Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How do u switch from a Cable drive to an Electronic cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do u switch from a Cable drive to an Electronic cluster?

Well I decided I want to change my 89 Camaro to a 91-92 dash and speedo. THe main reason is because the plastic dashes in 83-89 are constructed poorly and crack VERY easily. I know 82-89 are cable drive so what parts do I need to switch to a electric 91-92 speedo? HOw hard would it be to change to the new electric speedo?

I have searched and found no specific directions of how to do it and what I need...

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2002, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: www.hrfbody.com
Engine: www.hrfbody.com
Dashes are nice, mine is fine, dunno why yours is cracking. Anyhow I am not totally sure on this bill, I have a 92 RS I am going to be using as my donor car. Its a dead car my friends are letting me swap parts out of.

What I do know is that we have to hook the speedo up to the VSS, now if you have an 89 RS like i used to you've probably got the LO3 right? you have a VSS its just used by the ECM.

So you are in luck, All I know is that we will both have to do some re-wiring and some of our own wire harness making.

If I can I am going to attempt this within the next few weeks on a weekend, and I will post pics and tell ya everything.

First thing I'm gonna do is rip apart that RS and study the wiring closly.

Lucky for me electronics is a speciality...

I shall keep ya posted.