Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

need t-top headliner, where did you get yours?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need t-top headliner, where did you get yours?

hello, i'm looking to buy a t-top headliner (with abs plastic, my cardboard is shot). i found 1aautomotive on ebay....145+30shipping=175. tops on line is 139+34 shipping=173. everybody tell me where you got your and if they beat the price...also let me know about the quality and service. thanks, tom
Old 08-17-2002, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 iroc-z custom
Engine: 355 tuned port
Transmission: 5spd baby, only way to go
Axle/Gears: 3.45
make your own..cheaper in the long run and short run for that matter...and if it doesnt come out the way you want it to..go to a detailing shop(that does interior work) and get them to do it...youll be pleased with their work as long as you go to the right one

iroc2nv
Old 08-18-2002, 02:16 PM

i've been to a couple detail/interior shops. they told me i needed a new headliner board (old one just falls to pieces looking at it). any help would be great. thanks, tom
Old 08-18-2002, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Ebay has them quite often for about $150
Old 08-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 astro
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 3.42 gears
i know mark's custom kits makes a fiberglass headliner that you can then cover with your own material, or finish in any color you want on your own.

he sells it for ~ $125 or so, plus shipping.

that's what i'm planning on doing for my camaro when i do my interior, as i think the fiberglass will last a little longer than the cardboard backing.

mine simply disintegrated when i removed it to reupholster it.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:38 AM

I bought the ABS plastic headliner (uncovered) from Classic Industries and went to a local fabric shop and asked for the foam-backed fabric. They also happened to have the 3M adhesive for headliner use. You would be surprised how easy it is to install the fabric. One mistake I did is not install the clips that were installed on the original headliner- I discovered this after successfully completing the installation. These clips attached to the front of the T-Top headliner. Make sure you install all clips that came with the original before installing the fabric. Next, wipe the plastic clean with a paint thinner/degreaser. Roll the foam-backed fabric with the foam exposed, so you can unroll as you cover the plastic with headliner adhesive. By rolling the fabric, you have better control of removing wrinkles. Starting from the very front of the plastic, spray the 3M adhesive in sections and then unroll the fabric. On curved surfaces, you may have to smooth the fabric onto the surface until the adhesive dries well enough to hold. Mine was the T-Top version, so it requires a little more work, but not so difficult. I sprayed the plastic in 3 sections (front, middle, back). After covering the entire surface and making sure the fabric is layed out smoothly, flip the headliner over. The next step is cutting out the excess, but making sure there is ample fabric to wrap over the headliner edges - at least 2". After cutting out the excess, work section by section at a time making sure there is ample fabric to wrap over. On curved surfaces, you might have to cut the fabric perpendicular to the tangent to allow it to fold over and avoid overstretching the material. Also make sure you apply ample adhesive to all the edges to keep the fabric intact. Once you complete this, cut the fabric over the holes in triangular sections and fold over using the adhesive to hold. Since T-Top's are known to leak, it is advised to install foam on the uncovered back section to allow absorption of traces of leaks. Once you complete this successfully, you will never ever take your car to have the headliner replaced. Good luck.