Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need advice on purchasing a new fender

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice on purchasing a new fender

Ok, I'm replacing my driver's side fender. I have a small ding in it that I think could be pulled out, but I also have what I can best describe as a "tear" in the front corner (I have pics if anyone's curious), that I'm not sure can be repaired and anyways, I don't have a clue how to weld, so the point is moot.

I've been researching (including the search function, so don't all jump on me yet!) fenders, trying to find a good deal on one and making sure I get the right part, and I've found that people who've tried fiberglass ones have found that they don't line up very well. Besides which I think it would be stupid to replace the driver's side in fiberglass and leave the other one steel and I have no need to replace the other one.

I've also found that 91-92 fenders are shaped slightly different from previous years, and I happen to have a 92 RS Camaro. Obviously that means Trans Am and Firebird fenders are out.

Has anyone had any problems with aftermarket fenders? GM wants over $100, Hawks and Third Gen Resources both want around $80 (I can't remember the exact offhand, but you can look above), for aftermarket new. I've found them as cheap as $47 new aftermarket.

My concern obviously, is for something this cheap, am I getting the right part, am I getting a quality part?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Here's just one place I found a cheap fender, any opinoins?

http://www.autodirectsave.com/PartSe...3AC3300BPAR%3A

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mathius
Old 09-03-2002, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got a passenger side aftermarket one and it fits good enough its not restoration quality but onece painted youll never know id go with aftermarket but heres a word to the wise when taking yourfenderoff dont break the groundeffects like i did.!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 06:59 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Camaro fenders never changed. 82-92 are all the same. Anyway, stay away from aftermarket fenders. They fit poorly. If you can't afford a stock one, go junk yard shopping.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:30 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WCT-5
Thats not true... 91 and 92 fenders are different. 91-92 ground effects connect differently then previous years. Instead of haveing 2 studs with bolts GM used what looks like a square loop with clips that go through the back to hold it on. You can use any fender just as long as you cut the slots into the fender. Or cut the loops off the ground effect. It is not hard to cut the slats just make a teplate sing the old fender and a cutting wheel on a highspeed die grinder...
Old 09-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
Originally posted by 91dubZ28
Thats not true... 91 and 92 fenders are different. 91-92 ground effects connect differently then previous years. Instead of haveing 2 studs with bolts GM used what looks like a square loop with clips that go through the back to hold it on. You can use any fender just as long as you cut the slots into the fender. Or cut the loops off the ground effect. It is not hard to cut the slats just make a teplate sing the old fender and a cutting wheel on a highspeed die grinder...
Coming from someone who just did the conversion, you hit the nail right on the head.

Anyways, just find yourself a clean GM fender, used or just get a new gm fender. There is a difference! If you end up going used, it is cool if you can see the fender on the car, that way you can see wether it is bowed or not. If not, then look at the lower bolt hole at the bottom of the fender, if it is all mangled up it is a safe bet the fender is bowed/warped. This happens from folks jacking the car up in the wrong spot, all the weight pushing on the fender distorts them.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

From what I've read, the spacing is different around the front bumper cover as well between 91-92 vs. previous years. Is that accurate?

Mathius
Old 09-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mathius
From what I've read, the spacing is different around the front bumper cover as well between 91-92 vs. previous years. Is that accurate?

Mathius
Nope, they are all the same. (the spacing anyways, there are specific 82-90 and 91&92 fenders) I say this from first hand experience, as my car has: (I completed this work along with a complete repaint about a month ago)

83' SC passenger fender (I had to slot & drill this for the gfx)
92' RS GM replacement fender
87' Z28 nose
91' Z28 front lower spoiler
82'-92' 2.5" cervini's cowl hood

Though you would never know it by looking at the car, but that's the idea. hope this helps!

Last edited by ES87iroc; 09-04-2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Here's the front...
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on purchasing a new fender-erikiroc10s.jpg  
Old 09-04-2002, 09:53 PM
TGO Supporter

It's still the same fender. It's just got a different hole punched in it. I don't think that GM offered a different fender for every style of ground effects available. That would have required 4 different fenders over the thirdgen run (that's just for the Camaro). The only fender I believe they offer is the plain fender and it's up to you to punch the holes for whatever ground effects your car has. I'll check to see what my aftermarket supplier offers if I get time, but I'm guessing that they only offer 1 part number.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
It's still the same fender. It's just got a different hole punched in it. I don't think that GM offered a different fender for every style of ground effects available. That would have required 4 different fenders over the thirdgen run (that's just for the Camaro). The only fender I believe they offer is the plain fender and it's up to you to punch the holes for whatever ground effects your car has. I'll check to see what my aftermarket supplier offers if I get time, but I'm guessing that they only offer 1 part number.
Actually, like I was saying, they do currently offer one set for 82-90, and one for the 91/92 cars. You can't really compare aftermarket stuff to OEM stuff, they are not even close. Here it is from the horse's mouth... (Good ol' GM collision guide)
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on purchasing a new fender-016a.gif  
Old 09-05-2002, 07:22 AM
TGO Supporter

Interresting. I didn't know that. Thanks for the pic.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:41 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WCT-5
ES87iroc your car looks great... How did that hood fit? Im getting my car painted next month and want to get a cowlhood I was thinking of harwood but they are a little pricey. How much and where did u get the cervinis hood. And yeah i have a front facia from an 88 iroc and a pass fender from a 86sport coupe they are all the same in shape. Here are some pictures to clear it up...

