Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

I got a few ideas, any comments/suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wouldnt mind having a third gen rx7 with a twin turbo dual rotary, but even then they only put out about 280 hp and 220 lbs of torque, ...they still look bad *** though, like amini viper or somthing. that car was way ahead of its time.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:59 AM

SlowMaro

Hey, apparently its not that dificult to put an small block chevy (Carbed, TBI, TPI) an LT1/LT4 or an LS1/LS06. (You onely need to fabricate-purchase some parts, and the engine should have small distributor)

They sell the K-Member made in steel, and other things necesary with a 3rd gen rx7 it would be a little bit expensive (couse the cost of the car) but you could also put those engines on 1st and 2nd gen ones. (1st gen are the lightest), and you could apparently obtain 50/50 weight dist, with a little tweaks, and the weight of the car would not increase very much with an all aluminium engine (LT1 to LS06 from a corvette-F-body).

I like more the older clasic lines of the 1st gen and the 240z.

But I would preffer a light 3rd gen camaro.

Also I dont understand the point of view of so many people here about the hp-torque (you dont have one without another) thing in that point of view, when what really matter is the power to weight ratio (I did not say hp or torque to weight I said power) and a way to convert it to movement (The all migthy tracktion)

Just tell me how much torque-hp would be needed to make a full weight 3rd gen to make the 1/4mile in 9.89sec@136mph? A lot dont? (and if you dont reinforce everythin, and improve tracktion power is nothing) Well aparently there is an stock bike that can make it with only 158hp, of course it only weight 218kg 480lbs (Without driver). (Drag apparently dont slow the bike aceleration significatively untill it reaches 100mph as it have a pretty low drag coeficient and even if the drag force increases square with the velocity with such a low drag the bike is cappable of reaching 189mph and very quickly)

Last edited by 92BlAcK_RSLO3; 11-19-2002 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:53 PM

Car: 92 RS 25th Anniversary
Engine: 350 L98 w/Vortec Heads
Transmission: 700 R4
I dont know why people are getting mad because me and other people are bad mouthing **** rockets. THIS IS A THIRD GENERATION SITE. NOBODY SHOULD BE POSTING HONDAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why I baged on them. Who cares if a honda handles a little better because they are a suicide box. All I know is that I have never lost to a honda and almost everything under my hood is stock so far!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LC9
Transmission: AR5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally posted by samdog1232000
THIS IS A THIRD GENERATION SITE. NOBODY SHOULD BE POSTING HONDAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like I said: "Would have it been OK if he posted a pic of a Caprice dashboard?" Since this is a THIRD GENERATION site, even talk of 4th gen cars isn't OK either? Or have you lost to one of those cars and it's OK to talk about them? Your tunnel vision confuses me.

Edit: You have a stock 305 TBI, and you've never lost to a Honda? Who are you racing? Grandma in her slushbox 4-door Accord?

Last edited by slow305; 11-20-2002 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:39 AM

better to post a caprice dash than a honda.Imports look, sound, and are stupid....period. I'm not posting anymore on this thread,no point in agueing w/ stupidity
Old 11-20-2002, 11:04 AM

I have raced at least 10 to 15 **** rockets. Some were fast and some were all show. Have the people that have a honda will lower it and put ridiculous rims on it, throw a muffler that sounds like a wet fart and think it is a race car. I am not saying my car is some high performance race machine but it still smokes imports. Most cars that I have raced were like the ones I mentioned above, I have raced a honda before that looked liked it had some money into it and I barely beat him to the next light. And dont say you dont know unless you actually tried it because I have. My friend Travis has a 96 civic with a bunch of **** rocket parts and I cant stand the car. Yeah I will say it can handle but If I wanted to drive a car that handled real good I would drive my Go-Kart.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by samdog1232000
Have the people that have a honda will lower it and put ridiculous rims on it, throw a muffler that sounds like a wet fart and think it is a race car.
See, the problem is that when people think of "imports," they think of the riceboy poseurs that slizzam their cars and pogo down the road off the bump stops and think they have Ferrari killers. Not all import or Honda owners are like that. I have several friends with 4-cyl imports who know exactly their cars' limitations. They also point and laugh at the riceboy poseurs with the big wingz and 17-second timeslips. I guess most of them are like me in that they have an appreciation for a fast car whether it be a GM, Ford, Honda or a Nissan. All go, no show!
Old 11-20-2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by panman79
Imports look, sound, and are stupid....period. I'm not posting anymore on this thread,no point in agueing w/ stupidity
Yup, no sense arguing with me because I'm REALLY stupid -- I race a Nissan! Not only that, I drive a Ford everyday!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by panman79
better to post a caprice dash than a honda.Imports look, sound, and are stupid....period. I'm not posting anymore on this thread,no point in aguing w/ stupidity
i agree..At least if it was a caprice dash it would still be GM...which by the way,made thirdgens...same with fourth gens....some parts swap,etc so of cousre its ok to talk about em,as long as itas not every other post.If you would take the time to notice...most non 3rd gen questions are in the non 3rd gen page. "hotrod"(hahahaha)hondas ar not freggin hotrods.Im sorry..... Im done as well . If the few unfortunate souls want to watch fast and the furoius over and over again in thier "not /r/i/c/e/" daewoo lanos with a power adding dvd player and neon lights then they can go on ahead...i know my cars wheels stay on the ground in a turn,parts are 1/4 the cost of inports,and we get much more respect because we drive real cars not grocery getter go-carts lol

Last edited by mikeage2; 11-20-2002 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by mikeage2
i know my cars wheels stay on the ground in a turn,parts are 1/4 the cost of inports,and we get much more respect because we drive real cars not grocery getter go-carts lol
Old 11-21-2002, 12:09 PM

Alright I want to put my last two cents in!!! I understand that if everybody drove a camaro the world would be a boring place but it seems that everybody is driving a honda and that is starting to get boring. Everybody on the road thinks they have a race car. There are times these punk kids will try to race me in there older buick family car. At that point I will either laugh at them or let them smell the burnt rubber on of my tires. Either way I dont hate people that drive hondas but I cant stand people that put a muffler on a honda and think there are Jeff Gordon!!! I just get anoyed when there is a post of a honda on a third gen site!!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:11 PM

Damm, I dont really understand wats the big deal about ricers, its like some of you feel that they are a threat.

They are not.

I just enjoy looking at how those kids expend their money on all those things that are a complete waste to me (Notice I say to me)

I never race on public roads, if someone try to race with me, I give then the thumb up a let then past, as those **********-r-s then to be pretty crazy making passes.

You know we dont have a real traffic enforcement police.

So the real speed limit would only limited by how crazy are you and the state of the driveway.

Once I was on a interstatal with a pretty long straighway and was doinf 100mph and a little toyota yaris (very very little car) was right behind me asking to pass! So My friends laught at me couse I let him pass (there was some heavy traffic on the sight so I would have to brake anyway) I was shure I could have acelerate and dont give him the chance to pass me, and I was shure my car could do more than 200kph (aprox 122) couse I did it a pair of miles before this straigh but there was no car on sight.

I do like to ****-off people tha can actually win me easyly, like with a Ferrari 355F1 (I wanted to hear that engine at high revs), an audi TT Turbo (I wanted to see how fast that thing acelerate), A porsche 911 (996 Bi-Turbo) he was scared he tought I was looking for throuble and parked and when I passed he toke another way (Maybe he tought I was after his car), A pair of WRX STI afther a toolbox (Just acelerating to see how faster those thing are, pretty fast by the way).

But those full of light cars? With those huge wings? What the point?

(Some of my friend that have drived my car like to humiliate them, I dont say anything either, once my frined exiting a toolbox acelerate besides a Dodge Neon with a huge wing and a fart can, He was only at 3/4 throttle and the neon was destroying the engine trying to catch us pretty lame he missed a shift and goodbay, just a good laught nothing more, is not like that made me fell like Im a big man and he is only a little girlye boy)
Old 11-21-2002, 11:35 PM

Car: 1987 F150...PAAARTY FOUL!
Engine: 300 I6 stump pullin sumbiscuit
Transmission: 4 speed grind box
Axle/Gears: 3.55 unlimited slip differential
i knew if i read long enough i'd see something to **** me off...

Now I'd love to see a Chevvy Small-block with that many miles start up in the morning.
MY 1989 K1500 Z71 HAS 240,000 MILES AND DOESNT EVEN USE OIL. IN 13 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP IT HAS NEVER LEFT ME ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. IF IT EVER BROKE DOWN IT ALWAYS (SAVE NONE) MADE IT HOME. IN ALL THAT TIME WHAT HAVE I HAD TO PUT ON IT YOU MAY ASK? WELL, HERE'S THE LIST:

1. basic tune-up items (plugs, wires, cap, oil changes, etc...)
2. starter (at 175k!)
3. alternator (at 200K!)
4. front halfshafts (at 201K!)
5. battery (at 150k)
6. custom exhaust
7. tires (33" at that)
8. custom wheels
9. gas
10. cant ya tell im pullin stuff outta my @$$?

my truck has been wonderful and has never let me down and has never left me stranded anywhere. it has ALWAYS started, and gets off roaded frequently.

