Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

anybody try that 98-02 style big bulge hood on thier ta from gta?your opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody try that 98-02 style big bulge hood on thier ta from gta?your opinion please

gta now wants $455 a piece for those rear fiberglass spoilers...funk dat!!!
however,they offer this really cool hood for our (thirdgen)firebirds...its like a stock firebird hood,but with the dual bulges like the 98-02 trans ams have.Has anybody tried that hood?good fit?worth the extra $ to have them cut out the vents and include screens??gripes,comments,concerns,praises????
im hoping somebody else has tried one before i go blow $600 on a freggin hood.
thanks!!!!
Old 09-23-2002, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
bulges ??? do you mean the Ram air2 hood.

cous heres a pic of a Dule Bulge hood and Its not like what GTA sells
Attached Thumbnails anybody try that 98-02 style big bulge hood on thier ta from gta?your opinion please-imsa.jpg  
Old 09-24-2002, 02:09 AM

where can i get some info on that IMSA hood that thing is sweet
Old 09-24-2002, 07:23 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I think it's funny that everybody encourages people like GTAuto to produce thirdgen products, then complains when they see the prices. It's amazing that anything gets produced for thirdgens at all. All of that stuff is produced in low numbers, usually by hand, and isn't cheap to make.

I swear thirdgenners have got to be the cheapest group of car owners I've ever seen. I guess it's got a lot to do with the fact that the vast majority are owned by young people, but I just find it ironic when everybody bitches about not having anything available for our cars, then bitches when somebody makes it but can't afford to give it away.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 Corvette
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: Freakin Automatic---For Now
Originally posted by Jim85IROC
I think it's funny that everybody encourages people like GTAuto to produce thirdgen products, then complains when they see the prices. It's amazing that anything gets produced for thirdgens at all. All of that stuff is produced in low numbers, usually by hand, and isn't cheap to make.

I swear thirdgenners have got to be the cheapest group of car owners I've ever seen. I guess it's got a lot to do with the fact that the vast majority are owned by young people, but I just find it ironic when everybody bitches about not having anything available for our cars, then bitches when somebody makes it but can't afford to give it away.
I'll second that. Car parts in general, especially body parts, are not cheap anyway. If you don't want to spend your money, then don't. I think that 400-500 dead presidents for a nice spoiler is quite a bargain, if your car is nice enough. Mine has some problems, but is worth the spoiler, or whatever else I buy for it. I just hope that aftermarket companies keep making the go fast & body parts for our cars...please.
As for that IMSA hood, I think that is is available from Motion Glass in NY. I bought their 'Twin Turbo" hood a few years back for my second Firebird and the curve didn't match my car. They will stand behind their products, but it gets expensive to ship back & forth.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3:27
Hey guys look at the alternative to our cars. I mean $455.00 is not bad considering we can buy a HONDA and pay $500.00 for a fart bomb rather than drill a whole in the Goddamn muffler. Or we can spend $1500.00 and get one of those nifty Boeing 747 Aluminum wings so we can get all that much needed downforce that is so desired in the Donut shop parking lot. And why would you want your front end planted anyway??? Oh yeah I forgot HONDAS are front drive....so getting the force to the rear tires is so much more benificial to these idiots.

Face it Brother's....are cars are a dying breed. The only way we can hope to get any respectible power or decent looking rear drive machine is to spend big and grab a Viper or European Job. Theres nothing left but the Mustang. And that cars pretty much gone for a Sh*t anyway. So if you think about it. Buying the car for a few grand and dumping a few more in it is pretty good considering they keep up to todays limited power houses.....or you could consider the rice alternative?? But then you could cut your grass in air conditione dcomfort right?

