Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

UK NEWCOMER!! Seeking BASIC pointers please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK NEWCOMER!! Seeking BASIC pointers please!

HI!

I've just acquired an '84 Trans Am, 305 HO, auto box with T-tops.

After looking it over I have a good idea of what needs doing. This mainly involves headlining / seals / carpets etc. I have found US-based websites for the materials, but I'm after the 'little' bits of trim such as:

- the centre metal panel between the T-tops on the roof
- replacement headlamp motor / assembly
- plastic shroud for the headlamps

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me of some mail order companies in the USA, or the UK, where I can get these bits of trim...

Also, is the headlining something for a professional to do or is it fairly easy?!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Antony.

p.s. Any UK members, I'm in Essex if you're local!
Old 06-30-2002, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend here can get you everything you need and he ships worldwide:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/G...houseofcamaro/

The trim pieces you need for the most part are no longer available, but if they are you stand a good chance of finding them at one of the aftermarket restoration companies like Year One and their subsidiary for our cars called "Next Generation".

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=G

Also, a good source for OEM, NOS parts are the GM dealers. Several sell parts over the internet and of course can ship worldwide. One I like doing business with is "P and G Chevrolet" in Pennsylvania. You can input your type of car and it will do a look-up. They have great prices and service. Highly recommended by me.

https://www.partszoneonline.com/index.php

Good luck with your project!
Old 06-30-2002, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
Hi Antony,
Look on a previous post of mine entitled "overseas shipment" to see a few UK guys experiences with this subject.It's fair to say that parts in the USA are dirt cheap but importing them in small amounts is very pricey.The way it works is that you buy the part over internet/phone(easy enough).plus pay postage-expensive.Once it arrives in UK you must pay duty on part AND POSTAGE (I think this is about 20%-somebody correct me if I'm wrong),and then you must pay VAT on top of that total ie.a tax on a tax.If you do the maths theres no way it can be cheaper importing smaller parcels.The only way it would work out ok is if you spent megabucks and used a shipping container or something.Or I've heard of various scams involving sending parcels as "gifts" etc or knowing a supplier who's willing to be liberal with the truth on the invoice.Until somebody comes up with a foolproof and cheap way of doing it I'll continue to get bits from UK suppliers.I absolutely recommend ringing around as prices can vary as much as 100%!!! Companies who I generally order from are; LA racing-Lee can get you virtually anything from hardcore race parts to general spares(sometimes have to wait a wee bit)
Real steel-Excellent for race and general spares
Rodley motors-Excellent for general spares
I know exactly what your going through Antony and I hope you get your problems sorted.
PS.Hello to all other UK 3rd gen owners

Old 06-30-2002, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there is always "barter"...
I am unfamiliar with the specifics of an 84 but I do hit
the boneyards fairly regularly. If you post a picture
of what you need and a reasonable description

I'll look, tell you what I can do and we can work something
out...

I have friends with an interest in older english cars...