Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

1986 sports coupe to a 1991 RS questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 sports coupe to a 1991 RS questions

hey guys, i am taking my 1986 sports coupe and putting the 91 rs ground effects on it. I just went to the junkyard today and noticed the side of rs/iroc has a bar welded under it for the gfx to bold onto, do i need to get that put on my car?
Old 07-11-2002, 02:07 PM

You'll have to have the bar to bolt the G-fx to... Or else what will you attach it to?

I guess there's probably some way around it... But as far as I know, it's not been discovered yet...
Old 07-11-2002, 05:37 PM

yea

yea i noticed that bar, it was welded on wasnt it??? hmmm, what am i gonna do about that? dont suppose i can bolt it on do you?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:45 PM

Here's what you have to do!

Ok, it looks like a full weld, but it's only spot welded. All you have to do, is take a drill and drill straight through the little spots. You can see where they are, theres probably about 10 of them on each one. once you drilled through them , you'll have to pry the peice off with a flat head screwdriver, that simple. may seem hard but it's really not. I've done it already so trust me, it will work. ( Don't Worry if it bends alittle while taking it off, you can staighten out when you take if off )

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2002, 11:24 AM

Re: yea

Originally posted by khellendros
yea i noticed that bar, it was welded on wasnt it??? hmmm, what am i gonna do about that? dont suppose i can bolt it on do you?

I'm pretty sure if you think about that one you'll figure it out...

To bolt on the G-FX you need the bar welded onto the bottom of the car... If you attempt to bolt that bar to the car... You'll end up putting a bunch of holes in your car for it

I'm not sure if it'll work... I doubt it will, cause you'll end up with a gap inbetween the G-FX and the support bar, where the heads you screwed in, so I'm pretty sure it won't work...

I doubt anybody's tried it. It would probably ccause a bunch o' problems...
Old 07-12-2002, 03:14 PM

ok, now the next step.

I have ordered brand new gfx support bars for the camaro and now i have to decide how i am going to put them on, has anyone actually did the SC to RS transition and added the bar? If you have how did you get the bar on? Did you weld it on?
Old 07-12-2002, 08:20 PM

Well, you can't really convert an Sport Coupe to a RS... Just for the mere fact that they're two totally different cars (not to mention that if you ever mess up if you sell it and say its an RS... The VIN will still give the SC away.) But I'm going to put G-FX on my SC (87, so if anybody wants to donate, feel free to do so! )

But as stated before... You really have no other choice than Welding (spot welding) it on there... It's just what you've gotta do...
Old 07-12-2002, 09:51 PM

u know what i ment

This car is not going to ever be sold out of my family's possesion, my father is a mechanic and after i am done with the car he is going to buy it off me, as for the sc to the RS conversion, u know what i ment. I just want to put the RS gfx on my SC.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:25 PM

Noooooo!

Ok, like i said before. Don't let that bar get to you! it's no biggy! Ok, i said drill through the spots, when you get ready to put it on yours, you can just buy some tough screws to attach it to your car, that simple! I've done it! and yes, you do need it! After you've attached that bar, put your side ground effect on. Oh yeah, when your attaching your bar to the car with screws, make sure you get it on at the right position, or else you gonna have problems.... trust me I did the best i could, and it looks pretty good! Let me know if ya have more questions

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails 1986 sports coupe to a 1991 RS questions-camaro-gfx-3.jpg