Just a thought

Later boys....................
Old 09-24-2002, 07:27 PM

I totallly agree,these cars may cost alot to get them the way you want it but what choice do you have,,,another car payment,,thats expencive too. I like it the way it is now I make my car payment whenever I want a new this or that. My hood was expencive too but you will NEVER hear me bitch about it.
Shop around if you don't like there price, but I don't think your gona get much for under $400.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: L98
Well with what everybody said above, it may be expensive but the quality is excellent (at least for the Aerowing). Also these parts are not mass-produced so of course they are gonna be more expensive.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC
Engine: 305
MAN!!!! all i want to know is what Hood the guy is talking about ?? im sure he Ment the Ram air2 hood, but all I want to know is if he ment that Hood

Last edited by bj350hp; 09-24-2002 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:34 PM

OK,OK

Ok guys,yes i understand.Yes parts are getting tougher to find for our thirdgens.However i was under the impression(said on alot of other posts of thirdgenners) that gta sold the 85-87 style wraparound wing for $350+shipping...now all of a sudden its over $100 more even if i spent money on thier hood at the same time.Also i didnt want to pay a whole krapload for it if i didnt know its quality.Thats why i asked you folks...tell me how gta's(or compeditors) stuff looks/fits!!!!!If its great quality that doesent need alot of prep at the body shop after i bolt it on,then i have no prop blowing half a paycheck on it....
ok now back to what i wanted to know in the first place...
has anyone tried that new ram air hood that gta sells?worth the money and time involved?how well does it fit???
if you dont know what im talking about,click on gta's banner at the top of the start page..and look at that maroon gta.Im talking about that hood.(looks like one off a new 98-02 ta ram air hood) anybody who has bought one form gta or thier compeditors please post!!!!!
thanks for the input guys!!!
bigmike
Old 09-25-2002, 06:55 AM
Supreme Member

I like mine.

S.

Old 09-25-2002, 07:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Re: OK,OK

Originally posted by mikeage2
Ok guys,yes i understand.Yes parts are getting tougher to find for our thirdgens.However i was under the impression(said on alot of other posts of thirdgenners) that gta sold the 85-87 style wraparound wing for $350+shipping...now all of a sudden its over $100 more
bigmike
When was it $350? I was quoted $450 over a year ago when I inquired about it.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 Convertible Z03
Engine: 383 SuperRam
Axle/Gears: 2.73
nah its ugly But I like mine

Old 09-25-2002, 08:01 AM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
Ya i have to say you guys do complain quite a bit about prices for third gen parts. Try owning a bmw, and then own an old bmw to top it off. Now get one that wasn't as popular as the generation just before and just after. You want to talk about exspensive parts, difficult to find and almost impossible to get work done on. And i owned and maintained one through highschool. Then theres the almost non existant aftermarket and the unbelievable prices they charge (strut tower brace. Third gen $150+ 78 bmw 320i 250+, Decent set of rims, from 100-1000 bmw damn near impossible to find and new anywere from 200-2000. gas tank third gen, econo cheapy autozone 150, bmw split tank designe bmw only 700+, Feul distributor bmw (don't think third gen has anything similar) 1000 new, 800 used, if it don't work you don't work). Quite frankly i was very very happy when i went in and got top notch parts for everything in a tune up and spent just under 100. (brakes front, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, oil and filter, some other odds and ends) To know that should i ever get the body cleaned up and painted that there are some very nice and relativly inexspensive mods is quite refreshing, not to mention damn near the entire engine is availible at the local parts store.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:08 PM

thats the hood!!

ok guys thats the hood im talking about.on a fe wposts people did say ther wraparound was 350...
ok now:
guys that bought the hood:
how did it fit????worth the wait for it?di dyou have to spend alot of $$ at the bodyshop having them prep it or was it pretty smooth to start with????????????
those are the questions i wanted answered in the first place lol!oh and dude with the bmw...sorry to hear you own one...i know every time i work on one at work parts are never available...i really started hating them when ytour looking for a part called a temperurrregler
no joke !!!!!
yes im a younger dude,so mabye thats why i griped about the prices.whatever..
somebody thjat has that hood or rea rspoiler PLEASE REPLY to this post ,giving your opinion on its fit,quality,etc...
mike
Old 09-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

I bought my hood and spoiler together, they were rite around $1000 shipped to my door.

Spoiler was perfect, kinda a bitch to fit rite, but it was perfect, just big and clumsy to put on.

the hood wasnt perfect but I was more than happy with it, my body shop got it on and lined up with no problems. It did need a little sanding of the primer, but I think a good body shop would do that anyway instead of trusting someone elses work.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:19 PM

All I got to say is that I would rather own a third gen then any honda or any other ***** crap. Little ******* with their "suped up" 4 bangers. That's bull ****!!!! RICERS **** ME OFF!!! BUY A REAL CAR DAMN IT!!!

Enough with that...