Old 09-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

ES87iroc your car looks great... How did that hood fit? Im getting my car painted next month and want to get a cowlhood I was thinking of harwood but they are a little pricey. How much and where did u get the cervinis hood. And yeah i have a front facia from an 88 iroc and a pass fender from a 86sport coupe they are all the same in shape. Here are some pictures to clear it up...

Thanks man! The hood was a little tricky, it had a little bit of trouble with the back passenger corner rubbing the fender. I went to max adjust on the hood, and it still rubbed. I adjusted the pass. fender and it was much better. I installed new fenders when I did the project and had the hood off, I think that was part of the problem. I actually got the cervini's hood used, I think I paid around $250. If you grab one new, on thier site they have them for $400 + shipping I think. www.cervinis.com IIRC. Yep, the SC fender will work fine, I have one on my car now. It was -really- hard to find a good set of fenders, most all of the ones that I came across were bowed. A little drilling, slots, stripped completely (it had a bad case of crow's feet) and it worked out great! Hope this helps....
Old 09-05-2002, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
Interresting. I didn't know that. Thanks for the pic.
N/P
Old 09-06-2002, 11:15 AM

hi,
i have a brand new,factory oem, fender,ill sell ya,55 plus shipping,i bought it for my 86 z28,i can take pics,im guessing you would have to slot the fender,let me know,
phil
Old 09-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Deadbird's got the rest of the collision manual from his website.. can't remember the address, though...
Old 09-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by PIMPINPHIL
hi,
i have a brand new,factory oem, fender,ill sell ya,55 plus shipping,i bought it for my 86 z28,i can take pics,im guessing you would have to slot the fender,let me know,
phil
Check your PM.

Mathius
Old 09-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by PIMPINPHIL
hi,
phil
Funny, does this look like the classifieds? Next time, just PM someone.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:01 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 5.7liter v8 (LT1 carb)
Transmission: th-350 rebuilt with a 2400-2800 stall
Not sure if this helps but I noticed you were from Ohio. I'm from Northern ky. If you close you should check out Mikes Auto in Hebron Ky. I got a brand new gm certified fender for my passager side for 62.00 plus tax. I got it in like 2 days.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Supreme Member

Actually I live about 2 blocks from Lake Erie. Normally I'd say I wouldn't mind taking the drive, but since my daily driver is a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger w/174,000 mi's on it, long drives are about as fun as banging my head against a wall in that thing.

I don't mind making the trip in my camaro, but the whole front end is in the process of being taken off. <shrug>

Mathius
Old 09-10-2002, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
We can get used F-body fenders all day long for $25-35 here in the yards...I'd go with a used one far before the repro stuff, or as a buddy who worked for an autobody sheetmetal supplier called it, OE, or "Oriental Equivalent" !!!
Old 09-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by LT1guy
We can get used F-body fenders all day long for $25-35 here in the yards...I'd go with a used one far before the repro stuff, or as a buddy who worked for an autobody sheetmetal supplier called it, OE, or "Oriental Equivalent" !!!
Are they really that bad? I just feel a little silly.... Hawks and Third Gen both want like $70+ for a used one, but you can get a brand new aftermarket for around $50.

I'm going to start making some calls tommorrow to the local yards. I don't usually go to a regular junk yard, I hit the two pick-a-parts I know of, and the one strips down the exterior panels, motors (they rebuild them), etc. stuff that might get ruined outside and could be worth something, and they don't have any right now.

The other one doesn't have a '91-92, which I'd prefer, but they might have a few earlier years I could use if nothing else represents itself. I just have to go back and look at what they've got. I know they have a few camaro's in there, I just didn't check for dings on fenders while I was there last.

Anyways, I'm going to check into pricing around here, but I'd like to hear a bit more on the aftermarket ones. What exactly is wrong with them, and when you say they don't quite fit right, where are their issues?

Mathius
Old 09-24-2002, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
They just don't give a trouble free fit like a GM part. Sometimes bolt holes may need to be enlarged slightly, body lines may be slightly off or not as crisp as the originals, lighter gauge metal in some cases...given the choice, I'd still pay $70 for a used one over $50 for a new aftermarket. I have used aftermarket panels before (not on an F-body), and some are better than others, but I wouldn't fool with them for a $20 savings.

We could have brought you fenders a few weeks ago for a third of that price, though...we were in Dayton for the TA Nats! Maybe we need to bring a trailerload of good sheetmetal next time...
Old 09-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I got one today. I'll be able to pick it up Monday. $40-50, the guy that prices them wasn't able to look at it. I didn't get up there 'til about a half hour before they close (had some difficulty locating it. The address I was given said Oberlin Rd. but they were on Oberlin-Elyria Rd.), but everything seems pretty good. It had just a small pin size dimple in it, that you couldn't even see, you could feel it as you ran your hand over. It may even just be a paint defect. There was a small bit of rust on it as well, but not enough that I couldn't sand it off. The car was propped up on tires or something, so it wasn't like it was sitting on the ground in the puddles.

I didn't get a good look at the car, but it was a 91 or 92, so everything will match up perfectly. The guy didn't know if they were going to be able to leave the gfx hanger on it or not, he had to talk to the guy in charge (they may be selling it with the gfx I guess), but I can just swap it off my dented fender.

Would it be better to paint the fender now, while it's off the car, or would it look too bad with the new paint against the old paint?

Mathius