Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

any tips for instaling new weatherstriping??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any tips for instaling new weatherstriping??

In a few months im gonna have to order a new kit for my car..(TTOP EQUIPPED) Is this a relativly easy thing to do, or somethin i should have a professional do? Also Is there any little tricks to putting in on and getting a good seal? Thanks..

Brandon
Old 09-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine and it turned out great. The advice I can give you... make sure you do a pretty decent job of cleaning up the old weatherstripping (I mean cleaning the spot where it was glued). Use 3M's adhesive remover. It's a good cleaner, plus you can use it where you use too much glue while applying. It's easiest with a friend helping you.

Do a good job of keeping track of all your screws. There are places where the weatherstripping is screwed down on the doors. Most importantly, work in sections. Lay everything down first, to get a feel for how it will lay, and how you will have to fit the weatherstripping into the tracks, then do a section at a time. I started at a corner, did the middle across the t-bar, and then went down the sides. This seems to be a good starting point, as the weatherstripping fits snugly around the corner's where the t-top pins fit anyhow.

Get the 3M weatherstripping adhesive to do this job. One tube should be plenty. I used 2 to do my t-tops and my hatch, and I almost had enough to do it in 1 tube. Careful, this stuff is SUPER runny. Just put a little down, and the weatherstripping should help spread it some if you apply a little pressure. Again, I can't stress how important it is to do just a section at a time. This gives you time to ensure you've properly fit the weatherstripping into tracks before it starts to dry.

Mathius
Old 09-17-2002, 05:01 PM

Mathius: what weatherstriping kit did you purchase? How is it holding up?

thanks
Old 09-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

I got mine through a local dealer, but I believe he ordered it through Classic Industries. I was able to cut out shipping that way, and he competitively matched the next cheapest price, which I believe was either Hawks, or Third Gen Resources, I can't remember at the time. The catalog he had listed them at $150, but apparently the price has been jacked up since the catalog came out. It cost me $239 I think. It's holding up great. My hatch seal I got through 1A Auto on Ebay. It's also great. I can't get over how tight they feel when you first use them.

Mathius