Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How to Install Power windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Install Power windows

Hey I am gettin my hands on a set of power window motors, wires, and switches this week and I am planning on putting them in this weekend. I was just wondering how hard of a swap it is going to be. I does the power window motor just like bolt up to the existing brakets or whut. Any help would be a blessing, I tried the magic search button but didnt find anything really helpfull. Thanks alot guys, I thank you and my girlfriend thanks you..(Andrew roll up the damn window, Andrea roll down the damn window, Andrea only roll down the window 3/4)
Old 07-08-2002, 07:54 PM

I am in the same boat as you, except I have a donor IROC with th power windows already installed. I am removing them for my Firebird. They are not really bolted in, more like large aluminum ribits. I am trying to get my hands on some now. It looks pretty straight forward. I will try and take pictures as I go.

Mark
Old 07-08-2002, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Yes, I converted over back in the spring.. very easy to do.. I picked up new switches from the dealer, knocked out the caps between the door and the boddy and installed the rubber boots for the wires to go through.. and taped into all the correct wires for power, looks like it was always there. Instead of rivits I used bolts and lock nuts.. If you have access to a large rivit gun to that instead.. getting the nuts on behind is a real PITA! Oh and here is what I did with my door panels where the manual crank went.. Figured it was a good place for a directional tweeter.
Attached Thumbnails How to Install Power windows-camaro09.jpg  
Old 07-08-2002, 08:13 PM

I've done this. It isn't too bad, drilling out those rivets is probably the hardest part. You will have to replace the whole assembly, the motor won't bolt on the existing bracket. The tech article on this site is pretty good. https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/t...rwindows.shtml
Old 07-08-2002, 09:29 PM

follow the link in my signature
Old 07-08-2002, 11:10 PM

2V
No way to say this, but, I LOVE YOU MAN! Thanks for the link.

Pork
Old 07-09-2002, 04:44 PM

Yeah, me too. Thanks guys. I knew I had an edge, since I have the IROC here and know all the parts are there. While I am at it, I am installing new motors on both sides, just to be safe.

Thanks again
Old 07-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I put doors on my car that had manual windows; I had to move my power windows from my old doors into the new doors. I tried using the standard rivets with backup washers- bad idea! The rivets slid around in the large holes, and eventually, thru the stress of the motor, snapped in half. I went to the local hardware store, and just like FastElectrics, picked up a bunch of small bolts, lockwashers, and nuts. The hardware was just wide enough to fit the hole perfectly, and they were short enough so they didn't interfere with anything. (I think they were 3/8" long!) I used some loctite red on 'em, and it's a much better way to go than using standard rivets with washers. It might be easier than hunting down those factory rivets, too. One tip, though- put the bolts thru the inside of the regulator so they poke "out of the door" thru the holes. This way you can work with the nuts on the outside of the door, instead of trying to hold them inside the door.

One tip: Alignment!! Before you remove anything bolted to the door with a 10mm screw, spray some paint over the bolt, or, scribe a mark around the bolthead. This will allow you to reposition the window "exactly" as it was before! Otherwise you'll be screwing around from ZERO, trying to find out how to align the window. Also, 82-84 internals are different than 85-92 internals, but "all internals" will fit in "all doors". You just can't mix pieces of an '83's internals with parts of '88 internals.... and you'd have to see them to understand. I can't explain it well. 'Fact, I think it's time to go home!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: / 89 IROC /
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Its not that hard as long as you have the right tools, but expect a mess like this!
Attached Thumbnails How to Install Power windows-mvc-832f.jpg  
Old 07-09-2002, 09:36 PM

FastElectrics, like that tweeter solution to filling the window crank hole. would you mind if i use a picture of it on the webpage at http://www.geocities.com/modularmoto...n/powerwindows ? (would give you credit of course)
Old 07-21-2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by 2vmodular
follow the link in my signature
2vmodular,

I don't think I can even begin to thank you enough for your information. Not only did you make it look easy, you made the job match. I just finished one door today. I went from aftermarket power windows and locks to stock power windows and locks. Man, what a difference. Thanks again for a great post and an informative article, with pictures even!

One thing I would like to add to those who try this. Wear shoes. I now have stitches in thye ball of my foot from where I stepped on a drilled out 1/4 rivet. OUCH!

Mark
Old 07-21-2002, 09:24 PM

Yeah thanks for that link took me about 10 hours to do it. Had the help of Jim 86 Bir, KZad and JPrevost. We took our time and made sure to get it in right. The only problem was I couldnt find Rivots big enough for the motors. I had to use bolts and boy were they a pain in the **** to put in. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2002, 12:53 AM

geocities wasn't meeting my needs anymore. i was tight on disk space and was getting messages about exceeding the monthly bandwith allocation. now have my own domain name for the website and a different company is hosting it too.

anyways, the new URL for the power window retrofit article is:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/thirdgen/powerwindows