Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

non-stock mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
non-stock mirrors

has anyone ever seen a 3rd gen with the outside rear-view mirrors from a diff car, like a 4th gen or off anything else ?
Old 07-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
nope...but I plan on someday doing that though. Not sure what yet...I'm thinking maybe M3 style...
Old 07-05-2002, 03:46 AM

I had been thinking of doing that, but I had to sell my car Wiring isn't so much a problem, but I was attempting fourth gen mirrors to fit on the plastic part above the door. So, having a solid base to put the mirrors on was an issue. I do know that some GTA's came with old porsche(sp?) style "flag" mirrors, which I understand to be a very rare option. Not much help, but if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to share more on the topic. here is a picture of the diagram I was using to wire the mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails non-stock mirrors-doormirrorssm.jpg  
Old 07-05-2002, 03:47 AM

and a pic of the fourth gen mirrors I was planning to use.
Attached Thumbnails non-stock mirrors-i-1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2002, 03:48 AM

and a view of the back of them. Yeah, I know...but I hate web hosting sites
Attached Thumbnails non-stock mirrors-i-2.jpg  
Old 07-05-2002, 11:29 AM

i went outside and checked - my gta has door mounted mirrors that don't attach to the black thing at all. it's getting painted in about 2-3 months so i can do anything with it.

the twist to this case is that i'm redoing the interior with 4th gen dash console and door panels. on those door panels there's a control pad for the windows and mirrors, so as long as i'm moving the window controls up to the door panels i want to put the mirror control up there too. i know they have diff interfaces so i'll get the 4th gen motors and relays and wire them up to the door too.

i like being able to see who (cops) and what (cop car) are behind me when i'm driving so i'll def. swap out for bigger mirrors
do you have any pictures of a 4th gen mirror on a 3rd gen car, like from a test fit on your own car or anything ?
Old 07-05-2002, 08:18 PM

and revlimit - do you have a test-fit picture of the M3 mirrors ?
Old 07-06-2002, 04:08 AM

Unfortunatly, no pics. Sorry, it was all in the planning stages, but like many things I planned for my car....it's all in the past. I sold it, and am saving for a fourth gen. Third gens never had the mirrors on the plastic part, but that would seem a logical place to put it, as most newer mirrors are mounted in that spot. Take a look at most newer cars, and then look at where mirrors are on most older cars, and you'll see the difference. I'm sure asking for a photoshop favor could help you with what you are looking for.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

Do you still have the mirrors? You looking to sell them?

S.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Hey Steve no fair stealing my idea.

No, seriously I have actually been debating about this on myself. Have been seriously deciding here in the past month. Sux I did not think of it before, when we shaved the handles. I just don't have access to any 4th gen bird mirrors to see if the triangluar section will match up to the triangular section on the 3rd gens.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by redraif
Hey Steve no fair stealing my idea.

No, seriously I have actually been debating about this on myself. Have been seriously deciding here in the past month. Sux I did not think of it before, when we shaved the handles. I just don't have access to any 4th gen bird mirrors to see if the triangluar section will match up to the triangular section on the 3rd gens.
Easy there little sister! I thought about this a while back myself; just haven't had the opportunity to pick up a set of mirrors for cheap - I priced them out at >$100 when I ordered my fourth gen consoles; I just didn't want to add yet another project to my already huge list - nor spend that kind of money on something that may not work.

If you work it though, keep detailed notes!

Steve
Old 07-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Hey I may have a source who can get them for less them that. I'm thinking I remember $25 per. I will let you know. Might couls get a better break if I get more than one set.

I just have to play with ya Steve. Its all good. Us modding fools have to stick together.. I was telling someone a few days back that I was suprised no one had done it yet and shown it off here.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:58 PM

like don't forget me guys - i started the post :P

more seriously, would the mirrors come with the necessary stock relays to wire them up to a power mirror control pad found in 4th gen's ?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:45 PM

all I can say about this is "uggh",

I don't think it could ever look nice....and besides what's wrong with the mirrors that are already there? I've never heard anyone complain about them before....why not spend your time, effort, and money on something more worthwhile?
Old 07-11-2002, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by zer0321
all I can say about this is "uggh",
That's nice.

