Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Heater box...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Heater box...

dose anyone know how to remove the heater coil box with out taking out the dash? i have removed 3 screws from it (all i could see) but there is still something holding the top of the box inplace that i can't get to.. any ideas?
Old 06-30-2002, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
There's three more at the top. It's tough to do without taking out the dash but it's not impossible. Lots of people here have done so (some of us rather recently). In my case I only needed to take out two of the three screws at the top to get it loose, which was great since I could barely even touch that one much less get a screwdriver bit on it. I did have to pull my dashpad and speaker though, as well as my ECM.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
thanks for the advice, i already have the dash pad off and speakers are still not in yet, so that should help.. about removing the dash, what all holds it in? i see 2 good sized nuts at the top on both sides, but i'm sure theres more to it then that.. any one pulled out their dash before?
Old 06-30-2002, 01:32 PM

Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
Oh **** I took a hammer to mine.Should have looked here first eh.It's not that bad though as the one I scrapped was an A/C one and I want to replace it with a non A/C one(A/C in the UK isn't that crucial and mine needed way too much money spent on it-weighs too much anyway)Where there many cars built with a non-A/C housing or does anyone make an aftermarket one?
Old 06-30-2002, 09:34 PM

Car: '90 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
Offhand I'm not sure how well the dash is held in. Without the centre console in the way, with the dash pad, lower panels radio bezel and radio (and possibly the HVAC controls) removed, there shouldn't be much more than the large nuts on either side. Thankfully I didn't tear it down that far.

How is the A/C heater core different than the non-A/C unit? Just curious...
Old 07-01-2002, 08:43 AM

Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
On the A/C box,the ducting which holds the blower motor also incorporates mucho A/C gear.On the non A/C one the ducting is much smaller as it only has to hold the blower motor and direct the airflow into the inlet on the firewall.Also on the (rare) occasion I saw a non A/C casing, it was made from steel and not recycled beaver turds (looked like that to me!!!)
Old 07-01-2002, 09:28 AM

Car: 87 Iroc Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: T56
I have one of the non A/C cars they also have fresh air inlets under the dash to make up for not having A/C

My car is now a defog only set up. I removed all of the heater acept for the defoger vents in the dash, and the blower. Frees up alot of space and weight and should provide a fair amount of fresh air and keep the windows clear.