Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th Gen seat question???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 11:02 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Z
Engine: 355 in the works
Transmission: 700R4
4th Gen seat question???

Ok guys, I got a couple questions about them. First off, I have the power driver seat in my '87 Z28. If I get another power 4th gen seat, does it connect the exact same way, like does it use the same connector? Or is there some modifying that needs to be done? And what if I get a non power seat, is there anything I need to do? Or do I just unplug my old one, put the non power one in, and that's it? Is there anything I will need to do for 4th gen seats, or is it really just as simple as taking the old ones out and bolting the new ones in? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
They bolt straight in. For the power hook up the controls are on the side of the seat on the 4th gen, all you have to do is hook up a positive batt connection to it, and ground the seat well. since you already have the power ran all you will need to do is splice the power wires togeter, use some bulet plugs so you can undo the connection if needed. As for the harness fitting, the only people I've talked to that have done is power in a manual car so I don't know. But if it does fit check if the wires are correct before doing it. It should be a simple 1hr job including cleaning up the carpet and seats. If I was you I would get the car side connector from the doner car.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:22 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

I'm a little confused, what do you mean the harness fitting? Do you mean like the brackets or something? And what do you mean "the car side connector from the doner car"? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:36 PM

Double check on the fit for the power seat on the passenger side first. I seem to remember something about the passenger side being a bit farther ahead & slightly higher than the drivers side so just using a seat from the drivers side likely won't work because the brackets are different(I think anyways).
Old 08-04-2002, 11:59 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

I don't plan on putting a power seat in the passenger side, I'm leaving it manual. I'm just trying to figure out if how I'm gonna do the drivers side.... I'm not sure if the guy that is gonna hook me up is gonna get a powered drivers seat or not...
Old 08-05-2002, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

on the car that you are getting the seats out of, The (power) connector that the seat plugs into, instead of unpluging the connectior and leaving the car side of the connector cut it off the donor car and use it in you hook up(cut between car and connector not between seat and connector). This way if you ever need to take them out to clean or whatever you can just unplug the wire. sorry didn't mean to confuse you, if it still is just ignore it you don't need to do it, just a good idea.

The tracks of the seats bolt right in the only thing that you will need to do custom is the power hook up.

But the seat just needs a hot wire and ground, easy to hook up. Because in a car w/o power seats all you have to do is run a power wire, you already have this done all you have to do is tap into it.

It will mount straight into your car no mods necissary, just hook up the power.

If you use manual put your old wires under the carpet and leave them unpluged. but they will mount to your car without any problem.

The bolt positions are in the correct places. I will be doing it as soon as I find a good set around here. I test fitted a friends seats in my car out of a 2k trans am it looked sweat, too bad he was drying and cleaning his carpet after getting caught with the top down, or I would of kept them LOL.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:21 AM
Hg
Supreme Member

LOL, how'd he get caught with the top down? I didn't understand what you meant when you said "car side", I get what you were sayin now... thanks. Hopefully he can hook me up with some of those black and red camaro cloth seats. I don't see many of those, only on the net and stuff... are they rare or something?
Old 08-05-2002, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

He was on the inside lane on a 8 lane highway and it started to pour down rain, his car was soaked by the time he got pulled over to put the T-tops back on. He just dryed out the car and put the carpet and seats back in, I just test fited his seats in my car while he was drying out his carpet. The seats didn't get very wet because he had covers on them. He put everything back in the car after was dry or I would of bought the leather seats from him, drk md grey with electric adjust and adjustable lumbar.

I've got a frind of a friend that just totaled a 98, when he gets the car back from the insurance Im going to buy his seats. He had 11k in the engine so he wanted the car back to put the engine in the other 98 he just bought, must be nice :-)