I don't think it could ever look nice....
Well, thank you for your opinion.

and besides what's wrong with the mirrors that are already there?
Hang on a sec, I'm looking for a quote... Oh here it is:

"depending on your personal opinion of the 4thgen interior, why not have the best of both worlds? I would never buy a 4thgen, but I wouldn't mind having a cupholder... "

Maybe you recognize that quote? Just let me say "depending on your personal opinion of the 4thgen exterior, why not have the best of both worlds? I would never buy a 4thgen, but I wouldn't mind having their mirrors... "

I've never heard anyone complain about them before....
I guess there's a first time for everything. Besides it's different and would look pretty sweet. If you ask me. On top of that, it's not a complaint per se, it's just an idea.

why not spend your time, effort, and money on something more worthwhile?
Ahhhh, and what would that be? Maybe you should tell everyone where THEIR time would be better spent. Please. I implore you. Tell me where to spend my money. My time. Most importantly, my effort.

Maybe YOU should just stick to having a car that looks like every other on the road. Here's a motto for ya: "Stay Safe - Stay STOCK". Enjoy - you could even make it a sticker for your ride. Add the tagline "Hey don't blame me, it's GM's fault - I had nothing to do with it" for those that don't like your car.

Rather, maybe you should take your own advice and spend your time and effort on something worthwhile; instead of imposing what you consider worthwhile on someone else. Or maybe you really DO think your opinion is better than everyone elses?

S.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:48 PM

ok jeez... I didn't want to pick any fights...I apologize if I offended anyone, and I didn't intend to upset anyone, do I have a problem with anyone doing this to their car? no. do I think it will look tacky and unnatural? yes, very much so.

all I am saying is that I don't think it would look natural on our cars, the 4thgens are more rounded and ours are more "boxy" (which is a good thing)

If you don't like my opinion, fine.. I'll agree to disagree, but you don't have to get your panties in a bunch.

Maybe you should tell everyone where THEIR time would be better spent. Please. I implore you. Tell me where to spend my money. My time. Most importantly, my effort.
really? that would be great! -of course I already get the chance to do that on these forums just j/k'ing

lighten up a little! I wasn't bashing anyone's car, and certainly don't intend too....just because I don't like an idea that I hear doesn't mean I should have to be quiet, and it certainly doesn't mean you should listen to me; it's your car do what you want....

[QUOTE]Hang on a sec, I'm looking for a quote... Oh here it is: "depending on your personal opinion of the 4thgen interior, why not have the best of both worlds? I would never buy a 4thgen, but I wouldn't mind having a cupholder... "

heh, your probably thinking your pretty smart trying to use my own words against me; well now I guess I am seeing your point, though I still don't like the idea...but I'll go along with it, fair enough?

Last edited by zer0321; 07-13-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:56 PM

Maybe YOU should just stick to having a car that looks like every other on the road. Here's a motto for ya: "Stay Safe - Stay STOCK".
that's funny; because that's what all the civic guys always harass us about, maybe I should go get a TypeR decal and slap it on?

Enjoy - you could even make it a sticker for your ride. Add the tagline "Hey don't blame me, it's GM's fault - I had nothing to do with it" for those that don't like your car.
If someone doesn't like my ride, that's there own problem; and I could care less....I don't ever recall blaming it's faults on GM
Old 07-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by logikal6785
like don't forget me guys - i started the post :P
Sorry, didn't mean to leave ya out. Join us modding fools and have some fun. I'll hook ya up too.

more seriously, would the mirrors come with the necessary stock relays to wire them up to a power mirror control pad found in 4th gen's ?
See I need to get access to some so I can really look at how they work versus how mine work. Mine are not power, so I would have to go manual or add the power set up from a 4th gen. Either way is fine by me. I have lived w/o power for 12 years and never regretted not having it. I'm not really sure what would be entailed. I wish I had some yards around here that had 4th gen stuff. Like I said, I just had a revelation a month ago and decide to ponder the idea. I really want to do it, so I will keep you posted if I end up doing the maiden voyage on this mod.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:35 PM

