Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

what to look for when buying a vert?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to look for when buying a vert?

Was there a convertible Z28 in 84?
When looking at a vert what are my main concerns, I know my way around a car just not a ragtop.
Looking to pick one up this weekend.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-31-2002, 03:06 PM

Cracks in the dash from over-flexing.
The top is tight.
Top fits snug at the edges.
Sunburned rear window.
Durable (not loose) latches over front window.
Power hatch release works.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Don't worry too much if the top needs to be replaced or just the rear window. Both are readily available. Figure $700-$1000 for a top installed and about $120 for a rear window only to be sewn in. Weather seals are also available. The most important things to look for IMO are 1) rust, 2) the condition and completeness of the top frame assembly and 3) the condition and completeness of the interior trim pieces. Any convertible made before 1987 was not a "factory authorized" conversion. Though many of the parts on the conversions done by ASC or Choo Choo Customs are interchangeable with the later factory authorized cars. This doesn't mean that they are readily available though. There is no aftermarket source for these parts (with a VERY few exceptions). Minor things such as a few cracks in the interior plastic trim pieces can be repaired fairly easily. But replacing missing pieces is a real challenge to put it mildly. Also factor in that there were 3 different designs for the top and many of the interior trim pieces through the 87-92 factory convertible conversion run. The main source for these parts will be another convertible that is being parted out. So if you get a '89 and come across a ‘92 that is being parted out you may find the parts are different. Some parts can be made by modifying coupe pieces. However most of the convertible exclusive parts are discontinued. I highly recommend installing Alston or Kenny Browne SFC's. It will go a long way towards tightening up the suspension. I recommend staying away from the convertible conversions done by the roughly half dozen or so other customizers. These include: Autodyne Corporation of Lincoln Park MI, Coach Builders Limited in High Springs FL, American Custom Coachworks of Beverly Hills CA, Hi-Line Kustoms, Inc. in Valley City, ND, Duquet-Sawdy Inc. in Warren, MI, Auto Form Corp. of Elkhart, IN (this is the two seater conversion with a huge fiberglass decklid that covered the convertible top and the former rear seat area), John Greenwood of Longwood, FL, Richard Straman, of Costa Mesa, CA. If you thought finding spare parts for the “factory authorized” convertibles was hard. I pity you if you purchase one of these and need spare parts.

Good luck, Lon.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:46 PM

Oh, so I might not be getting one just yet, The one I was suppossed to look at is an 84 so that pretty much puts it in the custom category.
I'm still going to look at it if they still have it this weekend and see, if all the top parts are in good shape I might still do it. I kind of got my heart set on a vert now.
If only I could find a nice newer one in my price range..lol

Thanks for the help guys.
Jeff
Old 08-01-2002, 04:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
To go on what lon said, make sure that all the locking equipment on the tonneau cover is there. If theyre not, like mine, you will have a heck of a time trying to find them... It's not a problem you can throw money at, trust me I have tried. Even calling all the way to germany after seeing an ad in hemmings!!!

I could tell you some major horror stories like not having a back window or locking pieces to keep the top down and being so cold while driving back from arizona in december in the middle of the night that I used a nintendo power cord (the things we find in our trunks) to try to keep the top down. It broke fifteen minutes later... (after wrapping it ten times!) and doing eighty with no window and it not locked down, it let the back flop up and down very loud and hard. Not fun, had to pull over, eventually put the top down in 40 degree weather and tough it out. Just ONE horror story after not knowing about the bliss of trying to find parts that are missing on a thirdgen convertible camaro

Hey lon that reminds me... You sent me an email, but I can't find it anywhere I think you mentioned someone parting out an 89? Well, I have the "half year" 88 (Where the parts were only made for 6 months before making the 89-92 change) would the parts interchange? And is he still parting it out? I need either a new tonneau or all of the locking pieces? You plan on making any frame work pieces? I am sure there is a HUGE market for it.

James
Old 08-01-2002, 08:08 AM

James, Save the link I've attached. The contact is House of Camaro. He is parting out two convertibles. Yes the tonneau and locking mechanism pieces will work. Yes the convertibles still had them when I last paid him a visit roughly 7 weeks ago.

Good luck, Lon.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/g...ro/index2.html
Old 08-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

:(

Called them up... They no longer have the locking mechanisms Needless to say I am bummed. Thanks lon I appreciate the link. I may go up there to see what he has as far as interior pieces later this week.

James
Old 08-01-2002, 02:08 PM

What parts specifcally do you need? You should also try the dealer. For example, the latch that the pin from the #5 bow latches to is still available: p/n 12395919, $87.78 from Gmpartsdirect.com. When I get a chance I'll scan that page and e-mail it to you.

12331733, Striker RH (the J-hook that latches to hold down the tonneau)
12331734, Striker, LH
14105152, Lever, fldg top stow comp lid
14092744, latch, RH (the J-hook latches into it)
14092743, latch, LH

Lon
Old 08-01-2002, 03:32 PM

Car: 88 IROC convertible, 88 Sport Convertible---both RED
Engine: 350 TPI in the IROC, 305 TBI in the Sport
Transmission: 700R4 in both
go to http://www.deadbird.org/pncam/index.htm deadbird has scanned in and posted a ton of pages for parts. I found the part number for the release solenoid, used his quick link to gmpartsdirect.com and ordered it....saved $40 over a local Chevy dealer...been unable to find in a junk yard for a month or two so got tired of waiting and ordered.

He has 3 sections that start with VERT-

Look under Vert-Caps and Cover

Say lon am unable to click on your URL and get to your site..... just an FYI

Last edited by justadba; 08-01-2002 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys,

I am looking through the parts right now, unfortuantely gmpartsdirect.com is down for updates. My problem is I do not know exactly what is missing since I never had any of the parts to begin with lol

Right now to get the top down I need to put the back seat down, and pull the cords back on both sides to pop the hatch up. Since it is supposed to be an automated process I would like to get it back to that way. I have a special u joint that I put on there to hold the top down. PITA to put the top up or down.

James
Old 08-01-2002, 05:03 PM

Car: 88 IROC convertible, 88 Sport Convertible---both RED
Engine: 350 TPI in the IROC, 305 TBI in the Sport
Transmission: 700R4 in both
jstcrzy, when i bought mine, i also had the issue of the tonneau not popping up when I hit the switch.

You should have a switch on your console between the power window switches (if so equipped) that is either solid black or has a little U shape on it if you are lucky enough to still have the paint there.

when you hit that switch with the car in park (maybe neutral - not sure) and with the trunk lid closed, your tonneau will pop up.

mine was missing one of the release solenoids (on the drivers side real PITA), so I too had to flip the rear seat down and pull the cable on the drivers side while flipping the release switch. There should be a red wire behind your sail panel with a plastic connector. Use a voltmeter and check and see if 12V appears when you depress the switch. the part nuimber for the solenoid is 14092646 called actr f/tp cost me 71.10 at gmpartsdirect SAME part number both sides.....

the release solenoid also includes the cable assembly to attach to the lock....easy install....and a hell of a lot more convenient....takes 2 screws that attach it to a horizontal "platform " behind the sail panel.

HTH

PS..son took the car to work or i'd attach a pic....will try to attach one tomorrow.....

Last edited by justadba; 08-01-2002 at 05:05 PM.