MY 1987 FORMULA WS6 HAS 130K AND HAS BEEN JUST AS GOOD AND IT HAS HAD THE DOG **** BEAT OUTTA IT ITS WHOLE LIFE.

so if your gonna talk crap about the VERY MAKE THIS BOARD IS ALL ABOUT, do us all a favor and go away. i dont type comments like that too often but that just pi$$ed me off. there was no need for that and if i was a moderator i would ban your butt. i think you owe all of us an apology for that. not tryin to argue, and im sure your Neon is a good car but dont run your mouth about ours. and dont say you werent, because WHAT DO YOU THINK POWERS ALL F-BODIES ON THIS BOARD? be it a V6 or V8 IT IS STILL A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY OR SMALL BLOCK GM ENGINE except for a few BIG BLOCKS...

Josh
Old 11-22-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by EnVuS Midwest
I got 127,000 smooth miles on this car. Doesnt burn anyoil, nothing. <snip>
Now I'd love to see a Chevvy Small-block with that many miles start up in the morning.
Ooh, I missed this one, too.

My girlfriend's LT1 Camaro has around 240,000 miles and it still starts up every morning. Still doesn't burn oil. Still has never had the valve covers off nor much of anything else (3 clutch changes, 2 Auburns, 2 water pumps, I think the optispark crap and plugs were changed once). Probably has been on at least 500 autocross runs, too, so that should indicate how hard it's been driven.

Pat
Zero brand loyalty
Zero tolerance for ignorance
Old 11-22-2002, 06:47 PM

yeah thats what i said....lol dude thinks his neon is some super long lasting super car and a "hotrod" on top of that ....only good thing i can say about neons is the floorboards will never rust because all the oil blown on them from the heavily leaking head gaskets,oil pressure senders,and rear main seals...LOL all my small block equipped cars ive had over the years have never done me wrong... i still have my old 78 caprice 350 with over 300k on it....same with the 350 tranny....it outlasted the frame and body of the damn car...do that with a neon lol ill put my motor in a truck or something after re-ringing it and drive it another 150k.... :rockon:

i had to post this pic again this cracks me up
Attached Thumbnails I got a few ideas, any comments/suggestions?-rice-x-small.jpg  
Old 11-23-2002, 01:34 PM

I must of missed something!!!! Who said that they had a neon???
Old 11-23-2002, 10:12 PM

SAM, look mid-way through the first page..."envus"(new member) was arguing that his basa$$ neon with a ground effect kit and a megaphone exhaust tip /r/i/c/e/r/ was and i quote"still hot rodding" that just really set me off lol
Old 11-24-2002, 03:31 PM

I found it !!! Yeah that gave me a good laugh to. I wonder if it is a 4 door??? It is even funnier when people try to make a 4 door into what they think is a race car. Hey but if tickles there pickle and floats there boat I guess it is more power to them even though I hate the cars with a passion.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:54 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: Vortec 350 with mild cam
Transmission: 700r4 Mild build
Axle/Gears: Stock
Originally posted by EnVuS Midwest
well, to whoever complimented my car thanks.

Hello E-thug!! Mikeage3 said that neons have multiple problems with windows, headgaskets and everything else: not if you take care of it. I got 127,000 smooth miles on this car. Doesnt burn anyoil, nothing. You must be wearing a wife beater at the moment to be commenting like that. How many rust holes are in your daily driver?
Guess what!, my car has 176,000 miles on it, and it starts on the first try, every time. That and it is more than 10 years old, stock block TBI 305, with less than 800 dollars in it and it runs mid 13's. Every car is diffrent, every person is too. If your not carful, you might just loose. Im not saying that im the fastest, but before i sold my super charger, I was smoking new monte carlos, mustang cobras, mustang gts, i was murdering civics, neons, integras, del sols, eclipse gsx; you name it, i ran with the best. I was once behind a 4th gen and a viper racing off the line at a light. They took off and so did I, there was about 1 car lenght that i must of lost between thoose too and me. So basically, I can run with v-10's. Im not saying im all mighty, speed costs money, and speed will always catch up with you. Just watch what you say, there is always an exception. (BTW, I know this thread might be alittle old, but when i was you ripping on the sb chevy, i had to react) later
Old 01-08-2003, 02:19 PM

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Transmission: T5
Originally posted by LT1guy
2.2 Turbos can be pretty quick...a buddy of mine had a modified Omni GLH that ran 11s, and his daily driver...a 93 or so Spirit R/T 4 dr sedan...ran mid 13s with just a few bolt ons. Mostly just slightly higher boost.
so can a 5.7 turbo, what's your point? lol
Old 01-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Originally posted by dans82bird
so can a 5.7 turbo, what's your point? lol
I was replying to Speedcat86, who said:

"Ha, I remember that van, it's not on the spray, it's a 2.2l turbo running silly levels of boost (16 psi) and fitted with a giant intercooler off of a Ford Powerstroke Diesel. I'll look for the web page, but there's about half a dozen of these things out there that run in the 12's."