Well, if you want to be technical, I had made a post inquiring about this months ago, and no one knew then. I traded the mirrors to a friend a while ago, Scuaffiel, forgot what for now lol. Wiring should be the same if you have power mirrors. My problem was mounting heavy mirrors on a fragile plastic piece. I didn't really want to mount it on the door where the old mirror was. Framless doors..../sigh. Best bet would be to look at a fourth gen and see how pontiac reinforced that section.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
when i do mine i plan to cut a square out of the door (where the mirror attaches), have a custom bracket machined with holes for different style mirrors and weld it back it. not gonna mess with electric mirrors.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:53 PM

trying to help, redraif -

you'd have to use the power window motor out of one of the cars listed on the following page for it to work

http://www.geocities.com/modularmoto.../powerwindows/

so you'd have to get a control pad with bare leads to connect to the thirdgen power window relay/regulator, but with the accompanying relay for the 4th gen power mirror still intact. i'm actually getting both control pads for $60 from a wrecked 199? t/a so i can start on that.

btw while you're converting you may want to install one of those universal switches where you can either hold down the window-down button or you can push it to a 2nd notch and it will roll all the way down with one touch ... that's in my lineup =D
Old 07-12-2002, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Those new window switch designs are cool. Touch it once and it goes all the way down. Well since my car was a base model 2.8 is have spower nothing. I intalled a VPA power lock and window system a few years back. I don't thing there is any way the systems are compatible. Either way I will probably just go with a manual set up. Less hacking on the door and center console. I don't even have teh thridgen realays to tap into. I would have to straight wire and add my own fuses and relays. Don't know how hard it would be w/o a 4th to compare to, so I will probably go manual.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:42 AM

sounds good
Old 07-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Originally posted by redraif
Those new window switch designs are cool. Touch it once and it goes all the way down. Well since my car was a base model 2.8 is have spower nothing. I intalled a VPA power lock and window system a few years back. I don't thing there is any way the systems are compatible.
If I'm not mistaken, the only difference in regular power windows and "express down" power windows is a special relay..the "express down" relay. I didn't know you were interested in adding that, but we probably can. I have 4th gen wiring diagrams, and with that and your VPA diagram I'm sure we can figure it out. As an alternative, I think the realy is probably available aftermarket too, and may be cheaper and easier to wire.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:48 PM

yes, there is a cheaper and easier aftermarket piece - duct tape, the fix-all for everything !

seriously though these should do the trick

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=530T

i can't help but wonder if for $70 i wouldn't rather try to mate the 4th gen relay and one-touch buttons with the window regulator

ps moderators pls don't close this thread, it's still kinda focused
Old 07-20-2002, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member

Unless you can find one in a salvage yard, the 4th gen relay probably costs close to that. I'm not sure if the switches are really any different, I guess I could pull one out of one of my 4th Gens and compare it to a 3rd gen stocker.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:43 AM

i would think the ls1 trans am / z28 would come with optional one touch window down switches ... ?
Old 07-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

All 4th gens with power windows have them standard. I was talking about adding them to Redraif's 87 Firebird, which has aftermarket power windows. Its a base model bird that had no power anything;Shannon added all of it herself.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:02 AM

i saw the pics in the other thread ... looking good
Old 08-16-2002, 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks and here I bet you though I was blowing smoke about doing the conversion.

Still never got the wiring dealt with. They sent power mirrors to me, but without the switches for them. So now I have to track down some 4th gen switches and plates. At least, I don't have to try to integrate it into 3rd power mirror switches.

I'll work it out, no biggie. Here are the links to my post I have pics now.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=123230

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=123228
Old 08-16-2002, 10:45 AM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
do my euro-mirrors count?

i hope to be able to get a pair of us-mirrors soon
Old 08-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Freeze, I'll trade you a set of factory US mirrors for those...I'll even paint them the color of your choice!

I always liked the exporrt mirrors better.

(No, I don't have a third gen yet...but it won't be too much longer!)