Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

One piece fiberglass front ends without....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One piece fiberglass front ends without....

I am looking for a one piece fiberglass front end w/out the headlights that are non fuctional as part of it! This car I'm building should turn mid 9's and easily streetable, but to do this I need to shed some weight. All of the one piece front ends I have seen have the non fuctional headlight (just the top of the headlights) which are obviously not fuctional, and since this car will be on the street more than the track, I'd like headlights for those late night runs!

Jake
Old 09-11-2002, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
What do you have a bird or a camaro? Does the fiberglass have the smae lines as teh car? If the fiberglass simply replaces the hood fenders and frt bumper cover, you could always cut holes for the headlights. In a camaro the mounting points would still be there and in a bird you could convert to non pop ups like I did and just cut out holes for them to shine thru. I used Pilot driving lights. You would have to make a support base, since the whole headlight bucket would have to be taken out.

Last edited by redraif; 09-11-2002 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Since most glass front ends are for drag cars, the headlight area is unfinished, on every one I have ever seen. Cutting it out to accept a stock light wouldn't be too difficult for a Camaro...as Redraif said, I'd just go to a non-popup style on a Firebird to save the extra weight of the headlight motor. You wouldn't need to cut open the headlight door since access to the lights (for service) could be done from underneath, or with the front end off the car.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:13 PM

The car is an 85 Trans Am...and I was thinking about doing a conversion, but I was going to go ahead with the replacing the entire headlight cover with lexan and make a pod for lights, like RX-7 style lights. I don't really want pilot driving lights (no offense!) but I'd rather either have factory lights, or RX-7 style lights. Could I just cut out the unfinished headlight part and use the factory headlamps and motor assembly?

Jake

edit, just went and looked at your page Shannon, and those lights don't look too bad...that is a one piece front end on yours correct? who made it and how much?
Old 09-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
I'll answer for her since she may not be able to for a few hours...no, its not a one piece front end. Is there a bodyline molded where the popups would be? If so, make sure its in the right place and cut out the headlight door, and use your existing lights (or base the modified lights on that). Post some pics when you get them in!

I'm going to convert my TA (getting it soon) to non-popup, but more than likely with different lights (I like the Pilots, but I don't want my car to be a clone of my girlfriend's car, either). I have thought about going with round PIAA-type lights and going with 4th Gen style fog lights (round) in the bumper.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 383 Megasquirt
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 7.625
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/main.htm