Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hood popping

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood popping

Hey all, new guy here. A long-time friend's father just gave me an 89 GTA in need of restoration. It was running when his son parked it a few years ago so I think it will be OK with a good amount lovin'. I want to go get it from his house but last time I was there, the hood release cable wasn't...hood releasing. The handle would move a few inches but it felt like the cable wasn't attached. I had a sticky hood release on my Impala SS and generous dose of WD-40 cured it. How (in blazes) do I get this thing open from the bottom? Any tricks? I should probably take this as a sign that this car is going to be a "challenge". I'd like to get started while the (REALLY) warm weather is still here, so I'd appreciate any input.

Kevin
Old 08-18-2002, 08:57 AM

Car: '91 RS
Engine: 383
Transmission: Turbo 350
my hood release does the same thing.. it feels like no cable is attached (but is is). im assuming starting this thing is not an option (thats one way mine finally pops) but i usually tap the hood right at the front near the release area and it will pop.. hopefully it is just the same problem i have. Sometimes mine sticks so bad i have to actually put it into gear before it pops though. Good Luck!

oh yeah, lucky you, somebody gave you a car!!
Old 08-18-2002, 11:15 AM

Roxie, next time you have the hood open try grabbing hold of the spring hanging down from the hood and stretching it out a bit, with age these springs get weak and loos theyre shape. be carefull when doing this, the spring can and will come off of the hood and do wonders for you manicure (OUCH). you can hold the end that attaches to the hood with one hand and stretch it with the other. I need to do mine about every 3 months to keep it working right.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the help folks. This one of those "hit it with a hammer and if that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer"-fixes

Starting it is not an option until I get some new fluids, filters, hoses, etc. in there.

We'll see just how lucky I am once the bills start piling up. Thanks again - I'm sure you'll be hearing from me early and often with this project.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:33 PM
3gc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I used to put my hand up through the grill of my camaro and up to the latch, unlatch it and have someone pull the hood up or push it up with the other hand. I don't know if you could do it with a GTA though. Also there is a plastic thing that is probably in the way. I was able to pull it down, nothing should break. Once you finally do get it opened. Take out the latch and spray some degreaser on it and then grease it back up. Also I think you could get a new spring for the hood.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:12 AM

i usually push mine down pretty hard, then pull the handle, push the handle back in, and grab the under-edges of the hood and give it a healthy yank.pops right up, and works, until i get my ram air hood
Old 08-21-2002, 11:50 PM

Sounds kinda crude, but when mine did that I had to beat it on the front edge. After a little light pounding it would pop up. Then like someone else said shoot it with wd
Old 08-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
On the GTA to open it from the bottom you will have to take the air dam and the plastic between the bumper and airdam, and possibly the GFx to get to the hood release.

Mine does the thing where you pull it and the handle comes out but doesn't return to the orginal position. YOu then have to give it a hit with the side of your fist about 4=7 inches from the edge right on the center of the hood, it pops right up then.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:54 AM

have a friend pull the handle and hold it open while you pry up on the hood.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Jza

I usually just clean all the dirt and grease out of the latch and regrease it. Works the best and doesn't beat the hell out of your investment.

Try removing it and blasting it with brake cleaner. It's only two bolts. Dry with compressed air. Pack with thick grease similar to how you'd pack a bearing. I've only had to do this once to each of my cars and I usually end up doing all my thirdgen friends' cars, too.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L V-6
Transmission: T-5
Originally posted by 86IROCZ
have a friend pull the handle and hold it open while you pry up on the hood.
Same thing I had to do, but I also had to beat my hood as well. If I was by myself I took a short bungee cord, hooked one end to the hood release, the other end to the door handle, and opened my door. It pulled and held the hood release handle just enuf so I could get it open myself.Put some grease or WD-40 on there, should fix her right up . It will be one of the easier fixes prolly. Have fun :lala: :lala: