Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roll Cage

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not too familiar with roll cages, but my question.... they don't seem too expensive, although I'm sure installation could get costly, but is it possible to restore your interior, or does the car need to remain gutted in order to have room for the roll cage? Or does this differ depending on how many points your cage has? I've heard that you can't really put your back seat back together, is this true? I've seen some pictures on the site, but none that had the interior intact (usually shots of the cages just after they were installed.) I can see how getting in and out gets a bit more difficult with the front bar of the cage extending down over the inside of the door opening.

Mathius
Old 06-21-2002, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably no interior
Old 06-21-2002, 11:42 PM

as an alternative to a complete roll cage, you could always go for a 4-point roll bar like I have.

The previous owner had it installed, but I have taken it apart before when working inside, and it would seem pretty easy to install. There are two mounting points on the floor behind the seats, and two that run along the side of the rear seat (mounts on top of wheel well). It was installed w/ 4 bolts at each point - - granted it could be welded for added stability, but then you'd never get it out.

Also, you can keep the rear seats in, but I wouldnt plan on putting people back there. The only easy way to get into the rear seats is to crawl through the hatch...even then when you do get into the rear seats, you are sitting *way* to close to the roll bar - - if you got into an accident, anybody back there would split their skull open on the bar.

If you want me to snap any more shots of my interior just let me know and i'll be glad to.

BTW, I have since removed my rear seats completely - - saves a few pounds and looks a lot better i think.

Here are some pictures (before I removed the rear seats)

Old 06-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the pictures. I guess obviously any use of the backseat is out if I were to go with it. I just like the idea of the extra safety feature. I don't intend to race once I get a speedier camaro (I'm selling my 6 cylinder to spring for an 8 later), but I still want a beefy engine.

If I were to go with an 8 or possibly 10 point roll cage, could the interior still be put back in in the front at least? I understand they make cages that have bars that somehow swing out, to allow you to get in and out easier around the doors?

Mathius
Old 06-22-2002, 04:26 PM

Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
I built my own 8-point roll bar and by far the trickiest and time consuming part was welding it in(done by a friend).As for using the back seats,forget it, you might as well take them out(along with the rear seatbelt mechanisms-weight).Mine don't have swing out bars as I believe any bolt in type parts on a cage(or any suspension mods) are nowhere near as strong as weld in.Each to his own though.The armrests will probably foul though,but they will either mould themselves to the tubes or you might have to fabricate something else(I'll be doing this).A 10-point cage is probably overkill for a street car unless it is very quick.I am looking into this but am put off by the extensive work around the dash area.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:27 PM

BAK1284: Nice car! Is that bolt-in rollbar an "Autopower" brand by chance? What does the label at the top say? TIA!
Old 06-23-2002, 12:15 AM

doh! forgot about that sticker...lol Just checked and all it says is 'Kirk Racing Products" w/ the contact information.... from Birmingham Alabama...i'll post the addy and phone number if you want
BTW, i added a few more pics on my page showing where it bolts to the frame in case anyone wanted to see
Old 06-23-2002, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
I've seen cages at the track that have the bar going across the back of the front seats a bolt in, and the rest welded. They unbolt it during the week so you can use the back seats, and bolt it back in at the track. It passes tech, so I assume it's safe. If I ever get my car fast enough to require a cage, that's how I'd go.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:34 AM

Great new pics! I copied them all. That is good pictorial info, thanks!
Old 06-23-2002, 12:38 AM

I found a website for Kirk Racing Products. It sounds like that is their own bolt-in rollbar design.

http://www.kirkracing.com/
Old 06-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

Hrm. I'm no engineer, but is it necessary to have the crossbar going so low across the back seat? What I mean is, if the two main bars ran the length of the car, and then you had a cross member running across the hatch, and then right about the middle of the car, running just below the headliner wouldn't that give enough support and still allow you to use your backseat (minutes a tad bit of headroom for getting in and out)?

That Kirk Racing link seems to indicate that they do custom cages, I think I may look into this. What do you guys think?

Mathius
Old 06-23-2002, 02:18 PM

The bar I think your talking about is put in for lateral strength of the main hoop.It basically limits the side to side flexing.I've gone even further and taken 2 from the main hoop diagonally down to the propshaft tunnel.It's important to remember that a rollbar/cage is not just for safety but reduces flex (in much the same way a subframe connector does) in the bodyshell,by connecting all the major subframes together leading to much improved handling.The limit to which you take this is an entirely personal choice,but the more(preferably welded) tubes in the car(but not so it becomes a pain in the ***) the more effective the cage will be.If you think about it the only thing connecting the front of the car and the rear is a flimsy,flexible floorpan and roof(even worse with t-tops).By connecting these two areas together flex will be much reduced.
ps.connecting the rollcage/bar to the s.f. connectors via tubing gives even greater stiffness.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by erictheviking
The bar I think your talking about is put in for lateral strength of the main hoop.It basically limits the side to side flexing.
Right... but what I'm saying is, would it really make that big a difference if that bar was welded just below the ceiling of the vehicle, rather than running midway down the back seats, where it eliminates using them?

I guess basically what I'm saying is, picture the tubes running in a square directly over the roof, and then extending down the sides, and another cross bar somewhere in the rear hatch. Maybe one across the front dash as well, if you wanted more support. I hope this paints a clear picture?

Mathius
Old 06-25-2002, 04:30 PM

I suppose the design I used was very close to what all the big roll cage manufacturers use and they must have done their homework.The bar is there because it offers the most strength in that position.I suppose you could put the bar higher but don't ex
pect the same strength.Cheers for now.
ps.It's probably worth looking at competition engineering or chassis engineering web sites for a better picture.