$450 for a hood is a lot but so far my cars got me for 25K+ and still going. I think by the time I'm actually done with my car I'll have like 35K invested in it. Then I'm going to start on an IROC which should run me another 15k. I don't eat much guys...too busy working on my cars (and I can't afford food anymore...)

I HATE RICERS!!!
Old 09-27-2002, 03:04 PM

and I can't afford food anymore...)
ramen noodles, the gearhead's delicacy
Old 09-27-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by king_monkey
All I got to say is that I would rather own a third gen then any honda or any other ***** crap. Little ******* with their "suped up" 4 bangers. That's bull ****!!!! RICERS **** ME OFF!!! BUY A REAL CAR DAMN IT!!!

Enough with that...

$450 for a hood is a lot but so far my cars got me for 25K+ and still going. I think by the time I'm actually done with my car I'll have like 35K invested in it. Then I'm going to start on an IROC which should run me another 15k. I don't eat much guys...too busy working on my cars (and I can't afford food anymore...)

I HATE RICERS!!!

You dont have 25 K in your car.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:33 PM

The **** I don't. I've saved up my pennies for 5 ****ing years. Every damn dime I made I put into savings. My car has been parked for three and I've been driving a ****ing Metro so I didn't have to spend so much for gas to put more in savings. It might not all be in the car but it's been ordered so **** you.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by king_monkey
The **** I don't. I've saved up my pennies for 5 ****ing years. Every damn dime I made I put into savings. My car has been parked for three and I've been driving a ****ing Metro so I didn't have to spend so much for gas to put more in savings. It might not all be in the car but it's been ordered so **** you.

I still call .srry

And BTW scauffiel Sweet ride. Looks badass like that...what color are you going to paint it?
Old 09-27-2002, 06:59 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird, flat black
Engine: Stock 305 LO3
Transmission: Five speed
Like me most of you have your cars paid for. A 450 hood might be alittle high, but you could always be paying 300 a month or so for a new car. As long as the parts are in good shape and the service is there and good, I would pay for the price. I dropped $500 on my car and felt good about it.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:06 PM

I have a buddy that got the GTA hood for his 89 Formula the fit was ok but make sure your body shop gets it aligned properly otherwise you get a gap in the front that you can fit your finger into. It took me almost two years of playing with my ASCD hood to get it to fit like a stock metal hood. That is just the nature of the beast with a glass hood. They are made to a mold so not every car that you put it on is just like the car that it is molded from. I think that the finish of the GTA hood is better than the ASCD hood but one is a Ram Air I and the other is a Ram Air II so it just depends which one you prefer. I deffinatly think that it is worth it to have them cut the intake holes and the heat extractor holes, cause if you ever try to make the Ram Air work you have to do it anyway. The only problem with the heat extractor holes is if it is cool out like it is now it fogs over your windshield when the motor gets warm and the windshield is cold. Just my .02
Attached Thumbnails anybody try that 98-02 style big bulge hood on thier ta from gta?your opinion please-drivers.jpg  
Old 09-27-2002, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 89transam
I still call .srry

And BTW scauffiel Sweet ride. Looks badass like that...what color are you going to paint it?
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment! She'll be getting pearl white with ghost flames.

Eventually.

S.

PS: Surprisingly enough, I've got over $20K in mine... Money flies when you're spending fun...
Old 09-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 89transam
You dont have 25 K in your car.
I'm in Scauffiel's boat, I do.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:33 PM

youve got thew prices wrong

I respect you guys have that much money wrapped up in your thirdgen.I plan to have 8k MAX in mine.

the prices from gta are as follows:
$550 for ram air 2 hood,unless you want the holes cut and screens to go in there,than its $650...the wraparound rear spoiler is $450...and if you want them you now have to wait 5-6 weeks before they get to your order.(thier site said they are backordered)
i love the look of the hood and spoiler,but i dont want to drop over $1000 on something(becides motor parts or somtehing) and have to wait 2 or 3 months lol .
And ricers **** me off so bad!!!!!! i think they are just mad because they cant put headerS on thier honda civic(notice i said headerS not header lol)
ive always used the cylinder rule.....if it doesent have a v-8 its not a real car,just a go-cart
laters.....other people that have bought gta's ram air 2 hood for thier firebird along with a wraparound spoiler post your comments/opions.thanks!!!!!!!!!!