
On mine, I primered, sanded, sanded, sanded some more, then sanded with finer grit sandpaper, and then sprayed two or three coats of red high-heat engine paint (no joke). It worked pretty nicely actually. I would like to respray a closer matching color though.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Originally posted by deadtrend1

that looks sweet. ive been debating whether or not to do this to my car, mainly because it seems kinda *****. deadtrend1, what other pieces do you have painted?
Old 10-10-2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
If you prep the parts properly, the paint will stick fine. Wash the parts with rubbing alcohol, paint thinner (sparingly), mineral spirits or "Final Wash". This will remove all of the armor-all. Then sand it lightly with 400 grit paper, and spray multiple light coats until it has even coverage. I did my kick panels like that 2 or 3 years ago and they still look brand new.

If you want exactly the right color, your local parts house can mix the OEM colors. They use regular automotive paints, so you'll need a spray gun, reducer, hardner, etc. in order to spray it, but your results will be better than what a rattle can can do.
I'll second that. Prep is the key to any good paint job be it interior plastics or a steel fender. I'd only add one step for good measure, Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. I used it on my interior almost 2 years ago and it still looks great (except on the pieces where I got lazy and didn't prep too well)
Old 10-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Skatepunk60
I did this and the paint falls off to the touch i used the same technique you used and vinal and fabric spray paint. Im just gonna take the whole interior outta my parts car.
Do NOT use vinyl or fabric paints on plastic. These parts are neither vinyl, nor fabric, so of course it didn't work. Duh.

Use Acrylics on plastic parts, you can find it in the spray form as well. That's why model masters testors worked so well for the forementioned poster. These happen to be acrylics. Make sure you clearcoat it well too. I'd research what clearcoat you're going to use. You need something that's going to stand up to heat in the summer without glazing or some such thing.

Mathius