The point, for those of you who don't get it, is that believe it or not, there are other cars out there other than 3rd gen F-bodies
!!! Some of them may look like your typical FWD econobox crap, but many of them can be, and are, pretty fast. Yes, faster than the typical street driven F-body sometimes. I don't like them, FWD 4 bangers aren't for me even when they ARE fast, but your average modified 3rd gen (13-14 second car) will lose to a lot of them just the same. Hopefully, though, you don't need a turbo 5.7 to beat them...
Old 01-08-2003, 04:09 PM

I found it !!! Yeah that gave me a good laugh to. I wonder if it is a 4 door??? It is even funnier when people try to make a 4 door into what they think is a race car.
ever heard of a grand prix gtp????

the igorance of this board is killing me. Don't get me wrong, i'm not up for type R crap, or the huge wing on the trunk.....in fact i despise that. BUT 4 cyl. pull their weight well. So do 6 bangers. I guarantee if they put a 2.5 4 cyl in a thirdgen you guys wouldn't even have the ***** to put them down like you do. OK, in theory you guys can be right, the 4 cyl needs to hit higher RPM to make the power, and RPM is what kills metal. And 8 cyl's make that power at lower rpm's. But in real life it just doesn't seem to work like that. Hell, theres no replacement for the rumble and growl of a V8, but they can be very inneficient compared to the technological breakthroughs in smaller displacement engines. I say whatever floats your fricken boat...just don't sink everybody else's in the process.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:24 PM

QUOTE: "I guarantee if they put a 2.5 4 cyl in a thirdgen you guys wouldn't even have the ***** to put them down like you do. "
didnt the f-41 camaros have 4 bangers? i saw one once and it sure sounded like it
Old 01-08-2003, 05:30 PM

i'm pretty sure there were a select few f bodies that got 4 bangers. Not nearly enough to be considered widespread or anything though.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:41 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V-6
Transmission: Fresh 700R4
you think imports are good for reliability?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 55 chevy 2ton farm truck that worked it's *** off day in and day out for 48 years was retired last year for a resto job after sitting for a couple months we had the engine freshened with new gaskets, rings, belts, hoses and had the truck painted the body was partially bare metal and mostly faded paint and it didn't even rust here in missouri! now it looks good runs better than ever in my life and will go at least another 50 years when your car is 50 years old let me know r1ceboy!
Old 01-08-2003, 10:46 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V-6
Transmission: Fresh 700R4
as far as the v6 v8 fight my 94 blazer 4.3 5sp 2wd kicks every thirdgens *** i know of, 350 tpi and all no match for the low red blazer hell i'm thinking of putting that engine in my camaro couldn't hurt
Old 01-08-2003, 11:26 PM
Banned

Car: Trans am
i hate ricers, all these damn young kids think that the cars are so great because of all the flash and shine, if they had an idea of american muscle the wouldnt be driving **** bombs, and whats the big deal with kids putting on **** bombs on their cars they sound so gay , i have ricers, ricers come from the japs and they japs killed many american in ww2 so i have ricers and theur cars and everything to do with those 4 cylinder pieces of ****, goddammit i hate ****, **** **** **** **** .
Old 01-09-2003, 06:03 PM

you think imports are good for reliability?
well, badandy........just ONE i'd like you to look at my post and find the word import...........you won't find it, hell i'll even help ya look. i said 4 cylinders, and 6 cylinders, and advanced technology. Apparently, if you accociate advanced technology with imports, you must think alot of them as for nolan....that was the dumbest post i've ever read, perhaps you should think before you type, and maybe even run a spell check before posting
It's not how many cylinders you got, it's how you use 'em. I just like having 8 around thats all.

and bad andy.......this is thirdgen.org......my guess is you own a thirdgen just as i do....so let me point this out to you.
#1. In 50 years, my car will be just as bad as yours will
#2. NO ONE calls me a r*ce boy. It doesn't happen. I'm sure you're quite a few years older than me if you've had the same truck for 50 years. Well this rebellious kid is going to give you a word of advice that'll come in handy for the remaining half of your life or less....you've got two ears and one mouth...use them in proportion. If you do nothing but bitch about imports this 4 bangers that...you must not stop and listen. show enthusiasts with different tastes some respect.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is enough

Alright guys,

This thread has lived WAY past it's useful life. Lets try to keep posts 3rd gen related or they will be locked or deleted.

Consider this thread closed.

Last edited by 88txiroc; 01-11-2003 at 08:12 PM.