Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Best glue for cardboard like (headliner) material?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best glue for cardboard like (headliner) material?

I just removed my headliner. Thanks to whoever it was that pointed me to Thirdgen Resources tech article!

I have a slight problem. The area at the seatbelt slit, has broken off. It is stall in place, held by the foam of the headliner, I think. It is sort of hard for me to determine the exact separation of the headliner base material and the thick stuff between the headliner fabric. Is there supposed to be a thick matting on top of the base headlioner cardbaord, and then the headliner fabric glues on that?

Anyway, back to my main question: what would be the best glue, or method to reattach the cardboard base material that has broken off?

I don't want to pull off the headliner fabric until I have repaired this area.

Thanks to all who have helped with this headliner problem!
Old 07-20-2002, 01:18 PM

OK, just did a search and found lots of info. Sounds like fiberglass is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:40 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I like making a backer of thin gage aluminum and epoxying it in place. I drill or punch (with my hand punch) a few holes in the aluminum so the epoxy has extra areas to bite into the mat'l. If it is plastic I am repairing I scuff it with sandpaper first.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the tip Lon. Since I have some compound curves in the area I will just try the fiberglass cloth and resin.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:16 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I forgot to recommend the glue. 3M makes a few that would work. I use their Super 77 for a lot of things, but they also have one with a stronger bond called "Spray 90". Both are available at Home Depot. See the link: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....jectGroup_ID=2

I see they also have a new product called "Fastbond Insulation adhesive 49" that I haven't tried yet.

http://www.3m.com/US/mfg_industrial/...dhesives.jhtml

Just be aware that trying to attach old foam-backed headliner material is a lost cause. The foam backing disintegrates from heat and age. You are left with a real mess because the cloth separates from the now disintegrated foam. I had the headliner fall down on Debra's VOLVO and they had to replace it with new. Lon
Old 07-25-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just bought some SWEEET a$$ material for my headliner, woooohooo i can't wait to post a pic. it'll be sweet. silver kinda shiny, with a flamejob like IN the cloth. you'll see, it's really cool, i'm doing my visors in it too! well, off to get ready for a job interview, need to find something i haven't gotten covered in grease to wear(improv mechanics, lol) good luck all
Old 07-25-2002, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
My headliner was the exact same way when I replaced it, both corners where the seat belts go in were broken off. I just used on layer of fiberglass to re-attach the pieces. It works very well, just make sure you somehow prop the pieces in place together while the resin is drying, so the thing is the correct shape. Also, if you are putting new foam headliner material on, I would reccomend using 3M adhesive spray. Thats what I used about 3 years ago, and my headliner still looks brand new, not sagging anywhere.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:19 PM

OK, I have 2 yds of new headliner fabric from Jo Ann fabrics store.

I am going to get 3M Headliner Spray Adhesive.

I have a fiberglass repair kit. I'm all set.

But 1st.......... I am going to replace all my weatherstriping. I have a complete kit of Metro roof; door; and hatch mouldings.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
Oh I forgot one thing, when using the spray adhesive to glue the foam headliner material to the backing, spray both the backside of the headliner material, and the backing piece.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Tom, I've repaired a few broken headliner boards and I have a process that I prefer over fiberglass. It sounds crude but I think it's more effective because it remains semi flexible. I use the 3M adhesive that you can buy in Wal Mart. It's got a picture of some hippie laying the **** carpet down on the inside of his kidnapper van. Anyway... I use some burlap from Jo Ann fabric, and cut it into strips about 3" wide by 6 or 8" long. I spray the broken area that I want to repair, then spray the holy snot out of the burlap strip until it's pretty well soaked. Give it a couple minutes to tack up, then lay it in place. Do this on both sides of the broken area to make a "sandwich". It's strong, still flexible, and is totally hidden by the headliner material after.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the tip Jim. However, I already did the headliner

I did fiberglass cloth and resin in a couple spots that had cracked. Thought I had it dicked, then as I was flopping the headboard around I ended up creating a couple more new cracks. It is just very fragile at 14 years I guess. Anyway, I just went ahead and did what I found on a headbard repair site I found: just used duct tape over the crack till the headliner cloth was in place.

That said, the headliner is back in the car. It turned out OK. Well, considering I hate upholstery work, and it was my first time ever doing one it turned out OK. Not really up to my standards, if I had paid a pro to do it I would have them be doing it over right now. But maybe it is not really my lack of doing a good job, more like the headboard material is just not a perfect foundation after 1st removing it from the car, some bits break off. Then pulling off the old fabric, a few more chunks get pulled out. Then finally scraping off the old dead foam with a wire brush damages the surface slightly even more. So when I had finished putting the new fabric on, it looks OK. It even looks pretty good. But not perfect. I want perfect. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice the flaws. But I do.

I would like to be able to buy a brand new OEM headboard to recover. That would be the best alternative. Oh well, let me know what you think:

Old 07-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Looks good Tom!

Darrell
Old 07-28-2002, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird, 2000 GTP
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" posi, 4.11
I have done 2 headliners already. One for myself and one for a friend. I prefer to use contact adhesive that can be found at a home repair store, such as Home Depot or Menards. It's about $6-9 pre quart and you will need 2 of them. You basicly use it the same as the spray, but it seems to have a lot more base to it, and you get a lot more for your money. I was going to use the spray, but it was $15 for 1 can. I probably bought it at the wrong place though.

Anyway, as for slicks n chicks guy... I helped a friend with a headliner with flames and the Bowtie in it. It doesn't look too bad. The bowtie is pretty cool though.

Let me know what you think. Between this and the one with the Firebird emblem in my car, I am thinking of doing this for side work or something. But most likely not.
Attached Thumbnails Best glue for cardboard like (headliner) material?-kyleliner1.jpg  
Old 07-28-2002, 09:46 AM

TZF: you do awesome and creative work! You really had me thinking about it, when I was doing mine but I decided to leave mine stock. I like the concept alot, and can see lots of potential for future custom projects. I think you should keep at it!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:29 AM

Hi guys great thread. I took the IROC for a ride today. I had the windows down and had to step on it alittle. About 75 MPH I looked in the rear view mirror for the boys and saw my headliner flapping in the breeze. I just wanted to say I am going to try what I read here. I was planing on getting a new headliner but not now. Thanks again.:hail:
Old 07-29-2002, 11:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
It looks pretty good Tom. My first attempt in my SC came out poorly, so I bought another headliner for $10 in the junk yard. My 2nd attempt came out perfect... so then I tried my luck on the IROC. The IROC has t-tops, and let's just say that's a WHOLE new ballgame. I'm now in the market for a spare t-top headliner.