Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Bent Door Post

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent Door Post

I have been trying to align a door on my 88 Camaro and have had the worst time with it. The car was in an accident and took a pretty good hit on the drivers side door and fender.

I was able to pick up a used door and fender fairly cheap at a local U-pull-it. I took the car to a body shop and the guy said that the pilar that the hinges attach to is bent and would need to be pulled. He quoted me a price of $1,000 to pull the pilar out, replace the door hinges, align the door and fender and do a small amount of body work to the lower quarter panel where there is a dent.

That price is just astronomical and way too much. I got the car for $200, and have sunk about $300 into it. Having $1,000 worth of work done to it would defeat the whole purpose of a deal!

I've had the car checked out at a bodyshop before I replaced the front spindles and the frame/subframe got a clean bill of health. The car drives straight.

So this is not a show car, just going to be a nice looking driver. I'm thinking about piling in shims and getting it to line up best I can. We had it pretty darn close once before. And I already drilled the set screw to 1/2" to try adjusting it.

Anybody care to offer insight or tips on what I can do with this problem myself without having to take out a loan? Thanks!