Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Ok, so I need some paint answers....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so I need some paint answers....

I'm not ready for paint yet(for those of you who've been following my other threads), but I'm trying to gather supplies, and I need to know a few things about what to get regarding paint.

I've asked this question on other automotive boards, with less than helpful responses, most people just say ask the guy who sells it. I have a huge problem with this, a. I don't know their qualifications, b. I don't know they're not just trying to make money.

1. What kind of paint should I ask for?

I need something somewhat simple. I have a paint gun, it isn't great, but it's servicable. I need something that's going to do a good job, I don't want to half-*** it, but I also need something relatively simple to use, as I'm going to be doing this in my garage.

2. What do I need to know about hardeners?

Is there more than one type? How much do I need to mix with my paint?

3. What do I need to know about flex additives?

I'm going to be painting my front spoiler, and possibly my other ground effects. (haven't decided on this) I'll need a flex additive to keep it from cracking, right? Basically I have the same issues here as with hardeners.

4. Lastly, (ok these are all I can think of right now) is there any other ingredients I need to mix into the paint?

This one's self explanatory.

Thanks,

Mathius
Old 09-17-2002, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want something simple and relatively cheap, you could probably go with a one step enamel. This probably wouldn't be a good idea if you have metallic in the paint. If you have to wet sand, the metallic will not look even. if money isn't an object, you should go with a base coat, clear coat. i think these are usually urethane. If you read the paint can, it will tell what type and how much hardener to use. It will also tell how much reducer (thinner) to use. I would suggest going by what the paint can says. The guy at the paint shop will probably tell you how much of each to use, but they are not always right. You will absolutely need a flex additive on the bumpers, the guy at the paint shop told me I didn't need any and my paint is cracked all to pieces now. Just another example that those guys don't always know what they are talking about. Just be careful and read all the instruction on the cans. I'm not saying that the "pros" that sell the paint don't know what there talking about, but in my experience if you are ever in doubt, trust the manufacturers recommendations. It will exactly what you should mix.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I found out first hand that painting sucks!I painted mine with a single stage paint and black of course base coat/clear coat is so much easier to paint.With the single stage you had to make sure it was evenly painted everywhere.Wish ya luck!BTW i only spent $60.00 to paint mine( i never said i could paint,only that i would paint !)still haven't wet sanded or buffed it yet
Attached Thumbnails Ok, so I need some paint answers....-iroc-z.jpg