Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Aren't we nearly as bad as the riceboys?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Aren't we nearly as bad as the riceboys?

I was looking at my car today and I realized that it (91 Formula) has:

(1) A spoiler that is useless for anything but looks (if you call cracked urethane good-looking)

(2) A sham Formula cowl hood with a factory block-off plate (I intend to make it functional eventually, but I don't really expect it will make much difference, besides maybe water leaking in).

(3) T-Tops, which, despite their high coolness factor, leak and make noise and certainly detract from the structural stability of the car.

(4) Ridiculously oversized dash & guages (does the guy tailgating me really need a clear view of my speedo and tach?).

(5) Huge stickers on the sides that say "FORMULA" (which I dig) and a few firechicken stickers.

and, last but not least,

(6) Two big fatty tail pipes sticking out of a single muffler just to give the illusion (only confusing people who don't know enough to care, I guess) of a dual exhaust.

Sooooooooo, why is this sort of stuff so different from the milder "rice" always being ripped on here? Most of us have at least some of this non-functional/non-performance dress-up sillyness on our "pure" American muscle car 'birds and 'maros, so why do so many people keep giving others **** when they talk about "*****" mods?
Old 07-16-2002, 01:40 AM

because on our cars, if it aint functional, it at least gives a pleasing look to the car. and the things that are functional, acually help. the spoiler may not do anything, but could you imagine what it would look like without one? dual outlet muffler, or would you rather have a single pipe? unlike the ricers that have that little pipe with a bunch of reducers clamped on so they can put on a fart pipe that will tip the car over. oversize guages, you can read out of the corner of your eye, withough taking your attention off of your driving. and would you rather have it say "formula" or have a picture of a retarded elephant? (or whatever the latest craze)
Old 07-16-2002, 02:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
People dont like what they dont understand. Simple as that.

Old 07-16-2002, 02:44 AM

Re: Aren't we nearly as bad as the riceboys?

Originally posted by Joel Geerling
I was looking at my car today and I realized that it (91 Formula) has:

(1) A spoiler that is useless for anything but looks (if you call cracked urethane good-looking)

(2) A sham Formula cowl hood with a factory block-off plate (I intend to make it functional eventually, but I don't really expect it will make much difference, besides maybe water leaking in).

(3) T-Tops, which, despite their high coolness factor, leak and make noise and certainly detract from the structural stability of the car.

(4) Ridiculously oversized dash & guages (does the guy tailgating me really need a clear view of my speedo and tach?).

(5) Huge stickers on the sides that say "FORMULA" (which I dig) and a few firechicken stickers.

and, last but not least,

(6) Two big fatty tail pipes sticking out of a single muffler just to give the illusion (only confusing people who don't know enough to care, I guess) of a dual exhaust.

Sooooooooo, why is this sort of stuff so different from the milder "rice" always being ripped on here? Most of us have at least some of this non-functional/non-performance dress-up sillyness on our "pure" American muscle car 'birds and 'maros, so why do so many people keep giving others **** when they talk about "*****" mods?
I always considered things rice if they were done in excess. The main people that we give **** to are the 4 bangers. I mean honstly, how is that performance? I will never respect a 4 banger. I might say its a nice car *if it was done correctly* but i will never respect it..that being said i'll just help u understand some stuff.

1 the spoiler is functional, the weight alone helps keep the car planted on the rear end....for it to be functional like your probably thinking with downforce, well that just won't happen, but again, your spoiler isn't 6 inches off of the rear deck of your car, 6 is mild...3 is style.

2 the hood, you can't help what came stock, but you drill some holes and it instantly lets cool air enter the engine bay. also, earlier years they were functional, and gm had two reasons for giving the hoods, A. the people wanted it B. they had some left over from production.

3 OK, this one i dont really understand how it is "rice". I mean they are certainly funtional for what they were intended for. And if your classifying t tops here, y not convertables too. I mean those cars are even worse for flex.

4 Dash guages, well, i dont think you will find a car out there without large guages, simply easier to see when driving so that less concentration has to be made to see what speed you are at, and you can concentrate more on the car infront of you that just stopped!! ahhh that was close.

5 EVERY car has a model, and EVERY manufacturer wants that model to be known to the public...this is one way to advertise, and BE PAID FOR IT *from the cost of the car* the Phoenix bird decals are the symbol of the car, y not be proud of your heritage and the formula sticker, well the 80's were big and bold, kinda like the 70's *when the big stickers on the sides of cars really appeared telling us one was a Z28 or FORMULA and such* so they just used big and bold to the extreme.

6 not all the cars had dual exit exhaust, some only had the single pipe, most had two, y? prob because the mustang *our rival* had real dual exhaust, and to compete you must give the people what they want.

I hope this helped you see why this is not really rice. just so you know, i'm not flaming you. In the end its all good, functional or not style is style and rice will be all style and NO fucntion, but we are more on function than style.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: LG4 modified
Transmission: 700R4
IMHO, the only time we third genners can be compared to the ricers is when the flame wars start. Ok, so a little competition between 3rd gen and rice is healthy, much like over here in the UK. We have a substantial following for American cars. Classic, sports, muscle, it's really thriving at the moment. Our main rival (what you guys might call UK rice) are the boy-racers. For an example, check out www.maxpower.co.uk and laugh.

But when a thirdgenner mocks another thirdgenner for his taste, or his opinions, that's when we are as bad as the rice.

Just my .02

Si
Old 07-16-2002, 04:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Corvette Coupe
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/4L60 same trans different name
this topic=